Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arch View Post
    No such luck, had mine in for 12,000 mile service got it back and runs 5 bars all the time now and won't go lower. Never knew they where going to do a software update. So here we go again with the software junk being just thrown at us and not being informed about it, BRP GUINEA PIGS.
    Not to pick on this post but just using is as an example of what seems to be a prevelant perspective.

Personally, I just can't understand the big deal here. I agree it would be nice if BRP would give us all the ingredients in their latest soup, but beyond that, this is really a non-issue when you apply the facts.

1 Bar - No Change
    2 Bars - No Change
    3 Bars - Comes on at a lower temperature
    4 Bars - Comes on at a lower temperature
    5 Bars - Comes on at a slightly lower temperature
    6 Bars - No Change
    7 Bars - No Change

Actual engine operating temperature - NO CHANGE

So what if we have to adjust to our 'NEW' Normal. My old normal was 3/4 bars, now my new normal is 4/5 bars. Ok, so what? My actual operating temperature is UNCHANGED and that is the important factor here.

Let me put it like this. If BRP had gone the other way, 4 bars now reading 3 bars, 5 bars now reading 4 bars, etc., how many would be upset? No change in your actual coolant temperature mind you, just the psychological impact of a lower reading on your temperature gauge.

I can tell you that people would be RAVING about how much cooler their Spyder was running after this GLORIOUS BRP update. How they aren’t getting nearly as much heat on their right foot as before and that everyone should run down and get it done to their Spyder.

And for the life of me, I don’t know why BRP didn’t do it that way. But we know that engineers are locked in the ridged world of reality, with no concept of how a visual change can impact the average person.

Don’t let the new gauge readings mess with your head. Adapt and enjoy! Nothing has changed except when and were the little cubes show up on your panel. You can handle this!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Hee hee! "Sonny, I'm so old I remember when motorcycles didn't even have temperature gauges."

Like Ron said, forget it and ride...unless limp mode rears its ugly head.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Not to pick on this post but just using is as an example of what seems to be a prevelant perspective.

Personally, I just can't understand the big deal here. I agree it would be nice if BRP would give us all the ingredients in their latest soup, but beyond that, this is really a non-issue when you apply the facts.

1 Bar - No Change
    2 Bars - No Change
    3 Bars - Comes on at a lower temperature
    4 Bars - Comes on at a lower temperature
    5 Bars - Comes on at a slightly lower temperature
    6 Bars - No Change
    7 Bars - No Change

Actual engine operating temperature - NO CHANGE

So what if we have to adjust to our 'NEW' Normal. My old normal was 3/4 bars, now my new normal is 4/5 bars. Ok, so what? My actual operating temperature is UNCHANGED and that is the important factor here.

Let me put it like this. If BRP had gone the other way, 4 bars now reading 3 bars, 5 bars now reading 4 bars, etc., how many would be upset? No change in your actual coolant temperature mind you, just the psychological impact of a lower reading on your temperature gauge.

I can tell you that people would be RAVING about how much cooler their Spyder was running after this GLORIOUS BRP update. How they aren’t getting nearly as much heat on their right foot as before and that everyone should run down and get it done to their Spyder.

And for the life of me, I don’t know why BRP didn’t do it that way. But we know that engineers are locked in the ridged world of reality, with no concept of how a visual change can impact the average person.

Don’t let the new gauge readings mess with your head. Adapt and enjoy! Nothing has changed except when and were the little cubes show up on your panel. You can handle this!
    I agree.. Any level headed humanoid should be able to handle this..... do like i did, like the song says "keep on ridin"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Hee hee! "Sonny, I'm so old I remember when motorcycles didn't even have temperature gauges."

Like Ron said, forget it and ride...unless limp mode rears its ugly head.
    I rode a lot of bikes where you were lucky to get an idiot light for low oil pressure on the speedometer.

Tachometers were a BIG Deal and only came on some premium motorcycles.

Fuel gauge? Who needed it? When your bike started to sputter just lean over and turn the valve to 'Reserve'.

I remember the feeling when I would reach down and discover that the valve was already on Reserve! What kind of Idiot would forget to turn that stupid valve back when they got fuel?!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

7 Bars - No Change
    I have a question: how you get the Spyder to "old style" 7 bars?
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I remember the feeling when I would reach down and discover that the valve was already on Reserve! What kind of Idiot would forget to turn that stupid valve back when they got fuel?!
    Hey, Whats the sense of being Stupid if you don't show it every now and then. Believe me i've done that a few times in the olden days.
    And not so long ago on my ATV, Don't you hate walking on the side of the road with a gas can in hand ?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I rode a lot of bikes where you were lucky to get an idiot light for low oil pressure on the speedometer.

Tachometers were a BIG Deal and only came on some premium motorcycles.

Fuel gauge? Who needed it? When your bike started to sputter just lean over and turn the valve to 'Reserve'.

Spyder Garage

People are making way too big a deal out of all this. It's an update we'll all end up with eventually- and I'll bet the new models come with it already.

The owner need not worry about the bars at all - if the spyder gets too hot it will go into limp mode before and damage occurs.

There's also now some confusion since a totally different RT only update has entered this thread- totally unrelated to the GS/RS cluster update.

Just ride the darn things already!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!