Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I never ride without my helmet!! I think it's common sense to wear one, but to each his/her own I say.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Force View Post
    TEXTING isn't the same issue! That is a safety issue like drunken driving. A person not wearing a helmet isn't going to cause someone to hit me head on. That is comparing apples to oranges here. The only safety issue with not wearing a helmet is to the person who decides not to wear one! I also agree about the liability insurance. Others shouldn't have to pay for someone elses choice.
    Agreed!!

Quote Originally Posted by vampyregirl View Post
    I never ride without my helmet!! I think it's common sense to wear one, but to each his/her own I say.
    Agreed!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Agreed!!

Agreed!!
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

I thought there was a forum rule about political discussions? This should be closed, because it is not a simple discussion about freedom. It's a political discussion about me and everyone else that either pays taxes or insurance premiums funding other peoples' poor choices. I don't care if you wear your helmet or seatbelt, I just don't want to pay for your care once you've been injured and exhausted the limits of your insurance.
    Old Spyder Mods:
    No Magic Neon Triple Play II, Leo Vince SBK Exhaust, MMG Backrest, BRP Seat Skin, XOPRODOX Grips & Throttle Rocker, Paint By Tallant's Hot Rods, Kewl Metal Air Filter, Juice Box, Evoluzione O2 Mod, DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap, Ride Wright Mojo Wheels and Pulley, Custom Handlebars, Relocated Ignition Switch, Madstad Robo Brackets, Evoluzione Swaybar, RT Shocks/Springs, Toyo R1R, Odyssey Battery, Lowered Shock Mount, SFB Floorboards, Fenderless w/ Custom License Bracket.

Spyder Garage

I also have two. The weather determines which one I wear. However, I always wear one, not only because it's the law, I wouldn't be caught dead without one. I too have been in the fire rescue field and have seen what happens when safety PPE isn't worn.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I always wear a helmet and the reason is very simple. What I would do if I knew when I left home that I was going to crash before I got back. The next question is how do I know that I'm not going to crash. I believe everyone should have the freedom to make their own choice, however, whether I agree with their choice or not.

I also agree with others that the question of cell phones and/or texting is not the same. There is absolutely no question in my mind that such actions should be against the law.

Cotton

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=SSG Bean;345514]I thought there was a forum rule about political discussions? This should be closed... QUOTE]
    Interesting...
    As motorcyclists, (or Spyderists! ); pretty near every discussion is going to fall somewhere near "freedom" and how it is either being threatened or being fought for...
    If I were to try and read the administrator's mind, (Horrible thought! ), I would bet more than a nickel that they were looking to avoid the whole Red/Blue whatever fistfights that can occur when my guy is better than sliced bread and mother's milk and your guy is just a

We DO have a lot of fun with helmets and shift-points though...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I worked in a rehab for brain injurys...needless to say we had people that were in motorcyle accidents. So frustrating seeing this guy...knowing what was going on yet unable to move any body parts and only voicing grunts. I also wiped out on my bike and recalling my helmet bouncing off the payment. Looking at it later made me so glad I had it on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Any person who chooses to operate a motorcycle without a helmet would be required to carry life and disability insurance that will cover the medical costs of caring for a a brain injured person for as long as that person will survive. I am sure an insurance company actuary could come up with the relevant premium for such coverage.

This solution does have a flaw of course. The police would have to set up motorcycle checkpoints to make sure helmet less riders have the appropriate coverage.

Maybe it is just easier to obey helmet laws. Less intrusive
    I always worn my helmet! To me it's a matter of common sense. But, I believe it's YOUR choice as long as you foot the bill. We should not have to pay for your choice when you decide to go without a helmet.
    2015 RT-S SE6
    USAF Retired 1973-1994

Support our Troops

pitbull

YA JUST WHAT WE NEED MORE LAWS THAT WILL KEEP US ALL MUCH SAFER.....WHERE DOES IT STOP?????????????

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have two, weather determines which I wear. I do believe in them.
    Not in texting.

Pete

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CJ/johnnyg View Post
    Always, But I think it should be your choice, If you want to be an idiot so be it. That is what America is suppose to be about FREEDOM
    INTERESTING that your response was always and yet you attached pic shows a rider with none on... Haha

Spyder Garage

I believe it should be a freedom of choice.... I choose to wear a helmet and a seat belt. A seat belt saved my life when I was only 18 years old and my car did a nose flip on a downtown Indianapolis street about 12 1/2 years ago.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmMick View Post
    I always worn my helmet! To me it's a matter of common sense. But, I believe it's YOUR choice as long as you foot the bill. We should not have to pay for your choice when you decide to go without a helmet.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

I have three and the wife has two. We may still end up with another pair. Being retired military and the wife being a reservist I suspect any accident without a helmet on would result in problems with Tricare. Being a former police officer I have seen enough accidents to be a believer in safety gear.

OTOH where does all of the safety rules end? Crash cages with air bags? Or motorcycles, etc. declared unsafe for highway use.

Texting while driving is a whole different subject and IMO just as bad as driving drunk or worse.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmMick View Post
    What about your choice when you decide to smoke, or eat too much or not exersize or ride a bicycle (insanely dangerous on the road) and so on.

This we shouldn't have to pay has been created by people who would take your freedoms away.

If it had been proven that riding with a helmet is actually significantly safer, all states would have the law. There are actually good arguments against helmet safety. One of the main being that a helmet is only rated to protect you up to 15 mph... Did you know that?

Did you know that the statistics they rattle off about deaths increasing whenever a state gets rid of it's helmet laws are made not so significant because there is a huge increase in ridership wherever they do so which actually explains the increase in deaths?

Do some research on both sides just don't believe the side you think you want to be true

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kismaokole View Post
    State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars.

He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.
    I work in medicine, we call those guys organ donors.
    Its ok if you dont care about yourself. Think about your loved ones coming to identify what used to be a person....you dont look cool without it then.

Spyder Garage
    The Girlz,
    2015 Red RT-S SE5
    2015 Denim Blue ST-Limited SE5
    Black 2010 RT-622

pitbull

What about all the problems with helments...lack of visabilty, hearing, balance????? I understand all the plus's...but there is some down sides too. It should be your right, next it will be padded suits and so on. Its a bike, not the safest thing any of us have done. But we choose to ride any ways. Lets not get to high minded, and guilt trip and look down on thous who don't belive in them.......its all in the eye of the ryder....we don't need more laws!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by challman View Post
    What about your choice when you decide to smoke, or eat too much or not exersize or ride a bicycle (insanely dangerous on the road) and so on.

This we shouldn't have to pay has been created by people who would take your freedoms away.

If it had been proven that riding with a helmet is actually significantly safer, all states would have the law. There are actually good arguments against helmet safety. One of the main being that a helmet is only rated to protect you up to 15 mph... Did you know that?

Did you know that the statistics they rattle off about deaths increasing whenever a state gets rid of it's helmet laws are made not so significant because there is a huge increase in ridership wherever they do so which actually explains the increase in deaths?

Do some research on both sides just don't believe the side you think you want to be true
    I don't smoke and I still exercise. My choice!! If you want to ride without a helmet it's your choice, but I should not have to split the cost for taking care of you after wards.

If you are involved in an accident is a helmet going to save your life. Maybe, maybe not. It all depend on a lot of factors. Safety equipment does have a purpose, and generally does help. We could go on and on about the subject of wearing helmets. It's been debated over and over again and will probably be for many years.

My choice is to wear safety gear. It's you choice on what you decide to do.. Just don't expect me to foot the bill.

I believe I can find as many resources on the benefits of wearing helmets as you can find against it. Sure am glad we all have our own choices!!!!!!
    2015 RT-S SE6
    USAF Retired 1973-1994

Support our Troops

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by the pitbull buggy View Post
    What about all the problems with helments...lack of visabilty, hearing, balance????? ...we don't need more laws!
    Your peripheral vision doesn't wrap far enough around to the sides to allow you to see our own helmet's edges. (I do agree with you that more laws won't solve anything... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I always wear my helmet--law or no law.

No helmet law for drivers of mc in AK--but passengers are required to wear one---no idea on the rationale for that.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

pitbull

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Your peripheral vision doesn't wrap far enough around to the sides to allow you to see our own helmet's edges. (I do agree with you that more laws won't solve anything... )
    To me I see alot better with out one, but thats just a matter of personal "VIEWS"....Just saying it should be about freedom. And all this expecting other to pay....isn't there laws for that too...Insurance and so on. Just say we shouldn't put our personal views, and guilt trips onto others, thats why this is America.....freedom to choose. If you want to great, if you don't to don't. Friends its a choice, shouldn't be another law.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default HELMETS

Remenber it's not the fall that gets you it's the sudden stop. Helmets by be rated at 15 MPH but in 1999 on I40 N.C. and a dog running in my lane I went down at 65 MPH. Untill the next day I did not know that my helmet hit the road the mark it left was a large one. Without the helmet I don't know if I would have been able to get up and walk off the interstate before the traffic ran me over I rolled straight down the center and stopped stood up and looked at all the lights coming at me. As soon as I found grass the traffic passed me no one knew there had been a accident. so I beleive the helmet did it's job.

Spyder Garage

I've ridden with a helmet since 1973 when Wisconsin required them. Had my first bike accident in 1973, was run off the road by an oncoming car in my lane. Hit a farmers stone fence and flipped over the bike and myself. The helmet was cracked across the forehead. Believe in my heart I would not have gotten up from that hit without the helmet.

Unless your state requires a helmet it is the riders choice. I chose to wear one, I don't judge the rider who does not.

Keep the government out of the discussion. We all pay (insurance rates) for ALL the costs payed out by the insurance industry.
    Very Happy Owner