Thread: exhaust fire

Spyder Garage

Default exhaust fire

HELP! Last nite my one of my spyders caught on fire (not hurt). Here's the story -

We are on vacation in myrtle beach,last nite I went for a ryde down the strip. On the way back to the room I went back down the strip - or main drag. traffic was slow and I revved it up a few times, two or three times. Then it started running bad - no codes, it would not pull.acted like I was dragging the world. or something was wrapped around the back wheel. So I stopped to check it out, turned the spyder off and flames and smoke came out the exhaust pipe. I put it out with a power aid. After I waited a while I started the Spyder up and drove it back to the room. It still ran rough and seems louder. I have not started it yet this morning. any thoughts or has this happened to anyone else?
    I'd rather be on 3 wheels, but 18 pays the BILLs!
    We are a two SpYder family!

N1RDH

Spyder Garage

stock pipe.

N1RDH

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mine did the same thing.Front spark plug had fouled out.

Spyder Garage

Same here but it was the plug wires. No power, missing just off idle.
    Replaced both wires and added the iridium plugs. Cat may have plugged up so a modification might be in order.

Spyder Garage

You wounded a plug, plug wire, coil, or ECM, and the unburned fuel gathered and caught fire in the exhaust.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder is running great!

Replaced both plugs, running like new! But now I have a mess on my pipe.

N1RDH

Spyder Garage

Although it's made by Wood, I don't think it will burn.
    http://rotax.net/index.php?main_page...products_id=96
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

By cooking all the stuff in the can could the muffler baffles and or crapalytic converter been damaged?

...running louder...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    By cooking all the stuff in the can could the muffler baffles and or crapalytic converter been damaged?

...running louder...
    It did "seem" louder but after the plugs were changed (DIY) it's about the same.. I think. LOL

N1RDH

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by katnapper View Post
    It did "seem" louder but after the plugs were changed (DIY) it's about the same.. I think. LOL
    Catalytic Converter's can go to 900f+ When they first put them in cars [77?] if you parked on grass, sometimes they would set the grass on fire.
    Now there shielded.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by katnapper View Post
    Replaced both plugs, running like new! But now I have a mess on my pipe.
    hi….we just took out my wife’s Spyder a few days ago for its first ride and the exact same issue happened to us….changing the plugs fixed it ???….and if you did the plugs yourself, was it very difficult….i’ve had all the panels off before for something else i did…thx

Scott
    Last edited by BillyBarrie; 06-06-2022 at 04:08 PM.

Spyder Garage

Wow .. Terrible thing for a first time poster. This was an 11 year old thread

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Yes. From 7/2011

It got me too. Until I started noticing that most of the posters were from way back when.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Wow .. Terrible thing for a first time poster. This was an 11 year old thread
    i know…crazy eh…we just bought this Spyder 2 yrs ago…it’s a 2012 and only had a few thousand miles on it…gonna start taking the panels off tomorrow and see how difficult it is to get to the plugs…if it seems too difficult, i’ll take it to the dealer…

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBarrie View Post
    i know…crazy eh…we just bought this Spyder 2 yrs ago…it’s a 2012 and only had a few thousand miles on it…gonna start taking the panels off tomorrow and see how difficult it is to get to the plugs…if it seems too difficult, i’ll take it to the dealer…
    If it's not critical that you give this a go yourself, just bite the bullet, save yourself a bunch of time & some skinned knuckles/claret leaks and take it to the dealer to start with!

One of the plugs on the V-Twins is reasonably easy to get at (the rear plug? Mental block atm. ) you probably won't lose too much skin or leak too much claret in getting it swapped out . But the other one (front?? ) is a right pain to get at!! .

If you are truly wedded to giving it a try yourself/at home, make sure you've got plenty of trauma dressings, patience, and a whole heap of words on hand.... . and it also might be a good idea to pre-book an ambulance & a tilt tray to get you to the ER & your Spyder to the dealer's if/when you do finally give up in disgust!

Well, ok, I might be exaggerating juuust a little, but then again....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-06-2022 at 08:44 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

It's not that hard, quit scaring him . As finless bob used to say,"it's fiddlely, not hard, just fiddlely". I got the air box out without too much aggravation, and decided to put one of JT's air filters in it instead. Much easier to work around.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-06-2022 at 11:57 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I used to be a Process Engineer at a plant that made catalytic convertor cores. They are calcined at high temperatures, but unburned fuel will be burned in the cc during engine operation. This can cause extremely high temperatures, and I have seen them get melted. I mean the ceramic substrate was melted. That takes a very high temperature but it does happen.
    2012 Blue Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

hi guys….well, i went out to the garage this morning and had the airbox out in less than an hour….and no skinned knuckles….no ambulance required…(i’m a newly retired paramedic)….the local BRP dealer has the plugs in stock, so i’m heading over….just HOPING that the plug(s) is the cause of the problem but our issue is exactly as Katnapper described so i’m keeping my fingers crossed….
    i’ll update here after it’s all back together…..thx for the interest in giving your 2 cents guys !!!

Scott

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBarrie View Post
    hi guys….well, i went out to the garage this morning and had the airbox out in less than an hour….and no skinned knuckles….no ambulance required…(i’m a newly retired paramedic)….the local BRP dealer has the plugs in stock, so i’m heading over….just HOPING that the plug(s) is the cause of the problem but our issue is exactly as Katnapper described so i’m keeping my fingers crossed….
    i’ll update here after it’s all back together…..thx for the interest in giving your 2 cents guys !!!

Scott
    If you have the parts OFF the Spyder - I would buy the Plug Wires also .... NOT OEM ones ..... get some from BajaRon , they are the best and should last forever. .... the ones from BRP are JUNK ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

well i didn’t change the wires but did get the new plugs installed….runs great now…lots of power….the exhaust had some smoke coming out for a short time until it cleared up….thx again guys !!!….ride safe…

Scott