Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Bret BRP messed up my Spyder!!

First off I do not believe in coincidence, my Spyder was running great perfect till Bret mess it up.

On Saturday Bret hocked up my spyder to the computer/buds and said he was doing a software update the one that deals with the mileage counter not re-setting to 0. Well after he did this all hell broke loose bike when into limp mode check engine and other light came on, it took him over 10 min to get it all to go away and now there is my temperature problem. My bike ran with 4 bars in the temp gauge most of the time very really I saw 5 bars and it would be for a short time on the highway it always ran 3 bars on the highway unless it was 90 and above. I discovered this after a ride that day and went back to him and told him something was wrong and he said it could not be as he did not do anything except update the mileage counter I reminded him about the limp more and other light that took him a while to re-set and still said he did not do anything else and had many other bikes in line and might not get to it at all

well he F up my bike I AM CONVINCED. Today was the first chance I had to
    ride and as I said temps get to 5 bars just after 5 min and does not move fan stays on all the time now and it does not goes off even at 80MPG on the highway riding for many miles with the air temp at 67. I have no coolant leak
    and the over flow bottle is so hot I can't touch it. As I said I do not believe in
    coincidence bike ran perfect before he f it up now I will have to pay to have the dealer hook it up to the buds and see what the HELL he did, you have no idea how pissed I am right now there is no way you can tell me that Bret did not mess up something while trying to remove all the limp check and other lights than cane on after the so called mileage counter update.

Maybe I have The tech's name wrong it might be Kurt that does not matter there is still a problem that what ever his name is caused.
    Last edited by burg650; 06-29-2011 at 04:09 PM.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
    First off I do not believe in coincidence, my Spyder was running great perfect till Bret mess it up.

On Saturday Bret hocked up my spyder to the computer/buds and said he was doing a software update the one that deals with the mileage counter not re-setting to 0. Well after he did this all hell broke loose bike when into limp mode check engine and other light came on, it took him over 10 min to get it all to go away and now there is my temperature problem. My bike ran with 4 bars in the temp gauge most of the time very really I saw 5 bars and it would be for a short time on the highway it always ran 3 bars on the highway unless it was 90 and above. I discovered this after a ride that day and went back to him and told him something was wrong and he said it could not be as he did not do anything except update the mileage counter I reminded him about the limp more and other light that took him a while to re-set and still said he did not do anything else and had many other bikes in line and might not get to it at all well he F up my bike I AM CONVINCED. Today was the first chance I had to ride and as I said temps get to 5 bars just after 5 min and does not move fan stays on all the time now and it does not goes off even at 80MPG on the highway riding for many miles with the air temp at 67. I have no coolant leak and the over flow bottle is so hot I can't touch it. As I said I do not believe in coincidence bike ran perfect before he f it up now I will have to pay to have the dealer hook it up to the buds and see what the HELL he did, you have no idea how pissed I am right now there is no way you can tell me that Bret did not mess up something while trying to remove all the limp check and other lights than cane on after the so called mileage counter update.
    who or what is bret??

Spyder Garage

So are you saying that the fan is running ALL the time... no matter how many bars you're at??

Shouldn't turn on until 5 bars.

Is it going into limp mode-- or just running more bars than what you believe it ran before?

I personally think many get too worried about how many temp bars they're running. 5 bars is not abnormal at all - and varied conditions will affect it--- heat, riding style, altitude, riding up steep hills, etc.

I think rider observance of the heat bars is similar to seat of the pants dyno testing---- mileage will vary....

That being said--- it's your bike and you should know it best--- so have your local dealer hook it back up and check it out if you're that concerned - especially if you're actually going into limp mode...

I don't recall a 'Bret' there working on Spyders... but might have missed him.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Wow, I am very sorry to hear this. After visiting with you at Maggie Valley, I know you are another one who knows what is normal for your Spyder and can tell this is not within that range. I also hate that you need to take it to the dealer to see what is going on, but feel it is the best thing to do at this point. Hopefully it will be an easy reset through BUDS or something and your issue will be fixed quickly.

Best of luck to you, and please let us know what you find the trouble to be.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm about the least-qualified human on the Planet as far as hooking things up to computers... I think that I'd be pretty reluctant to let anybody hook it up if I didn't know and trust them first...
    Why not let your local dealer hook it up and see if they can undo the changes??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It seems to be an obvious cause/effect issue--and the computer changes altered your bike.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-27-2011 at 12:11 AM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    who or what is bret??

Bret is a name!! maybe I got it wrong I think it is Kurt actually but for sure I have this problem and what ever his name is it's his fault.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Called the dealer I go to for my services (Ledgewood Powersports in Ledgewood NJ) and tried to see if I could go down this Friday to check out the computer on the spyder, could not talk to Joe the services manger who I always deal with and who is always helpful anyway some other guy called me back and I explain the problem to him and he said the earliest they can see me is 3 week from today the 28th and I ask are you kidding me I have to wait three week for a 5 to 10 min computer/buds check up. The only reason I go over an hour in the first place is the spyder mechanic Bob is really good that's the only reason I go there I trust him to work on my spyder but I am not comfortable riding the bike the way it is and it's not winter it's riding season and to wait 3 week for them to check it out seem really long for what I am asking. I will have to look into another dealer who will get me in and out no and I don't want to go to Motorcycle Mall in Belleville as I don't trust them. So anyone has a suggestions as to where I can take it to have it checked out in the NJ area or close to it, I am even more furious now.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Call these people

HORN'S OUTDOOR INC.
    1169 Mt. Bethel Hwy
    Mt. Bethel PA 18343
    Tel.: 610.588.6614

Roger, give this place a call. I stopped in there once, just a small place, but maybe they can get you in more quickly.
    I don't think teir too far off RT 80.

Bill

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Called the dealer I go to for my services (Ledgewood Powersports in Ledgewood NJ) and tried to see if I could go down this Friday to check out the computer on the spyder, could not talk to Joe the services manger who I always deal with and who is always helpful anyway some other guy called me back and I explain the problem to him and he said the earliest they can see me is 3 week from today the 28th and I ask are you kidding me I have to wait three week for a 5 to 10 min computer/buds check up. The only reason I go over an hour in the first place is the spyder mechanic Bob is really good that's the only reason I go there I trust him to work on my spyder but I am not comfortable riding the bike the way it is and it's not winter it's riding season and to wait 3 week for them to check it out seem really long for what I am asking. I will have to look into another dealer who will get me in and out no and I don't want to go to Motorcycle Mall in Belleville as I don't trust them. So anyone has a suggestions as to where I can take it to have it checked out in the NJ area or close to it, I am even more furious now.
    I think the Spyder is a problem child for most full line dealers,and working on them takes too much time from their other brands. Ledge wood sells a lot more Kawasaki and Polaris than Spyders, And they don't tie up their 10 by 10 shop like the Spyders do. I know them well last summer i bought a Er-6n from them, Up until a month ago I would have told you to try Rusty's. Ive been doing business with them since 1983 bought over 35 assorted machines from them over the years. Take my Side by side's Quads or bikes to them in and out with no problems, Bring the Spyder in and it always sits waiting for parts,Wish i could recommend some one close but.

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bill pitman View Post
    HORN'S OUTDOOR INC.
    1169 Mt. Bethel Hwy
    Mt. Bethel PA 18343

Roger, give this place a call. I stopped in there once, just a small place, but maybe they can get you in more quickly.

Bill
    I got my Spyder from Horns Outdoor and was treated great but when I called for DPS recall in Oct and followed up with calls every three weeks lets just say I stopped calling in Dec and a bird must have stolen there DPS list cause I still have not bin called.

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

Any decent dealer would hook you up to BUDS at the drop of a hat. I had one hook me up in Dry Ridge near Cincinnati to clear a break code---- he cleared the code-- tested the brake pressure, topped off the fluid and did the odometer update---- on the spot --- no charge.

Is it going into limp mode from overheating?

Spyder Garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine runs more bars after getting the cluster update, I think they just changed the ratio of bars to degrees. Bike doesn't run any different.

That is, I never saw five bars except on hot summer days or in traffic. Now five bars is the norm.
    Last edited by j45p3r; 06-29-2011 at 03:26 PM.
    Happy 2009 Roadster Red SM5 Owner
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust w/P1X Tips | Two Brothers Juice Box | KewlMetal Intake | Amber Fender Tip Lights | Fog Lights | SilverStar Headlights | Trunk Liner | 12v Acc. Plug | BRP Comfort Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Any decent dealer would hook you up to BUDS at the drop of a hat. I had one hook me up in Dry Ridge near Cincinnati to clear a break code---- he cleared the code-- tested the brake pressure, topped off the fluid and did the odometer update---- on the spot --- no charge.

Is it going into limp mode from overheating?
    No it's not going into limp or overheating, well not yet anyway. The problem is before the update I ran 4 bars most of the time and on the highway it would drop to 3 sometime only if it was in the 90's and up would I see 5 bars and that would be for a short time as I have the spal controller and it is set to come on at 50% at 4 bars just before 5 then if it did get to 5 the fan would switch to 100% and would run and hen back to 4 bars and fan would turn off also when the bike is cooled off and I start it the bars would increase slowly to 4 now 3 to 4 min I am up to 5 bars and stayes there and fan also come on and never goes off even on the highway so now the next problem will be a
    burned out fan because it's running all the time. There is no way anyone is going to convince me that this update has not cause this running hotter problem, even with my exhaust wrap the whole bike feels much hottes as well.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bill pitman View Post
    HORN'S OUTDOOR INC.
    1169 Mt. Bethel Hwy
    Mt. Bethel PA 18343

Bill
    I called them today and they told me they will be closing next week for vacation and trying to finish what work they have so they could not spare not even a min, and to call back in three weeks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by j45p3r View Post
    Mine runs more bars after getting the cluster update, I think they just changed the ratio of bars to degrees. Bike doesn't run any different.

That is, I never saw five bars except on hot summer days or in traffic. Now five bars is the norm.
    You know-- that's an interesting point--- I do believe that mine is showing more bars too after the cluster update..... I frankly just don't pay that much attention to the number of bars-- except to make sure it's up to 1 or 2 before taking off.

hmmm

Spyder Garage

No it's not going into limp or overheating, well not yet anyway. The problem is before the update I ran 4 bars most of the time and on the highway it would drop to 3 sometime only if it was in the 90's and up would I see 5 bars and that would be for a short time as I have the spal controller and it is set to come on at 50% at 4 bars just before 5 then if it did get to 5 the fan would switch to 100% and would run and hen back to 4 bars and fan would turn off also when the bike is cooled off and I start it the bars would increase slowly to 4 now 3 to 4 min I am up to 5 bars and stayes there and fan also come on and never goes off even on the highway so now the next problem will be a
    burned out fan because it's running all the time. There is no way anyone is going to convince me that this update has not cause this running hotter problem, even with my exhaust wrap the whole bike feels much hottes as well.
    It may very well be they changed the readout---- as now that I think of it I have noticed mine showing more bars since the cluster update. Doesn't mean the bike is running hotter at all-- perhaps they just changed the ratio and the timing of when the fan comes on. The fan will last a long time--- actually the most wear they get is turning them on---- once they're on there's not much wear.

Put it this way--- the fan would die much sooner from turning it on and off a lot than it would just running it all the time.....

Maybe BRP can chime in and tell us if they have made a software update to the fan and bar readings.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you're not going into limp mode....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It may very well be they changed the readout---- as now that I think of it I have noticed mine showing more bars since the cluster update. Doesn't mean the bike is running hotter at all-- perhaps they just changed the ratio and the timing of when the fan comes on. The fan will last a long time--- actually the most wear they get is turning them on---- once they're on there's not much wear.

Put it this way--- the fan would die much sooner from turning it on and off a lot than it would just running it all the time.....

Maybe BRP can chime in and tell us if they have made a software update to the fan and bar readings.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you're not going into limp mode....

Firefly what ever they did they should have let us know first, for me running hot is not good as I feel much more heat than before coming from both sides and this does make me not want to ride it yes it's that hot. I wish BRP would have said something about this, hey Carlos answer my email will you. I don't like my Spyder being changed without my approval no matter what it is and I hope this update can be reversed and put back the way it was as I for one did and will not need the cluster update as I will never reach the 100000 km or 62138 miles to make it go back to 0.

Spyder Garage

Firefly what ever they did they should have let us know first, for me running hot is not good as I feel much more heat than before coming from both sides and this does make me not want to ride it yes it's that hot. I wish BRP would have said something about this, hey Carlos answer my email will you. I don't like my Spyder being changed without my approval no matter what it is and I hope this update can be reversed and put back the way it was as I for one did and will not need the cluster update as I will never reach the 100000 km or 62138 miles to make it go back to 0.
    I really don't think any change they did in the cluster would affect the actual temp--- but crazier things have happened on Spyders before.....

If you're getting a lot of heat on your legs it could be a sign of another problem--- bad Y gaskets.....

Spyder Garage

I really don't think any change they did in the cluster would affect the actual temp--- but crazier things have happened on Spyders before.....

If you're getting a lot of heat on your legs it could be a sign of another problem--- bad Y gaskets.....
    I just went through 3 days of classes on BUDS and I can pretty much tell you for a fact that any change that was made on BUDS in Maggie Valley did not change the operating temps of his Spyder. It would be like buying four new tires and the next morning your car won't start so it must have been the tire guys who did it.

Spyder Garage

I just noticed you said you have exhaust wrap.
    How long since you/whoever installed it?
    Depending on where you put the wrap that could be moving more heat to another area of the bike that doesn't need/can't handle it.
    Any heat that would have been radiated out underneath, or at the front of the bike is now being trapped and released somewhere else along the bike at a hotter temperature than it should be!!??
    Where???
    This could be causing overheating in other areas of the machine not designed to cope with it.
    I only suggest this because I recall when I had a chevy v8 I put some trick headers and exhaust on it. Because they were aluminum they made the engine bay excessively hot so I wrapped the headers in heat tape.
    After my first drive I literally could not put my feet(with shoes) on the floor as the immense heat had been contained from the engine bay and was being released as soon as it reached the end of the tape...straight into the floor of the car and up into the cabin.
    Good luck with your problem
    cheers
    Pete
    Last edited by Vyperyder; 06-30-2011 at 12:36 AM.
    2011 RTS SE5 Vyper Red, high led brake light, cb/gps/headsets

Spyder Garage

I just wonder if this "Bret" who now seems to be Kurt is the same person who is teaching Lamont at the tech school? Hmmmmmmmmmm?

Chris

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So anyone has a suggestions as to where I can take it to have it checked out in the NJ area or close to it, I am even more furious now.
    Roger, as we talk in MV, have the coolant container replace...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I just wonder if this "Bret" who now seems to be Kurt is the same person who is teaching Lamont at the tech school? Hmmmmmmmmmm?

Chris
    Yes he is, he's also one of 3 head techs here in the US and when the techs at the dealers can't figure out a problem they call Kurt. I talked to him about it last night when we were doing my clutch and all he did was clear some existing "non active" fault codes and update the cluster with the odometer fix. There's nothing in BUDS that can change how hot it runs. I'm not saying there's nothing going on with Rogers Spyder, just that BUDS didn't do it.