Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure message

Now it's my turn to ask for help.

10k miles across 2.5 years, 2008 SE-5, stock powertrain. Three weeks ago, got "Brake Failure" scrolling message for the first time ever. NOT in limp-home mode, no other codes, could not make it go away until dealer hooked up BUDS, went through brake bleed program (didn't crack open any bleeder valves), the code went away. Cost me $60.

Three weeks later, same thing. Have an appointment with the dealer, but he has no specific ideas of the cause.

What I seek is anyone who's had this failure code and what was the remedy. I don't want to repeatedly pay just to get the code reset without finding the underlying fault.

The manual says low fluid (its not), leak (none), or faulty sensor (which one?). By the way, the brakes are working fine.

Thank you for your help
    Last edited by GaryTheBadger; 06-24-2011 at 06:44 PM.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem and it was low brake fluid. I know you said it's not in your case, but these machines are VERY sensitive to low fluid. I think mine took about half an ounce total. Sorry, that's all I got.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post
    Now it's my turn to ask for help.

10k miles across 2.5 years, 2008 SE-5, stock powertrain. Three weeks ago, got "Brake Failure" scrolling message for the first time ever. NOT in limp-home mode, no other codes, could not make it go away until dealer hooked up BUDS, went through brake bleed program (didn't crack open any bleeder valves), the code went away. Cost me $60.

Three weeks later, same thing. Have an appointment with the dealer, but he has no specific ideas of the cause.

What I seek is anyone who's had this failure code and what was the remedy. I don't want to repeatedly pay just to get the code reset without finding the underlying fault.

The manual says low fluid (its not), leak (none), or faulty sensor (which one?). By the way, the brakes are working fine.

Thank you for your help
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Two thoughts

Don't know if they are good ones, but here goes.
    1. Are you an early enough addition to have undergone the brake reservoir cap swap?? Of course if you were supposed to do it and did not, it probably would have been problematic before now.
    2. On the 08 models, like my PE, I have to fill the reservoir so full to avoid a brake failure warning that the reservoir will leak. This leaking can only be prevented by being sure that both cap vents are centered pointing at the rear of the Spyder. This puts the vents at their high point. It stunk figuring that out. During the process brake fluid ate the paint off part of my frame. It is a little bit of a pain to get the vents in the proper position, but it solves the problem for me.
    I hope your solution is that simple.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

For me it was the rear brake sensor. Fluid was checked and OK. 2008 SE-5

Spyder Garage

The caps were swapped a long time ago. I always point the vents rearward. Yup, they still leak, I've always had paper towel wrapped around the caps to absorbe up the leaked fluid before it damages anything.

Question for ThreeWheels - when you topped off the fluid, did the "Brake Failure" code go away by itself, or did you still have to have BUDS reset the code?
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers

Spyder Garage

The caps were swapped a long time ago. I always point the vents rearward. Yup, they still leak, I've always had paper towel wrapped around the caps to absorbe up the leaked fluid before it damages anything.

Question for ThreeWheels - when you topped off the fluid, did the "Brake Failure" code go away by itself, or did you still have to have BUDS reset the code?
    It should go away by itself once the float level rises.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Then its not fluid level, they're very topped off and the error message did not clear.

MMcc- To clarify, do you mean the anti-lock sensors? (the ones that are close to, and point towards, the toothed gear)

Spyder Garage

Brake light went out on it's own.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Yes, I used the wrong term. It was the ABS sensor that was replaced. First time it happened they said it was out of adjustment ( improper gap). Thought that they corrected that but brake failure scroll came back in less than 50 miles. BRP said replace it this time.

Spyder Garage

I REALLY REALLY hope dealer wouldnt keep charging you for same code resets that would not be cool at all once MAYBE thats a big MAYBE twice after that its time to get down and find cause boys? Hope you get it resolved.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default BRAKE LIGHT

Mine did the same thing on a trip Yellowstone last year. I checked everything i could think of.I wiggled the E brake cable at wheel,pushing it back, light went out .Light has never come on again.I think the cable was stuck just enough to make light come on.

Spyder Garage

I had the same thing. Bled the brakes and it went away --- only to come back a few days before my trip to TN even though the brakes worked fine.

Stopped at a dealer in Dry Ridge near Cincinnati -- the hooked it to buds- cleared the code-- topped off the fluid--- tested brake pressure and sent me on my way.

No charge at all.

Not sure why your dealer is charging you for clearing the error.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I have the current caps as well. Many people(mainly sportbikes/track riders) wrap motorcycle reservoirs to reduce vibes and foaming. I wrap my lids to do that and absorb fluid trails. I still got some faint evidence, bubbled some paint. My brake symbol comes up occasionally when riding down from elevation expediently. A quick twist of the cap restores to normal. I don't like the location of the reservoir or the lack of security the hoses had, I think it sees to much lash. I changed the hardware a little and added some rubber washer, also secured the hose lines.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had the same situation with my GS. Turned out to be low brake pressure/air in the lines although the Master Cylinder was topped. Thats why my brakes worked better on the second pump.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

The only time I had this error message appear was when the 10 AMP fuse in the front fuse box was blown, and I got on the brakes hard. I am sure you would have already noticed this though as you wouldn't have any taillights working.

Best of luck getting it sorted out.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

My 2008 GS has never leaked fluid and I do have the caps with the "v" cut. Dealer shouldn't be charging just for clearing the code.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I kept having this issue with only a few hundred miles on my spyder, I topped it off then ended up over-filling light wouldn't go out. I ended up pulling the sensor out of the bottom and zip tied it up out of the way, 3k miles later no problems!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I had the same thing. Bled the brakes and it went away --- only to come back a few days before my trip to TN even though the brakes worked fine.

Stopped at a dealer in Dry Ridge near Cincinnati -- the hooked it to buds- cleared the code-- topped off the fluid--- tested brake pressure and sent me on my way.

No charge at all.

Not sure why your dealer is charging you for clearing the error.
    I was the guy at PVM Powersports in Florence ky. that worked on your bike. I am glad I was able to help you out. Hope you had a great trip. If your ever back in Kentucky stop by.

Spyder Garage

Default hey bryan

this is coz ,i have the silver 08 gs that was in a few weeks ago, the one with the stickers and skulls and duct taped lights. its very different now very clean and de-junked . it cleaned up very well. welcome to the sight and thanks for your help.
    it was fun while it lasted.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FlynBryan View Post
    I was the guy at PVM Powersports in Florence ky. that worked on your bike. I am glad I was able to help you out. Hope you had a great trip. If your ever back in Kentucky stop by.
    Great to see you here on the board reading and posting. More dealers and techs should be here IMHO. Very cool.

Spyder Garage

This is a follow-up to the original post that started this thread:

Dealer did full brake bleed process this time, including opening bleeder valves, not just computer steps. Technician said he got very, very few tiny, tiny bubbles. Brake Failure scrolling error is gone. Time will tell if its a permanent fix, as it took a couple hundred miles between the 1st and 2nd failure. And of course all through this, the brakes work fine. They had it four work-days, and I'm out another $60.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

For what it's worth, the tech suggested to me that i jack up the rear of the spyder and open up my filler caps, air rises and gets out of the system. I do this periodically now if i know my ride wont be moving for a few days or more.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

What about brake pedal excessive travel? It would then make the overtravel switch on the pedal.