arntufun

Default I Had No Clutch Today !

My wife and I were camping in Lake George this week with the Spyder and it was driving fine all week. This morning when we were packing up and I went to pull the Spyder on the trailer. With it running in neutral I pulled the clutch in and felt no back pressure (I did not think anything of it). With the clutch pulled in, I shifted it to first and it threw me forward and stalled. So I tried it again and it flung me forward again. So I said "what the " . I had to find someone to help me push the Spyder into the trailer and off to the dealer I went.

When I got to the dealer, they said there was no brake fluid in the clutch resevior. I have over 8000 miles and just had my 6000 mile service preformed in march. I have no signs of leaks under my Spyder in my garage so where did the fluid go ???

Let me also say that this fluid level should have been checked at my dealer at my 6000 mile service. And judging by no leaks that I can see under my Spyder it is safe to say my dealer did not check this during my service. I take it to the dealer trusting that they will do there job and preform the services that I am paying them to do. This very easily could have standed me out somewhere or worse, I could have injured someone if my Spyder jerked forward like it did and hit someone. dealers suck !!! With no visible leaks, there is no way it could use up the fluid in 2000 miles.

DO NOT TRUST YOUR DEALER TO CHECK YOUR FLUIDS !!!
    Last edited by arntufun; 06-17-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

to bad, but yes it could have been worse. Great riding with you last week Randy, it was a lot of fun. I also agree, they never checked the fluids.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Did they fix it, And if so where did the fluid go? Past the diaphragm.??

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    to bad, but yes it could have been worse. Great riding with you last week Randy, it was a lot of fun. I also agree, they never checked the fluids.

Great riding with you also. How is the Mrs Black fly bites ??? That Lake George RV park is awesome !!! The cleanest campground I have ever been to. Everyday up there they walked around with a leaf blower blowing leafs off the road. Now that my idea of clean camping !!!
    Last edited by arntufun; 06-17-2011 at 07:59 PM.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Did they fix it, And if so where did the fluid go? Past the diaphragm.??

They added fluid and they said check it over the next week and if the level drops, then they will only then take it apart and it might be time to rebuild the clutch plates. But they said with no visible leaks it might be a long time before I would need to add fluid again.

But it really me off that this fluid was not checked at service time.
    Last edited by arntufun; 06-17-2011 at 07:57 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You can easily check the fluid yourself:

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    You can easily check the fluid yourself:

I understand what you are trying to say. But if you paid somone to mow your lawn and then came home after a long days work and had to mow it yourself, wouldn't you be ???

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The system really does not have much fluid in them. It is quite feasable that the fluid level was fine at the service. We did have one that the assist piston was worn and it caused the fluid to leak out quite quickly. Because everything is closed up the customer saw no visibile leaks but did notice that the resvoir was not full. I am not sure of the exact capacity of the system but it think its maybe a pint, if that. My techs are saying that they may start replacing the fluid at 12K.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by garganos View Post
    The system really does not have much fluid in them. It is quite feasable that the fluid level was fine at the service. We did have one that the assist piston was worn and it caused the fluid to leak out quite quickly. Because everything is closed up the customer saw no visibile leaks but did notice that the resvoir was not full. I am not sure of the exact capacity of the system but it think its maybe a pint, if that. My techs are saying that they may start replacing the fluid at 12K.

With no leaks (I would see it on my garage floor), The fluid will no way leak out that fast. I would notice it for sure. I pulled the side panel off and it's dry.

Judging by your post you are a dealer. This is the same stuff I talk about with dealers making excuses to justify getting caught not performing the services paid for. And you also said they "might" start changing the fluid at 12K miles ??? How do they not know when to change it ??? Are Spyder techs really not that well trained ??? I'm sorry if I'm blasting you for being a dealer and you and your dealership had no involvment in this case. You are just trying to help and I thank you for that.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't know about the RS but the maintenance schedule for the RT requires changing both clutch and brake fluid at the 12,000 mile service.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Great riding with you also. How is the Mrs Black fly bites ??? That Lake George RV park is awesome !!! The cleanest campground I have ever been to. Everyday up there they walked around with a leaf blower blowing leafs off the road. Now that my idea of clean camping !!!
    Yep, best park I've every been to. So maybe you will plan a stay there next year during americade. My wife was ok by sunday and completly healed up the middle of this week. They were pretty nasty though. Next year bring your wife. The spyder family keeps growing at LGRV park.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    What?????

Did he say his Spyder leaks?????

oh, how ironic........

, right lou I'll be at chatterbox on thursday if the weather is ok.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I have never really looked into the functional components of this part of the Spyder. Not sure how separated the clutch handle mechanism is from the clutch itself, but it may have bled into the engine. Hydraulic pressure finds a way.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

arntufun

What?????

oh, how ironic........

Your right !!! If I wanted a leaky machine I would have bought a _______ . Can you guess what I would put in the blank space ???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What?????

oh, how ironic........

Why do I get the feeling that this just ain't over yet???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    I have never really looked into the functional components of this part of the Spyder. Not sure how separated the clutch handle mechanism is from the clutch itself, but it may have bled into the engine. Hydraulic pressure finds a way.
    Nope, separated systems.

Spyder Garage

When I was young and in my prime, I rode my Harley(1970) all the time.

Now I'm old and turning gray, my knees are swollen and hurt all day.

I ryde my spyder and it's fun cause I don't fall over on the way.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Nope, separated systems.
    I just looked at the IPC, I still say it may have bled into the engine. Obviously it would be a good idea to inspect the entire length of the line, no telling if the line just went bad or it's been loosing a drop or two over it's 8000 miles of life.
    Had an external piston assembly pushed a pin into the engine I would say yes, but the hydraulic line bolts to the engine via banjo bolt. Looks like the piston function happens inside the clutch case.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybob View Post
    When I was young and in my prime, I rode my Harley(1970) all the time.

Now I'm old and turning gray, my knees are swollen and hurt all day.

I ryde my spyder and it's fun cause I don't fall over on the way.

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black