Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default SE5 shifting question.

When you go from 1st to 2nd at about 5000 rpm does it rev up for like 2 seconds and then settle in anf accelerate or does it just snap directly into 2nd?

Mine is revving ans sometimes longer than 2 second. it is not tier slip so I do not know if it in normal. I rode an rt for 1 week and it just snapped into 2nd. and thoughts? thank you all in advance.
    I had to sell my spyderstill love the Spyderlovers

Duane

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fleegeds View Post
    When you go from 1st to 2nd at about 5000 rpm does it rev up for like 2 seconds and then settle in anf accelerate or does it just snap directly into 2nd?

Mine is revving ans sometimes longer than 2 second. it is not tier slip so I do not know if it in normal. I rode an rt for 1 week and it just snapped into 2nd. and thoughts? thank you all in advance.
    My RS SE5 (~800 miles) is quirky in the same way. It really appears to be a function of RPM: you need to shift higher. Shift from 1st to 2nd below 4500 or so RPM, and you run the risk of being too low for 2nd gear. What then happens is either it lags for a second or two until your RPMs are high enough in 2nd gear, or worse, it automatically kicks back from 2nd down to 1st, usually with a quite rude lurch.

The advice remains the same: shift at higher RPM. IME it won't *always* avoid the lag and lurch, but the Rotax is a high-revving engine, you won't break it by shifting at 6K, 7K or 8K RPM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

thank you for the reply. This is not happening at lower RPM's but over 5K mostly. I had it in the shop for 3 weeks with no fix. just a bit over the whole thing.

In fact the hard I go on it the longer the rev. also I forgot to mention if I do a down shift from like 2nd to 1st where I am trying to pass some one quick it will rev for like 3-5 sec with no catch until I let off and then it catches and goes.

Duane

Spyder Garage

thank you for the reply. This is not happening at lower RPM's but over 5K mostly. I had it in the shop for 3 weeks with no fix. just a bit over the whole thing.

In fact the hard I go on it the longer the rev. also I forgot to mention if I do a down shift from like 2nd to 1st where I am trying to pass some one quick it will rev for like 3-5 sec with no catch until I let off and then it catches and goes.
    Sounds like you may have a problem. My SE5 shifts quickly at any RPM above 3000.
    To God Be The Glory!

Spyder Garage

Ahhh, sorry. I saw 5K rpm and thought you were rounding *up*. If you're rounding *down*, then yeah, sounds like you have a problem to ask the dealer about. Good luck!
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Default Shifting smooth at all RPM unless I hold shifter down too long

My SE5 shifts smoothly at all RPMs unless I inadvertently keep the shifter tab down too long.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

rats here i go back to the dealer

Duane

Spyder Garage

Default RT same

My RT does the same...dealer says not consistent so basically I live with it until it happens majority of time...Makes no difference what RPM for me...but like said not all the time...So I just keep on ryding it like I stole it!!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mine shifts smoothly at any rpm over 3000 whether up or down. It just purrrrrs like the tiger it is.

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards

Spyder Garage

All Se5 transmissions should be shifted above 3500rpms other wise you will not be in gear fully. down shifting does not matter

Roger

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

well i watched carefully all the way home and noticed that it did not happen any time I was above 5K and less than 25% throttle but as soon as I roll on throttle a bit, like 50-75% it revs up for like 1-2 seconds before it catches. I went to the dealer and did not shut it off and let them drive it and sure enough he was able to record it on his phone and it happened every time that he shifted over 5k rpm and 50% throttle. He kept it and now I am waiting again... they let me borrow one of the demos so that was nice to have a ride. oh and by the way it was an SE5 and never did the revving thing. oh well, thank you for letting me vent a bit. I have involved Carlo (sp?) from BRP and he has really tried to help out. very cool.

oh and by the way the stock RT I am riding is very slow (compared to my RS-S) and not nearly as nimble . I do like the radio though .

Duane

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    Mine shifts smoothly at any rpm over 3000 whether up or down. It just purrrrrs like the tiger it is.

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards
    Ditto on my RT-S SE5.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Talking Shifting

If I waited to 5K to shift my 2009 RS SE5 I'd have a frunk full of speeding tickets.
    2009 GS SE5 Silver

Spyder Garage

It sounds to me like your clutch isn't reengaging properly. Mine is virtually instant shifting up and down at any rpm's. I suppose that could be mechanical or electrical. An interesting challenge for a dealer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'll keep you all posted. thank you all for the responses.

Duane

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

i think we may have gotten this fixed. After the shop replaced 7 or 8 parts it looks like the problem was that one of the small "tubes" in the transmission had some gunk in it and after they cleaned it out the delay in shifting went away (I hope). I guess the Idea is that the oil was not getting to high enough pressure to allow the clutch to engage entirely and that was what the high revving was. at least I have it back.

On my way in to the office today I noticed between 1st and second when the throttle is about 25% open the time to shift from 1 to 2 is about .5 seconds at most any RPM. I think this is normal though because the other Spyder there is doing the same thing. once I open the throttle all the way it shifts much quicker.

Thank you all for you comments and help. I hope this helps any one else out there having the same problem.

Duane

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad to hear that it was fixable! I was goning to chime in a say that meybe something wasn't allowing the transmission to "unmesh" the gears so that they could be shifted... something sticking...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm glad to hear that it was fixable! I was goning to chime in a say that meybe something wasn't allowing the transmission to "unmesh" the gears so that they could be shifted... something sticking...
    the revving was more of a clutch slipping after the shift. I could hear the transmission shift and then the revving.

Thank you for the Idea. After 7 weeks in the shop total for this I would have tried anything to get it going again. I am so glad to have it back.

Duane

Spyder Garage

i think we may have gotten this fixed. After the shop replaced 7 or 8 parts it looks like the problem was that one of the small "tubes" in the transmission had some gunk in it and after they cleaned it out the delay in shifting went away (I hope). I guess the Idea is that the oil was not getting to high enough pressure to allow the clutch to engage entirely and that was what the high revving was. at least I have it back.

On my way in to the office today I noticed between 1st and second when the throttle is about 25% open the time to shift from 1 to 2 is about .5 seconds at most any RPM. I think this is normal though because the other Spyder there is doing the same thing. once I open the throttle all the way it shifts much quicker.

Thank you all for you comments and help. I hope this helps any one else out there having the same problem.
    I have the same problem and can you give me your dealers name and maybe the techs. name If you know it. Thanks.

Mike