Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RTS; need advice on Zumo 660

Short version:
    bought the BRP Zumo 660. Wiring, etc. worked done by spouse. His advice: worth the effort, instructions could have been written better.

My job...the techie part, did not go well. I could not load or access Maps on the unit. 3 days, totalling over 8 hours on the phone to Garmin.
    You may be asking... why not take it back to dealership? Spouse was not removing wiring harness, etc. Dealership said that was the only way to exchange and they did not have an exchange available.

Garmin's support and tech staff was great, overnighted another Zumo 660, charged my credit card for replacement but will credit when they get the defective Zumo. BUT they really did not understand that I had a BRP CAN AM screen on the bad unit or how to replace that Zumo with a BRP one. Time was an issue, we left the day after the Zumo was delivered, 6/4 for a 2000 mile trip, first 12 hrs on the bike...a very bad rainstorm....very glad to have Zumo.
    New unit worked perfectly, but have not registered it yet. Had some other bike issues and back at work. Spouse states that we paid for BRP CAN AM Zumo unit, essentially the same except for the logo on the screen.
    Question: has anyone gone through Zumo replacement?
    How did you handle it?...through the dealership or Garmin?
    How do I get a "BRP logo-Zumo" replacement?
    Should I give up and register the new unit as mine?
    Thanks guys! I will type up another posting about the bike issues. I am going to have to write it out before taking it in for service...just too weird.
    Carol Smead
    2010 RTS Blue, gone but not forgotten
    Former owner of 2008 PE #1032 Yellow

Spyder Garage

I have a 550, so I'm not sure if this is helpful.
    By BRP logo, do you mean the splash screen when the GPS starts, or are there physical BRP badges?
    Either way, the custom part of the BRP kit is the conector to the audio system, and the handlebar mount.
    The GPS itself is the same as a Garmin stock unit.
    You can easily copy the splash screen from your old device onto the new one.
    Many of us customize our splash screens anyway to include pictures of family or custom text.
    The best one I heard of is "This Zumo was stolen from......................"
    That made it pretty clear where the GPS belongs.
    In short, if Garmin will honor the warranty directly and replace the unit without having to rip out the wiring, I'd suggest you go with that option.

Of course, my advice posted electronically isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I had my Garmin replaced for a different reason and Garmin was great. I did the same thing having them send unit
    next day air and charge CC till I sent it back. Worked fine I re-registered the replacement unit and also
    downloaded the nationwide dealer list that I got from Lamont at spyderlovers.com.http://www.spyderlovers.com/spyderdealersgarmin.gpi

I also changed my driving icon to show a spyder as well. Not sure about the logo, maybe that happens when you hook
    it up to your computer
    when you register it.

You know what come to think of it I don't think I get a BRP logo, and I am ok with that.

on a side note: I found it helpful to always keep my low fuel red icon on the garmin display so that way whenever
    I want to find the distance and direction to the next gas station it tells me. Less buttons to push when I am riding,
    but it will prompt you each time at start up that you are low on fuel.

Hope it all works for you and you have all the software updates loaded.

Spyder Garage

Default Zumo issues...

I did not know that you could change the logo. When we turn the Garmin on, the logo Garmin comes up. It used to say BRP CAN AM.
    We don't know if it will make a difference in the warranty, of the wiring...since the dealership indicated that Garmin would have to help us with the Zumo.
    My work hours and Garmin's support hours conflict at this time. I hate to have to take a morning off of work to get everything squared away. The Garmin Support staff said that I would have to call them when I plugged the unit into the computer for the 1st time. They would have to lead me through an "exchange" process.
    Carol Smead

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I have a 550, so I'm not sure if this is helpful.
    By BRP logo, do you mean the splash screen when the GPS starts, or are there physical BRP badges?
    Either way, the custom part of the BRP kit is the conector to the audio system, and the handlebar mount.
    The GPS itself is the same as a Garmin stock unit.
    You can easily copy the splash screen from your old device onto the new one.
    Many of us customize our splash screens anyway to include pictures of family or custom text.
    The best one I heard of is "This Zumo was stolen from......................"
    That made it pretty clear where the GPS belongs.
    In short, if Garmin will honor the warranty directly and replace the unit without having to rip out the wiring, I'd suggest you go with that option.

Of course, my advice posted electronically isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
    I just changed my splash screen on my NUVI 660. Took all of 3 minutes. Just hook up to PC thru your USB cable and copy any image you want into the JPEG file on the Garmin.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    .....I also changed my driving icon to show a spyder as well......
    Where did you get the Spyder vehicle icon?

Quote Originally Posted by csmead View Post
    Short version:
    bought the BRP Zumo 660. Wiring, etc. worked done by spouse. His advice: worth the effort, instructions could have been written better.

My job...the techie part, did not go well. I could not load or access Maps on the unit. 3 days, totalling over 8 hours on the phone to Garmin.
    You may be asking... why not take it back to dealership? Spouse was not removing wiring harness, etc. Dealership said that was the only way to exchange and they did not have an exchange available.

Garmin's support and tech staff was great, overnighted another Zumo 660, charged my credit card for replacement but will credit when they get the defective Zumo. BUT they really did not understand that I had a BRP CAN AM screen on the bad unit or how to replace that Zumo with a BRP one. Time was an issue, we left the day after the Zumo was delivered, 6/4 for a 2000 mile trip, first 12 hrs on the bike...a very bad rainstorm....very glad to have Zumo.
    New unit worked perfectly, but have not registered it yet. Had some other bike issues and back at work. Spouse states that we paid for BRP CAN AM Zumo unit, essentially the same except for the logo on the screen.
    Question: has anyone gone through Zumo replacement?
    How did you handle it?...through the dealership or Garmin?
    How do I get a "BRP logo-Zumo" replacement?
    Should I give up and register the new unit as mine?
    Thanks guys! I will type up another posting about the bike issues. I am going to have to write it out before taking it in for service...just too weird.
    Carol, if you can access the original unit's hard drive via you computer, you should be able to copy the splash screen jpeg and copy it to your new one. You can also make a custom splash screen if you wish. I suggest your dogs. I don't know if there is anything else special about the BRP unit...it is mostly about the mount and the wiring.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 06-14-2011 at 08:47 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Todd&Cat

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post

Carol, if you can access the original unit's hard drive via you computer, you should be able to copy he splash screen jpeg and copy it to your new one. You can also make a custom splash screen if you wish. I suggest your dogs. I don't know if there is anything else special about the BRP unit...it is mostly about the mount and the wiring.
    The Spyder icon is selectable from the 660 that BRP uses on their units

Spyder Garage

I have a BRP 660 and I dont have a Spyder icon.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Todd&Cat

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    I have a BRP 660 and I dont have a Spyder icon.
    go to tools, then choose settings, then choose vehicle selection, then you will find the Spyder icon it should be there unless this is new to 2011s
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-10-2020 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

It's not there. Just Harley, a scooter and two rocket bikes.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Todd&Cat

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    It's not there. Just Harley, a scooter and two rocket bikes.
    steve, it must be the latter versions, mine came with the 2011 LTD

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your reply, I will email Garmin and see what they say.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 06-14-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

Not sure if this is frowned on or not, but I found the icon on another spyder forum :http://spyderryders.com/index.php?/t...-list-rt-icon/

Think it has the splash screen as well.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, but it won't let me download even after I registered. I will have wait and see. Thanks again

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I tried to download as well and wouldn't let me as i wasn't a registered member. Any way to get the icons copied?
    Life should NOT be journey to grave with intention of arriving safely in attractive and well-preserved body, but rather you skid in sideways on 1 leg with body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Not sure if this is frowned on or not, but I found the icon on another spyder forum :http://spyderryders.com/index.php?/t...-list-rt-icon/

Think it has the splash screen as well.
    Mike, Thanks for this one. Knew it should be available somewhere, just hadn't found it. See y'all in MV.

Spyder Garage

No prob. Now if the other site would allow me to download it!!! I got my 660 in last night. Taking the bike over to conyers this afternoon to drop off for the 600 miles service tomorrow. Got a feeling I'm gonna get wet!! I may just have them install the mount since they will have it apart anyway. Hopefully they will not charge me the standard amount since most of the plastic is off. I am having them check the bolt for the vibration as well. See ya Friday!!
    Last edited by Hawk; 06-15-2011 at 07:41 AM.

Spyder Garage

Just joined the site about a hour ago and now I downloded the files with out a problem. Logo and dealers list.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

, same here. Got the files and now have Y Spyder Dealers on my 'Where To' screen. Also have the RT for my vehicle. Don't have a BRP logo on splash screen but that is okay by me.

Really think that BRP should have that info on their Can-Am Spyder Owner Center.

Spyder Garage

yep, where others have said is where I got mine, however I think the icon should show the spyder pulling a trailer when I am!

Spyder Garage

Any way you could repost the files here? I still do not have access. Or can someone that has the BRP version copy those files off of theirs and post them?
    Last edited by Hawk; 06-15-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default oops...

Carol, if you can access the original unit's hard drive via you computer, you should be able to copy the splash screen jpeg and copy it to your new one. You can also make a custom splash screen if you wish. I suggest your dogs. I don't know if there is anything else special about the BRP unit...it is mostly about the mount and the wiring.
    Scotty, no longer have the original unit. It had so many problems that Garmin could not be sure that it was not corrupting the main file downloaded in the computer. They advised that I NOT plug in the USB until after we returned from vacation...use the replacement Garmin as it came from the factory. We agreed, could not take a chance. That poor unit went through 12 hrs of rain, wind and otherwise crappy road conditions. I am winding down, and will (per Garmin's tech instructions) call them soon.
    Carol Smead

Todd&Cat

I'm looking to see if I can Try this, it goes in the vehicle folder

/Volumes/GARMIN/Garmin/Vehicle/Spyder_RT.srf
    Last edited by Todd&Cat; 06-15-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Do you have the BRP splash screen on your unit?

Todd&Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Do you have the BRP splash screen on your unit?
    what do you mean by the splash screen