Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Newbie: Is it me or the bike

Greetings All! I am excited to be a new spyder owner. I purchased a 2008 spyder with 5K miles on it. The bike seems to be in great condition. It had a lot of modifications already on it when I bought it including a two brothers exaust. What I have been noticing is that when I shift up or down to 2nd, the bike sometimes misfires. It usually occurs if I do this gear shift too slow or maybe I don't give it enough gas. This is my first motorcycle period, and I have only been riding for a month. I love my spyder, but I want to know are the mis fires anything to be concerned about, or is this a normal thing with bikes. Thanks in advance!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't help you with the misfires but I'm sure someone will chime in soon. Just wanted to say you've come to the right place for help.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

- Can't really help you but someone will shortly. They'll probably ask you if you have a juicebox or an o2modifier.

My is stock so I'm not much help other than to say and ck to see if you have the item I mentioned.

Spyder Garage

I think if you have a 2 Brothers exhaust you need a juice box, you may need to check if you have one
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the 02 mod should fix that,and the 02 is 3 times less money and dose the same thing if you hav the muffler and kn filter .other wise maby the y gaskets are wearing out.

Spyder Garage

on the

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Accension13 View Post
    Greetings All! I am excited to be a new spyder owner. I purchased a 2008 spyder with 5K miles on it. The bike seems to be in great condition. It had a lot of modifications already on it when I bought it including a two brothers exaust. What I have been noticing is that when I shift up or down to 2nd, the bike sometimes misfires. It usually occurs if I do this gear shift too slow or maybe I don't give it enough gas. This is my first motorcycle period, and I have only been riding for a month. I love my spyder, but I want to know are the mis fires anything to be concerned about, or is this a normal thing with bikes. Thanks in advance!
    Welcome! I can tell you that mine ran perfect with the 2 bro's exhaust only. Once I installed a high flow filter (green/K&N etc.) it developed a pretty bad stumble misfire in the low end. Tried the Standard Juice Box. Never was able to get it right.

I would check to see if the air filter in the bike is a factory (white) paper filter or if it looks like a Green (high Flow) or K&N. If it's a Green or something, do yourself a favor and head to the dealership and buy a factory replacement filter and install it. Bolt it back together and I bet it runs like a champ. This is assuming you do NOT have a Juice Box installed.
    *Everything changes on the Spyder the minute you mess with the intake and filter.

Spyder Garage

and

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't be too concerned about a little backfiring. Some have been able to get rid of it with other mods and others just deal with it. If it's really bad I would look for a exhaust leak.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was shifting mine too soon when I first purchased mine.It cause it to act like it was misfiring.On diesels,it would be what they call a speed droop. Might try letting rpm's get a little higher before you shift.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wow! I am amazed at all the helpful feedback. I have been searching the web for a little over a week for any info related to the issue I have been having, and I really was not able to find anything useful or relevant. A few hours after posting to this forum, I definitely have been given very helpful information and I have some things I can look into immediately. Thanks for all the suggestions and for making me as a newbie feel welcome. I can see myself spending a lot of time on spyderlovers.com

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Accension13 View Post
    I don't have the knowledge on the misfiring but wanted to say on your your gonna love it!

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

and. on your new
    Your search for Spyder information is over. You've found the World Book of Spyder anything.
    Enjoy the rydes of your life!
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series