Spyder Garage

Default spyder on the track video and suspension question

I got video of 4 laps at BIR in brainerd MN, the CRA races were going on and I met a dude that races them, he said you can do a parade lap during this and sure as **** for 20 bucks you get 4 laps.

It was awesome, well slow to start and then I got to the back , let some space go then started at speed. A guy went in the toolies and when I waved him ahead I got some good track practice.

The video is loading now.

The suspension question was I put on a new penske rear shock that was for someone that is 200 pounds, I am 170 with a a wheelchair it would be close, well the shock was so stiff I was riding the edge of the rear tire and I can not put enough body english on the bike because of being handicrapped so it was slowing me down in transition corners ( I ran the road from the 4 wheeler video) and was throwing me off the bike but in long full out sweepers (115ish) it was cash money. So after talking to the racers down there I reduced the spring by 2 rotations then 2 more after the laps on the track.

I was getting better speed out of the corners with it but not getting the feedback and some corner skip, so I got home and did one more.

Was wondering what other people that drive them hard think of this or if they have any personal input from their experience of switching to a aftermarket rear shock on why this is or what I should do more, right now I am getting AT least double the posted as a reference.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWv7f5NDuww"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWv7f5NDuww[/ame]

just got it up, the quality will improve to 1080 in few hours.

was very strange not worry about traffic, cops, deer and using the WHOLE road was quite the adjustment, less nanny more speed.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hi Seth

THANKS, and your still my hero. This is a parrot hat guy from SPYDEFEST 2,

Spyder Garage

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Lighten up that rear bud, IMO on the Spyder you want the rear as soft as possible without bottoming out, this allows for rapid weight transfer if rebound is adjustable set that as soft as you can to. Basically set up rear opposite of front. It is way easier to tell if your too soft and losing speed in turns than too stiff. I think more transfer set in susp. for you would be a big help. Your too light and you can't move what weight you have enough. So let the rear susp. do it.

Jim
    Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very cool Seth. You were definitely flying on that last lap.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Great Video Seth...Thanks for the trip back down memory lane to BIR. We used to go and watch the ASA road races...haven't been there in years though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jedd View Post
    Lighten up that rear bud, IMO on the Spyder you want the rear as soft as possible without bottoming out, this allows for rapid weight transfer if rebound is adjustable set that as soft as you can to. Basically set up rear opposite of front. It is way easier to tell if your too soft and losing speed in turns than too stiff. I think more transfer set in susp. for you would be a big help. Your too light and you can't move what weight you have enough. So let the rear susp. do it.

Jim
    I think you are correct sir, I will say that the penske rear is 1000% better than stock but just needs to be dialed in,

Thanks to everyone else, wish I could have got a person to run away from me to show the difference of what a real bike can do, or the best thing would be to race another spyder.

crash tester for:

Spyder Garage

Great video, Seth! I did a few "Try the Track" days on my first Spyder, and had a blast. It was a great way to learn to avoid the nanny - the better I got at the line, the less the nanny kicked in. I found that I always caught up with the bikes in the turns, which it looks like you did, too. Spyders are more like cars in that respect, I think - more stability = faster cornering.
    I would love to do that again, I'm jealous!

I LOVE my

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Spyder Garage

Seth i think jedd got it right! JMO that track owner should check his policy on letting people ride double on the track one wrong shift and they are both going for a ride they don't want to take. again jmo.

Roger

Spyder Garage

Looks like a blast@!!!!!!!
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

thanks guys, I would recommend if you can go and do something like this I would for sure.

as for the double riding I am not sure what they call is on that, they were worried about a 11 yr old racing on the parade lap who races at other tracks and has his own leathers. We all had to sign a waiver which us in the business of waivers know doesn't mean ****.

crash tester for:

Spyder Garage

My laptop is part of the fossil record, wish I could enjoy that video. Videos on this thing is like a story book and record most times. Nascar teams have thousands of shocks, each one one tick different than the next for quick change, not to mention the variety of tires and tire pressures. Then there's always the surface quality. Once YOU get it trimmed to YOUR liking, someone will come along, test drive your set up and wonder what you were thinking. Have fun with YOUR machine!
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black