Spyder Garage

Default Passenger right leg HOT HOT HOT

We just bought a 2010 RT and my leg practically starts on fire when we are out riding and I have on shorts. Yes, please don't lecture me on why I should not be wearing shorts! Is there some sort of deflector or something we can install--please help as it makes me miserable on long rides! BTW-- LOVE, LOVE this bike!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

& I hope you figure the heat thing out. I have the RS and did all the Spyder pops upgrades and that has helped a ton.
    I had to sell my spyderstill love the Spyderlovers

Duane

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Iowaspyderlove View Post
    We just bought a 2010 RT and my leg practically starts on fire when we are out riding and I have on shorts. Yes, please don't lecture me on why I should not be wearing shorts! Is there some sort of deflector or something we can install--please help as it makes me miserable on long rides! BTW-- LOVE, LOVE this bike!!!!
    & ...Search the site... pleanty of options from vendors like ISCI's fancan to Spyderpop's deflector. If you are handy with tools, Lamont has a step by step cover system here and Inspector Gadget's plans here Good luck!!!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Spyderpop's heat shield works like a charm! In 100 degree heat here in AZ and my foot doesn't burn off like it use to. Have to get the heat shields for the bottom of the RT-S that Spyderpops has. The heat underneath sneaks out and is too hot for the passenger. After that, she can wear flip flops like I do now!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The heat you feel is the gods telling you to wear proper riding gear!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just bought Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate. It looks like it will take the heat off of my right let.

Question. I am not a wrench and the instructions say to "remove the lower belly pan below and behind the radiator to achieve proper cooling".

Is removing the belly pan a big deal? It seems like something I could do myself and would like to try. However, I am not sure what is involved and don't want to damage my beautiful scoot. Thanks for any help.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Iowaspyderlove,

The blocking plate that spyderpop's sell's will take care of it for you. Also welcome ryder. Good to see someonelse from central Iowa. If you want We could meet somewhere and you could take a look at my spyder with the blocking plate installed.
    Last edited by Mowerman; 06-10-2011 at 08:32 AM.
    Proud Owner of a 2017 f3t

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    I just bought Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate. It looks like it will take the heat off of my right let.

Question. I am not a wrench and the instructions say to "remove the lower belly pan below and behind the radiator to achieve proper cooling".

Is removing the belly pan a big deal? It seems like something I could do myself and would like to try. However, I am not sure what is involved and don't want to damage my beautiful scoot. Thanks for any help.

Big Red,
    It is pretty easy to take the belly pan off. If I remember right there are two or thee bolts to remove and the take them off. Lamont had a good right up on the oil change on the RT. It explains it all in his post. Search for RT oil change .
    Proud Owner of a 2017 f3t

Spyder Garage

I tend to dress for the ride but my wife often runs with shorts on her RT.

Here are photos of two things we did to minimize right side heat.

1. We removed the clear deflectors under the mirrors and added air intakes from Prestige Auto Works in Canada. "Prestige Auto Works Inc." <prestige.paw@videotron.ca> These are color matched to the bike and act as ram air devices to force incoming air down into the vents under the mirrors to ram it out the vents. These are not cheap and they do not work at slow speeds or when stopped but they are effective at highway speeds.

2. We bought the rubber coated nylon deflector from Avon products that goes on the right side to deflect the hot air out away from the bike into the slipstream. This works well too and is a much cheaper way to go.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I installed spyderpops version of lamont's leg cooler...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I recommend the Baker Air Wings for the RT. I don't however have experience in driving in shorts in the extreme heat, but I can attest to a significant increase in air flow to the legs with the use of these wings.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    I recommend the Baker Air Wings for the RT. I don't however have experience in driving in shorts in the extreme heat, but I can attest to a significant increase in air flow to the legs with the use of these wings.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Proper riding gear would help deal with the heat coming from the spyder. My wife rides with a mesh jacket , pants and boots and never complains about the 's heat .

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Strange, I have never noticed excessive heat on my RT. I thought it was worse on my Phantom.
    Maybe I am wearing more than others when I ryde

Spyder Garage

I bought the Cat Convertor Heat Sheild Kit from SpyderPops and my wife says she doesn't feel the heat anymore on her feet.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Iowaspyderlove on your new ryde

Stop over next week-end, 17th-18th, for our Awesome Biker Nights

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Thank you for all the welcomes! We have really enjoyed riding our new Spyder. We are looking into all the suggestions you gave us and hopefully will solve the problem! We are looking forward to meeting up with some of you at events. Until then be safe! Thanks again!