Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Front Spark Plug Removal on RT???

Does anyone have any tips on getting to and removing the front spark plug on a RT short of removing the entire airbox? Back plug was easy. Looks like the air box is pretty difficult to remove itself (wire ties, 6 screws, hoses, and removal of frame brace). Surely there must be an easier way.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1551retired View Post
    Does anyone have any tips on getting to and removing the front spark plug on a RT short of removing the entire airbox? Back plug was easy. Looks like the air box is pretty difficult to remove itself (wire ties, 6 screws, hoses, and removal of frame brace). Surely there must be an easier way.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    I have an 08 GS, So i don't know about an frame brace removal?
    But every thing else it the same , I've changed my plugs twice, So no there is no easy way. Also be very careful how you pull the plug wires, They brake very easily.

Spyder Garage

I did it a lot. It is a royal pain! Best method for me was to pop off the top of the airbox. (That alone takes small hands to get to all the clips.) Stuff a shop towel in the throttle body openings, then remove the lower airbox screws. If you tilt the top one way and the bottom the other, you can reach the front plug (again with skinny hands) to remove the plug wire. The plug can be removed/installed with a spark plug socket, six-inch extension, universal, ten inch extension, and a 3/8" ratchet. Oh yea, don't forget the proper cuss words!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    I have an 08 GS, So i don't know about an frame brace removal?
    But every thing else it the same , I've changed my plugs twice, So no there is no easy way. Also be very careful how you pull the plug wires, They brake very easily.
    On the right side there's a frame brace that blocks the complete removal of the airbox on the RT (visual and in the service manual). I'm at 6k miles and did a spark plug check on the rear and was trying to check the front. Guess I'll wait for 12k spark plug replacement before going through all the trouble of removing the air box. Can't believe they made the front plug so difficult to get to! BRP are you listening? I'm betting the dealer tech didn't check the plugs at 600 miles if it's this difficult.

Spyder Garage

If you just crack the airbox halves, you can sneak down between them using a monkey-motion rig of extensions and a universal, as described above...without removing the frame brace.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1551retired View Post
    On the right side there's a frame brace that blocks the complete removal of the airbox on the RT (visual and in the service manual). I'm at 6k miles and did a spark plug check on the rear and was trying to check the front. Guess I'll wait for 12k spark plug replacement before going through all the trouble of removing the air box. Can't believe they made the front plug so difficult to get to! BRP are you listening? I'm betting the dealer tech didn't check the plugs at 600 miles if it's this difficult.

You can bet your Sweet Bippy they don't..

Freebob...

Spyder Garage

Default front plug

I watched the tech do the 600 today to my RT. They want NO PART of checking those plugs, and i mentioned it.

After i watched them disassemble my spyder just to do an oil change, I really didnt want to watch the rest of it being torn apart. I felt like i was violated as it was

You guys that can turn a wrench are lucky, becuase i really wonder if they ever change that front plug
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Default Plugs

I will leave my plugs alone till the 12,000 mile service then let the tech put new ones in and probably Iridiums so that they can stay in longer. That service is big in terms of labour so being that far into it putting plugs in should be easy for the tech guy. In for a penny, in for a pound so to speak.

Spyder Garage

just changed the plugs on my rts took top off air box and moved bottom to one side used a 3inch and 6inch extention and flex ratchet to remove front plug no problem but my problem was getting the boot off the spark plug ended up dammaging the wire.Ask me what a new wire is worth

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    just changed the plugs on my rts took top off air box and moved bottom to one side used a 3inch and 6inch extention and flex ratchet to remove front plug no problem but my problem was getting the boot off the spark plug ended up dammaging the wire.Ask me what a new wire is worth
    B-T-D-T
    The price i could live with' It was the two week Wait for a replacement wire that hurt.

Spyder Garage

B-T-D-T
    The price i could live with' It was the two week Wait for a replacement wire that hurt.
    I was really lucky the wire for rear cylinder is back ordered until july 15 but the front wire was overnighted here, havent installed it yet have to pick it up. its not easy to instal price 53.00 plus change, 12% sales tax to be added on

Spyder Garage

Be sure to use a light coating of dielectric (tune-up) grease inside the plug boot, to make removal the next time easier.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I'm getting an alignment done which means taking the frunk off. While they're at it I'm having the plugs changed to iridium, so I won't ever have to worry about plugs again.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Iridiums

So based on what others have had to say, are Iridium plugs really the answer? Plug threads are just about as much fun as oil threads. My experience with the Wing was the plugs themselves really didn't make that much difference performance wise. I never put more that 35K on any set before the bike was gone anyway. Now, back to the Spyder; is there any one out there that has had long term experience with Iridiums? With only about 6700 miles on our machine, sounds like anything that can simplify maintenance would be great.

Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

In general, iridium plugs increase plug longevity, rather than improve performance. Of course there is some comparitive performance enhancement as time goes on, when the iridiums do not wear out as fast, while the gap opens on the conventional plugs. Costs very little to put them in, so why not try them and see? JMHO
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pandy View Post
    So based on what others have had to say, are Iridium plugs really the answer? Plug threads are just about as much fun as oil threads. My experience with the Wing was the plugs themselves really didn't make that much difference performance wise. I never put more that 35K on any set before the bike was gone anyway. Now, back to the Spyder; is there any one out there that has had long term experience with Iridiums? With only about 6700 miles on our machine, sounds like anything that can simplify maintenance would be great.

Patrick
    I know I'm bucking most opinions, But i tried the iridium's for 15 hundred miles [ stock 08 Sm5] and took them out, I found i got a little lost of power, [hesitation] on W O T from a start.

Spyder Garage

I know I'm bucking most opinions, But i tried the iridium's for 15 hundred miles [ stock 08 Sm5] and took them out, I found i got a little lost of power, [hesitation] on W O T from a start.

Well my results with NGK Iridiums was just the opposite in my 08 GS sm5...

Freebob...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    IMHO

If one was extremely lucky Iridium plugs might be an answer but in my experience there are many factors that affect the health of the plugs.

Iridium isn't really a guarantee that the plugs won't require changing.

Fouled plugs happen as result of fuel/mixture screw ups be they Iridium, Gold Palladium or Garden Variety.

Even though it is a Royal Pain, a look at the plugs is still the best indicator I know of as to the general health of an engine.

End of IMHO....
    This is very true! Premium plugs just don't erode as fast. They are just as subject to fouling as standard plugs. The do not fire any hotter. Spyder sparkplugs should still be checked at every service interval, IMO. As Roger said, that is the best indicator of how the engine is doing.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

RS plugs are easy, but I'll be doing my first RT plugs this Sunday. Bought a set of wobble extensions of various lengths, and I have small hands, so I might get lucky.
    Does anyone have photos of the wrench setup they used to get to the front plug? As more RTs are sold and reach 12k miles, this will become a more common question.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Still looking for advise here, either a photo of the wrench & extension setup OR...I can easily remove the enture front trunk, would that give me easy access to the front spark plug? Anyone done it this way?
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Be sure to use a light coating of dielectric (tune-up) grease inside the plug boot, to make removal the next time easier.
    did this

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post
    RS plugs are easy, but I'll be doing my first RT plugs this Sunday. Bought a set of wobble extensions of various lengths, and I have small hands, so I might get lucky.
    Does anyone have photos of the wrench setup they used to get to the front plug? As more RTs are sold and reach 12k miles, this will become a more common question.
    I used a 6 inch and 3 inch extention and a 3/8 flex ratchet and loosend the plug and tightened it from the right side no problem at all.removed and installed the plug from left side the hard part was getting spark plug boot off.if I had to do it again i would have removed boot from plugs at a low mileage and put on dielectric grease in boots for easy removeal

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post
    Still looking for advise here, either a photo of the wrench & extension setup OR...I can easily remove the enture front trunk, would that give me easy access to the front spark plug? Anyone done it this way?
    Sorry, no pics of the setup. Hard to take pictures when you're cussin'! Removing the trunk won't help, as far as I can figure.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remove and install from the lh side of the bike, you won't have to remove the airbox cover or trunk.