PhotoShop Master
    Spyder Garage

Default Squeaky belt????

Anyone ???? Really bad squeak ... Belt looks good but I think too many new England winters maybe dried it out ... Any input ? Been using a spray silicone ... But that is only temporary fix

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tatt2r View Post
    Anyone ???? Really bad squeak ... Belt looks good but I think too many new England winters maybe dried it out ... Any input ? Been using a spray silicone ... But that is only temporary fix
    Hey Jamey.

Could be dirt and gunk in the sprockets. I heard this on my belt before in the winter - turns out a good cleaning did the job, no more squeak. Even with my weekly wash-down and salt protection through the winter months, I can't clean the belt and sprocket while riding, so my drive system (belt and both sprockets) take more wear then normal.

However, since you, like myself, ride through the winter on salty roads (likely more salty/sandy around here then there), I recommend taking a look at the teeth on your sprockets and belt. Look for pits or corrosion or bubbling on the paint (especially on the rear sprocket), as it may be wearing from winter road conditions or dirt and wearing away the belt teeth - basically the squeak could be the belt lugs turning and squeaking off the teeth as the system rotates.
    However, could just need a good wash - all the teeth with a small non-metal brush.

Have a look and let us know.
    Cheers from Newfoundland!
    Dean

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

If the belt ISN'T hard against the rear sprocket flange, And your hearing a squeak and not a wine, Then I'm out of ideas

P/S Check your Front sprocket, Mine went 3 weeks ago [still in the shop], My dealer has 3 more Spyders in to repair with worn front sprockets.

PhotoShop Master
    Spyder Garage

thanks for the tips ... since i havent washed my spyder in around a year that might help ... and i will check front sprocket .....
    thanks again

Spyder Garage

thanks for the tips ... since i havent washed my spyder in around a year that might help ... and i will check front sprocket .....
    thanks again
    Also want to take a peek to be sure the belt is aligned correctly on the rear sprocket, just in case the squeak is just the belt out of alignment and rubbing on the flanges.

Cheers.
    Dean

Spyder Garage

Front sprocket. A sqeeking belt was what I had. When I checked everything it was a bad front sprocket.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine was doing the same thing - belt rubs against outer part of front pulley
    Sounds like a typical belt squeal when first starting to move
    My front pulley has some serious wear in it after only 22k miles
    In shop now - hope itll be replaced under a warranty claim