Spyder Garage

Default Nelson-Rigg CAS-360 Full Cover Review

My wife has been using an extra large motorcycle cover that she picked up from WalMart for her Spyder. It sort of worked, but was definitely nothing you would want to write home about, or ever take with you on a trip. I already had the NR Half Cover and told them about the issues when trying to use it with a taller windshield. I decided to see if they had any new offerings available, and I found this full cover. It has a pocket that you can velcro closed for a shorty windshield, or pop open for a touring shield. I figured for $89.95 it was definitely worth a try.

The cover arrived at my house yesterday, and was encased in this box:

Upon opening the box you see the warranty registration cards:

The cover is neatly folded into a convenient carrying bag:

Then it was time for the fitment test. My wife's Spyder was the first in line, as this cover is meant to replace her other one.

Spyder before being covered:

Spyder after being covered:

Here you can see the details of the tall windshield pocket that is opened:

It fit well, and should definitely serve her needs for a good outdoor cover.

Besides the usual heat resistant section for the exhaust pipe, and the soft area for the windshield, this cover also has some interesting air vents. This should not only let the cover breathe, but I also think it would work well to keep it from tenting in a high wind situation.

Here is a picture of one of the vents:

While I was out in the heat anyway, I figured I would test fit it on my Spyder as well since my windshield is a good bit shorter than hers.

My Spyder uncovered:

My Spyder covered:

Of course, one of the most common complaints about any product that comes nicely packed in a carrying case is that it usually won't go back into that case. I am happy to report that even though I did not even attampt to fold the cover back up the way it came out of the case, it went back in without any problems at all.

Here is what it looks like back in the carrying case:

I am very happy that I got this cover for my wife's Spyder, and believe she will be as well. Now that I see how the pocket for the taller windshield works, I will likely look into getting another half cover as they have also modified those to include the new pocket.

So, if someone is looking for a good cover for their GS/RS model Spyder at a very reasonable price point, you may want to look into this one.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Nelson Rigg ought to hire you!!! You do fantastic reviews of their products!!!

I'll be watching for your review of the half cover!!
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the usual, splendid review. Nice to hear that the half cover has been modified as well. Nancy would like an alternative to her full BRP cover.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Nelson Rigg cover!

Great review. The local Dealer just started getting them in place of brp covers. I have my eye on the half cover to use for out n about- work.
    Let us know how the cover holds up.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    My wife has been using an extra large motorcycle cover that she picked up from WalMart for her Spyder. It sort of worked, but was definitely nothing you would want to write home about, or ever take with you on a trip. I already had the NR Half Cover and told them about the issues when trying to use it with a taller windshield. I decided to see if they had any new offerings available, and I found this full cover. It has a pocket that you can velcro closed for a shorty windshield, or pop open for a touring shield. I figured for $89.95 it was definitely worth a try.

The cover arrived at my house yesterday, and was encased in this box:

Upon opening the box you see the warranty registration cards:

The cover is neatly folded into a convenient carrying bag:

Then it was time for the fitment test. My wife's Spyder was the first in line, as this cover is meant to replace her other one.

Spyder before being covered:

Spyder after being covered:

Here you can see the details of the tall windshield pocket that is opened:

It fit well, and should definitely serve her needs for a good outdoor cover.

Besides the usual heat resistant section for the exhaust pipe, and the soft area for the windshield, this cover also has some interesting air vents. This should not only let the cover breathe, but I also think it would work well to keep it from tenting in a high wind situation.

Here is a picture of one of the vents:

While I was out in the heat anyway, I figured I would test fit it on my Spyder as well since my windshield is a good bit shorter than hers.

My Spyder uncovered:

My Spyder covered:

Of course, one of the most common complaints about any product that comes nicely packed in a carrying case is that it usually won't go back into that case. I am happy to report that even though I did not even attampt to fold the cover back up the way it came out of the case, it went back in without any problems at all.

Here is what it looks like back in the carrying case:

I am very happy that I got this cover for my wife's Spyder, and believe she will be as well. Now that I see how the pocket for the taller windshield works, I will likely look into getting another half cover as they have also modified those to include the new pocket.

So, if someone is looking for a good cover for their GS/RS model Spyder at a very reasonable price point, you may want to look into this one.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Nelson Rigg Cover

I bought one in December and love it. I also like the loops at the bottom to apply a lock to keep the wind from blowing it off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBT View Post
    Nelson Rigg ought to hire you!!! You do fantastic reviews of their products!!!

I'll be watching for your review of the half cover!!
    Thanks!

I did a review on the half cover when I first got mine, and it is located here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=18837 If you look at it you will see the fitment issues I was talking about with a taller windshield and the BRP backrest. I got it to work though and am happy with it, but the pocket would make things a lot better I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Thanks for the usual, splendid review. Nice to hear that the half cover has been modified as well. Nancy would like an alternative to her full BRP cover.
    I have the BRP Outdoor Cover for my Spyder, and can definitely understand wanting an alternative. The good thing is the half cover hardly takes up any room when packed back in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Soldier View Post
    I bought one in December and love it. I also like the loops at the bottom to apply a lock to keep the wind from blowing it off.
    Thanks for adding that, I forgot and left it out. It comes with a hook and cord so you can hook the two sides together through 1" eyelets. Although with the fit on the front wheels, and around the back with the BRP backrest on, I wouldn't expect this cover to go anywhere by itself.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Great review.

Nelson-Riggs used my spyder for the measuring of the new cover.

I am trying to upload pictures of their new half cover with the pocket for taller wind sheilds. But I am having problems with my old laptop. I will try again this moring when I get off work.

I also have the full cover and like it also.

The half cover works great for when your are out and about.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bragg View Post
    Great review.

Nelson-Riggs used my spyder for the measuring of the new cover.

I am trying to upload pictures of their new half cover with the pocket for taller wind sheilds. But I am having problems with my old laptop. I will try again this moring when I get off work.

I also have the full cover and like it also.

The half cover works great for when your are out and about.
    Thanks, and good job to you in working with them on the fitment of the cover.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

Default SpyderWolf - can you give an update on your review?

How has this cover held up in the last year? Is it good enough for regular outside usage?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FaranH View Post
    How has this cover held up in the last year? Is it good enough for regular outside usage?
    I have two Nelson-Rigg covers, the full size which I use for winter storage (indoors), and the half size which I use exclusively outdoors whenever I park the Spyder away from home. Both covers work great. The cover I use outdoors has endured many hours of weather. Other than lightening up a bit it shows no sign of wear after a year of use. It effectively protects the Spyder from the sun and is quite waterproof. The only issue I found is that it causes significant scratching to the windshield after many hours on a very windy day even though it contains a soft material to prevent this. I resolved this problem simply by placing an ordinary pillow case over the windshield before putting the cover on.

Spyder Garage

That is a great idea

I am getting 2 of these covers this week and I will definitly leverage your idea.