Thread: Yellowstone

Spyder Garage

Default Yellowstone

Planning a trip this summer from Seattle to Yellowstone, Tetons, glacier Nation Park and Flaming gorge any advice or suggestions for the trip?
    Absorb what is useful, use no limitation as limitation

Spyder Garage

Must get the Bison burger at 3 Bears Lodge located right in the town of West Yellowstone outside the west entrance.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I will be heading to Yellowstone for a three or four day trip in mid July. It is an awesome place.

Spyder Garage
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

Thats all really good stuff--recommend getting a national parks guidebook which will help you to pick and choose sights if your time is limited in one place. All have stunning scenery--so you won't go wrong on any of them.

Drive the upper basin highway in Yellowstone--you will feel like your going to drop off the world--but the views are to die for. Also make sure you see Yellowstone canyon--not as big as Grand Canyon--but pretty nice anyway.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder 5 Team Member MickeyFisher's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you go to Glacier National Park you should do the Going to the Sun Road, some of the most spectacular views I've ever seen. Great hike up there to an overlook for Hidden Lake.

Also, in Columbia Falls before you get into the park on the West Entrance, there's a restaurant called The Back Room, that serves amazing food. It's the back section of a diner called The Nite Owl, you have to walk through the diner or park in the back, but it's a whole other restaurant. Try the country ribs and the fry bread!!

Spyder Garage

Going to the Sun road is really good. There was an article about that ride in Rider Magazine a few issues back.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

We'll be there in Sept - taking 12 through northern Idaho, then into the north entrance. Staying at Lake Yellowstone lodge (cabins) - one day on the north loop, one day on the south loop, and one day out to Cody & the Chief Joseph scenic byway, then down to Jackson for a couple of days around the Tetons and eastern Idaho....
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Heliplt View Post
    Planning a trip this summer from Seattle to Yellowstone, Tetons, glacier Nation Park and Flaming gorge any advice or suggestions for the trip?

We went to Yellowstone last year (2010) had a great time . Here is a link to our pictures http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...hp?albumid=881

We went the first week in June. The weather was still somewhat cool, but overall it was good. The buffalo calves were still pretty young and the elk having there calves.

We also went south out of the park to Jackson Hole, the Grand Tetons are an awesome site.

Have a safe trip!

Spyder 5 Team Member MickeyFisher's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Aka - I second your suggestion of Yellowstone Canyon, too. It was stunning. I might be one of the few who skipped the geysers, I was more obsessed with the wildlife.

Spyder Garage

A lot of great info, thanks for the input
    Absorb what is useful, use no limitation as limitation

Spyder Garage

Great info.
    2011 Red RT-S
    2005 Red R1
    All Who Wander Are Not Lost - Tolkien

Spyder Garage

Default Yellowstone

I suggest going week after Labor Day. No crowds . little traffic. We were able to stay at any of the Lodges they all had vacancies. Also we go snowmobiling every year in the Park. Really is spectacular in the winter.
    They have package deals at most motels. Check them out.

Spyder Garage

Default Trip Planning

Quote Originally Posted by Heliplt View Post
    I am thinking about a trip to SLC and Flaming Gorge sometime after Labor Day. Might take a jaunt to Bonneville Salf Flat (Wendover, UT), too. I have to be in Virginia on 9/16 so that kinds of messes up any long stretches in mid-month.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Default Glacier

Glacier is a motocyclists park . You will see lots of them up there. Make sure you see the Canadian part of the park. Be sure to check the time that the border crossing closes. We almost missed it and the next crossing was about 60 miles away. You will really enjoy this park. We stayed in Kalispell. Made a good headquarters for the trip.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RED RIDER View Post
    I suggest going week after Labor Day. No crowds . little traffic. We were able to stay at any of the Lodges they all had vacancies. Also we go snowmobiling every year in the Park. Really is spectacular in the winter.
    They have package deals at most motels. Check them out.
    Right after labor day is the best time, the traffic at Glacier will be a lot less even though it still backs up some because of the roadwork they are doing, but that givexs you a chance to take more pics and really see the sights. We were there last yearand it snowed a little (day after labor day) at Yellowstone but it was nice. We stayed at the town of West Yellostone and the restaurants were not that good and really expensive. If you go to Glacier I highly recommend the Hampton Inn in Kalispell. There is a real neat "soda shop" in Kalispell and the town of Whitefish is really neat (right next to Kalispell.) Haave fun it is beautiful, even better than the pix.