Thread: Hot Rod RSS?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Hot Rod RSS?

Fellow Hot rodders. I could use a little of you expertise here. I have a 2011 RSS-SE5 (LOVE This ) After reading many post on what you folks have done I have chosen and installed the following.. HMF carbon pipe W/O2 modifer. The pipe is loud but sounds awesome. The RSS runs well no pop on decell or under load. There is some slight hesitation off the line but the midrange & top end are strong. ( pulls hard from 6000rpm up to 9000) I have the Green filter but have not yet installed it.

1. Do you think I should install the air filter?
    2. Should I invest in the juice box?
    3. Whats better JB or JB Pro???
    4. Is it possible for thr Y pipe gaskest to fail in only 1000 miles???

Thanks fellow Hot Rodders

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No reason not to install the filter if you have it. Generally, adding a pipe only can be handled by the stock fuel mapping. However, if you open up the intake then some sort of additional fuel control will stop you from running too lean.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you want most out of your spyder, go with jb pro as that's where most power boost is going to come from, fuel management.
    More air coming in and out can not do much without more fuel.

The hesitation you speak of off the line is just characteristic of se5, I am afraid.
    Spyder is just not happy at low rpm and with se5, you don't have the option take off at higher rpm, other than hold the brake and release.

As for myself, I have come to a term with my spyder that it's not going to be like crotch rocket. It's still best ride I ever had but just not a speed demon, especially with se5. Plus suspension sucks so more power is meaningless if you can't put it on the pavement. With just powercommander and evo's race air, could not keep it on pavement...

Y gaskets are flimsy. I think shortest interval for me was 4000 miles. As with a lot of people here, I went with goldwing gasket but just on right side. Left one always looked new and it was hard enough to slip the pipe in with thicker gasket on one side with spyder on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BLACKSPYDER View Post
    Fellow Hot rodders. I could use a little of you expertise here. I have a 2011 RSS-SE5 (LOVE This ) After reading many post on what you folks have done I have chosen and installed the following.. HMF carbon pipe W/O2 modifer. The pipe is loud but sounds awesome. The RSS runs well no pop on decell or under load. There is some slight hesitation off the line but the midrange & top end are strong. ( pulls hard from 6000rpm up to 9000) I have the Green filter but have not yet installed it.

1. Do you think I should install the air filter?
    2. Should I invest in the juice box?
    3. Whats better JB or JB Pro???
    4. Is it possible for thr Y pipe gaskest to fail in only 1000 miles???

Thanks fellow Hot Rodders
    Last edited by aka1004; 05-29-2011 at 10:17 PM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Install the Green Filter. The O2 mod should be able to handle the Green Filter and the new exhaust can just fine. You may even notice that your hesitation goes away a bit. If you start having issues after that, then you can look into a JB Pro or Power Commander. Chances are good that you will not need one of thosen with the setup you are talking about.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

You could go with the in box filter change, but Evoluzione and Kewl Metal each make a real hot rod type air filter set up. Evo has a fuel pressure modifier, too. If you stay with in box filter, Mels Monster Garage was making a direct air tube from right scoop to airbox to charge the air. You can do this your self with some of the cold air intake flex tube and other parts available at the autoparts store. I have gone a different route and shoe horned a Spectre cone filter on the outside of my airbox intake, those are also in the cold air mod section of autoparts stores.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

2nd on the recommendation for the Kewlmetal air intake. It adds more growl to the engine, ups the output and cleans up the engine look,
    Sam Mancuso

Our "his and hers" Spyders. Read more about them at theotherwheel.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by qasamm View Post
    2nd on the recommendation for the Kewlmetal air intake. It adds more growl to the engine, ups the output and cleans up the engine look,
    That growl can only be heard by the rider. The real plus is making that right side plug cake to get at.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by qasamm View Post
    Use the standard JB with the 02 mod. otherwise the sensor has to remain with the JB Pro. I love the Kewmetal intake, first for the sound, takes away all that funky mech. noise and second it really cleans up the engine area.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Everybody!!!!!!!!!