Spyder Garage

Default FYI about trailer....

I have not seen this issue posted and would like to share a bit of education that I have picked up.
    ...been fighting with dealership over (shipping) damaged trailers and along the way another issue popped up.

The trailer comes with 3M paint guards around the bottom and top of the 1st lid. These, with wear, will scuff and you can replace them ($180+ through BRP catalog).

Apparently, some of the dealerships did not get the "memo" and have been pulling off the guards before sale.
    Remember, if you never saw a trailer with the guards...you would not know they were missing.
    For most advertising shots the 3M has been removed.

I have informed my dealership that some buyers may be returning their trailers for a "fix"...

and when I pick up my trailer, the guards best be in their proper place.
    Carol Smead
    2010 RTS Blue, gone but not forgotten
    Former owner of 2008 PE #1032 Yellow

Spyder Garage

Great! Thanks for the post. My new trailer should be in this coming Tuesday, and I will make sure they are in place.

Thanks again

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Go get'em girl!

Don't let him ruin your well-deserved, upcoming vacation!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info !

Spyder Garage

Very interesting..... wonder why these dealers are removing them?

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Very interesting..... wonder why these dealers are removing them?
    brain dead???

Spyder Garage

Also get down on the ground and look under the rear end of the trailer for scraping damage. Lifting the front end by the hitch and moving trailer across pavement surface leaves deep scrapes that remove the paint. Can only see if you get down low. Really bad scrapes.

Spyder Garage

As some of you may recall when I bought my new Limited last month we also ordered a new (we were told 2011) matching trailer. Well, they then told us there was an availability problem with getting a white trailer and would paint one white for us using the correct BRP paint and was assured the paint would be as good as factory.

24 days after purchase I get my trailer delivered to the dealership along with my papers that I had waited 5 hours for (promised to be there the previous Saturday.) I go into the shop and the trailer is hooked up to my Spyder and the lighting was not the greatest, but there were drill shavings in the bottom of the trailer from putting the rain guard upgrade in. I asked again if it was a 2010 trailer, because I bought a 2011. I was again assured that the upgrade was installed since it was an early 2011 trailer, but it was in-fact a 2011. Well, I am late and only had limited time to get to the county to assess for taxes and then on to the state to pay sales tax and tag the trailer and Spyder. Low & behold I get into the county office and the assessor is doing the papers and I see the MSO for the first time. My trailer was in-fact a black 2010 RT-622 manufactured in Jan 2010!

The assessor now has my papers and it is officially mine at that point and I was not going to beat the time for penalties (remember this is day 24 and in 6 days I would be penalized over 30 days.) So, I grumble and go ahead and tag and tax the trailer since both are on the same contract, etc.

That evening I notify the dealership I am upset. Dealership does not respond to me, but I get a call the following day from Little Rock trying to smooth things over. In the meantime I am detailing the trailer and the 3M tape is bubbled and was put on top of dirty fing/hand prints showing through on the paint like a sore thumb flashing. Next I get to the wheels and the wheel on the right side spokes are all chipped!

If that isn't enough MC trailers in Arkansas use a MC sized license plate and the BRP holes are for a full sized plate! Then I am pretty much told this is brand new news to everyone all the way up to BRP!!!

$4,000 for a trailer that has all those problems is unacceptable IMNSHO. Little Rock is doing back flips to work with me on the trailer, but I am stuck with a 2010 trailer now with problems that will eventually be fixed. None of which should have ever been seen by me the consumer in the first place.

I am all but certain once my wife gets her endorsement she will be wanting the front seat of the Spyder. When that happens I suspect instead of going to our selling dealership for a second Spyder we will be taking a road trip up to CowTown.
    Last edited by retiredsquid; 05-27-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retiredsquid View Post
    As some of you may recall when I bought my new Limited last month we also ordered a new (we were told 2011) matching trailer. Well, they then told us there was an availability problem with getting a white trailer and would paint one white for us using the correct BRP paint and was assured the paint would be as good as factory.

24 days after purchase I get my trailer delivered to the dealership along with my papers that I had waited 5 hours for (promised to be there the previous Saturday.) I go into the shop and the trailer is hooked up to my Spyder and the lighting was not the greatest, but there were drill shavings in the bottom of the trailer from putting the rain guard upgrade in. I asked again if it was a 2010 trailer, because I bought a 2011. I was again assured that the upgrade was installed since it was an early 2011 trailer, but it was in-fact a 2011. Well, I am late and only had limited time to get to the county to assess for taxes and then on to the state to pay sales tax and tag the trailer and Spyder. Low & behold I get into the county office and the assessor is doing the papers and I see the MSO for the first time. My trailer was in-fact a black 2010 RT-622 manufactured in Jan 2010!

The assessor now has my papers and it is officially mine at that point and I was not going to beat the time for penalties (remember this is day 24 and in 6 days I would be penalized over 30 days.) So, I grumble and go ahead and tag and tax the trailer since both are on the same contract, etc.

That evening I notify the dealership I am upset. Dealership does not respond to me, but I get a call the following day from Little Rock trying to smooth things over. In the meantime I am detailing the trailer and the 3M tape is bubbled and was put on top of dirty fing/hand prints showing through on the paint like a sore thumb flashing. Next I get to the wheels and the wheel on the right side spokes are all chipped!

If that isn't enough MC trailers in Arkansas use a MC sized license plate and the BRP holes are for a full sized plate! Then I am pretty much told this is brand new news to everyone all the way up to BRP!!!

$4,000 for a trailer that has all those problems is unacceptable IMNSHO. Little Rock is doing back flips to work with me on the trailer, but I am stuck with a 2010 trailer now with problems that will eventually be fixed. None of which should have ever been seen by me the consumer in the first place.

I am all but certain once my wife gets her endorsement she will be wanting the front seat of the Spyder. When that happens I suspect instead of going to our selling dealership for a second Spyder we will be taking a road trip up to CowTown.

Sounds to me like someone had a used one laying around and tried to sell it as new. Do you have any recourse??

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards