Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Question How is the car tire vs bike tire working out?

I'm nearing the point that some feed back would be great... Weather to stay with the stock tires or change over to the auto tires...
    Glenn as Big Bird

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    I'm nearing the point that some feed back would be great... Weather to stay with the stock tires or change over to the auto tires...
    Glenn as Big Bird
    I'm running the Kuhmo in the rear and so far so good. It isn't as sticky as the stock tire, but for most riding conditions, you won't notice. It is a little more slippery in the rain on take off than stock as well... However, I expect to get at least double the mileage out of the Kuhmo versus the stock tire based on other owner's experience.

I stayed stock on the fronts, though others have noticed longer wear on auto tires... They were cheap enough, and after hearing reports of weird behavior of front car tires once you cross 100MPH, I'd rather stay with the direction stocks and just rotate them from now on.... I'm hoping to get 24k out of this new set.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Car tires

We now have 2 rs's we changed the first one to car tires the stocks were go
    gone in 6000 mi switch back and forth between the two and there is no comparison the real tires ride better handle better are less darty and I'm sure will out wear the stickers 3 or 4 to one

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=WackyDan;322722]I'm running the Kuhmo in the rear and so far so good. It isn't as sticky as the stock tire, but for most riding conditions, you won't notice. It is a little more slippery in the rain on take off than stock as well... However, I expect to get at least double the mileage out of the Kuhmo versus the stock tire based on other owner's experience.

I changed the rear stock at 11,800 miles. I have about 13,200 on the Kuhmo and it is still going strong.
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

I am running the BF Goodrich gForce Sport rear tire in my Spyder in the stock size. I replaced the stock one at 10K as it was done. I currently have 8K on the gForce and it still looks new to me. I am very happy with the performance of it so far.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    I am running the BF Goodrich gForce Sport rear tire in my Spyder in the stock size. I replaced the stock one at 10K as it was done. I currently have 8K on the gForce and it still looks new to me. I am very happy with the performance of it so far.
    BF will be my next rear as it is stickier. How is the BF in the rain?
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    26,000 miles.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    BF will be my next rear as it is stickier. How is the BF in the rain?
    I haven't had any problems with it holding in the rain at all. There were a couple of times that I hydroplaned with the stock rear on, but that hasn't happened yet with the BFG. I'm not saying it can't, or won't, but it hasn't so far.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm running the Kuhmo in the rear and so far so good. It isn't as sticky as the stock tire, but for most riding conditions, you won't notice. It is a little more slippery in the rain on take off than stock as well... However, I expect to get at least double the mileage out of the Kuhmo versus the stock tire based on other owner's experience.
    I'm also running a stock size Kumho on the rear of my 2010 RT. I agree with Dan that it isn't as sticky as the OEM tire but it's not a problem. We haven't had any rain to ride in so I don't know how it will be in the rain. Just less than 2,000 miles on it so I don't know how the wear will be but I hope it's better than the OEM. Only got 9,000 miles out of the first OEM and changed the second with about 5500 mile although it wasn't completely worn out.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

I understand that people were a bit aprehensive when the Spyder first came out and few people were running auto tires. However, so many have made the switch with positive results there is no reason to have any major concerns. I am completely happy and feel that the spyder is better than ever with my stiffer auto tires and upgraded suspension pieces.
    Old Spyder Mods:
    No Magic Neon Triple Play II, Leo Vince SBK Exhaust, MMG Backrest, BRP Seat Skin, XOPRODOX Grips & Throttle Rocker, Paint By Tallant's Hot Rods, Kewl Metal Air Filter, Juice Box, Evoluzione O2 Mod, DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap, Ride Wright Mojo Wheels and Pulley, Custom Handlebars, Relocated Ignition Switch, Madstad Robo Brackets, Evoluzione Swaybar, RT Shocks/Springs, Toyo R1R, Odyssey Battery, Lowered Shock Mount, SFB Floorboards, Fenderless w/ Custom License Bracket.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    I'm also running a stock size Kumho on the rear of my 2010 RT. I agree with Dan that it isn't as sticky as the OEM tire but it's not a problem. We haven't had any rain to ride in so I don't know how it will be in the rain. Just less than 2,000 miles on it so I don't know how the wear will be but I hope it's better than the OEM. Only got 9,000 miles out of the first OEM and changed the second with about 5500 mile although it wasn't completely worn out.

Cotton
    I ran all day in rain north of Philly this past September. Back country roads all the way, and that Kumho held the road fine in the turns, when just touring around... so don't worry about the rain.. Be as careful as you always are in the rain and the Kumho is just fine.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    26,000 miles.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I ran all day in rain north of Philly this past September. Back country roads all the way, and that Kumho held the road fine in the turns, when just touring around... so don't worry about the rain.. Be as careful as you always are in the rain and the Kumho is just fine.
    Thanks for the report. I just wish we had some rain to ride in. We had a little rain about 5:00 AM Friday morning and I thought about getting out of bed and going riding just so I could get wet. It's been really hot and dry here. Nice to know I can trust the Kumho if we ever get any rain.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Glenn as Big Bird
    Kumho works well for me
    Last edited by darren; 05-21-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: spelling
    kew metal air cleaner, juice box pro, fan regulator, 02 elimiator,afr gauge, oil presure gauge, bar riser , ikon f & r shocks,sway bar.custom drilled rims with 205/40/16 new engine at 10000 km's, larger frount brake rotors,Yoshi R3 ss exhaust, custom candy orange with air brushed spiders
    now removed kew air cleaner, o2 elimiator, custom wheels and yoshi. runs better with out you live and learn they say, and if its not broken don't replace it"

Spyder Garage

Both my wife and I are on our second set of Kumho tires. We love them (especially for the price) and they've been working great on our Spyders for over two years and over 20,000 miles.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What tires are you putting on the front?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    What tires are you putting on the front?
    I'm still riding with the original fronts at 33,000 miles.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

I also have a bf goodrich rear tire and i like it because it's a much smoother ride. Where stock was hard.

Roger

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is anybody running Potenzas up front?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I'm still riding with the original fronts at 33,000 miles.
    Wow that's amazing. My fronts are showing uneven wear on the inside. I asked the service guy if it was an alignment issue and he said it is a camber issue and he didn't know how that could be fixed.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Wow that's amazing. My fronts are showing uneven wear on the inside. I asked the service guy if it was an alignment issue and he said it is a camber issue and he didn't know how that could be fixed.
    Wear on the insides of both fronts is normally a toe-in issue, and can be addressed
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Scotty the service guy said just the opposite. Said it wasn't toe in or toe out but camber. I believe you.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

toyo tr1 ....works fine... and better traction than factory tire in the rain (and sometimes the snow)
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Scotty the service guy said just the opposite. Said it wasn't toe in or toe out but camber. I believe you.
    The two conditions are similar. I'm not saying your tech is wrong, but a camber-caused condition on the Spyder tires would be a result of improper design or construction, since the camber is not adjustable. This is not only unlikely, but would be a basic flaw that would open the manufacturer to consequences under the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Toe-in wear will usually show with feathering across all the tread sections of the tire, with more wear either toward the inside or outside edge, depending on whether the vehicle is toed-out or toed-in.

Camber wear will normally show in only the outermost or innermost tire tread section. It usually doesn't cause feathering, just angled wear. Cupping can also occur if there are additional problems with loose suspension components.

A close inspection of your wear pattern may shed light on the cause of your tire wear issue. If worn too far, it may be hard to tell, though. In my opinion, any uneven tire wear pattern is justification to check the alignment, and to carefully inspect for wear or play in suspension components.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Scotty. Looking closely at them the right tire looks more worn than the left. I'll have Joe read your post and take a look at them.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thanks Scotty. Looking closely at them the right tire looks more worn than the left. I'll have Joe read your post and take a look at them.
    I have just the opposite problem. My left tire wears down on the outside face. The right tire is fine with no unusual wear. The toe-in is set to the correct amount.
    It now appears as though the alignment was set with the handlebars twisted slightle to the left.
    BRP is issuing a new tool to help fix this. I hope to get the Spyder back from the shop in time for memorial day. I HOPE
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Is anybody running Potenzas up front?
    I thought somebody was at one time, perhaps SSG Bean, but cannot seem to remember exactly who it was. I almost bought a set, but ended up going with another set of stock tires on the front at 16K.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!