Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default New ways to tax your driving/riding/ryding

Our government is actually looking into the feasibility of tracking every vehicle on the road by GPS and charging you by the mile driven, and possibly by the roads taken and time of day you drive.
    http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/18/news...dex.htm?hpt=T2

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great! Now I'm just gonna have to walk to the station with my 2 six-gallon cans... Maybe the excercise will be good for me!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Interesting idea - won't sit well with people due to the possible tracking of us. As more cars become electric and use less gas - but still use the same roads that we do - they may have to do something to make sure those folks are paying their fair share to keep the roads we share in good shape.

A guy with the Nissan Leaf (100% electric) would be using the roads without paying any tax for their upkeep.

They've talked about this 'tracking mileage' for many years now - doubt it will get any further than just talk.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I doubt it could get much mileage with any congress critter wanting to be elected or re-elected. Plus, I seriously doubt such a thing could pass scrutiny with the Supreme Court.

Spyder Garage

This is just another one of a thousand ideas they claim to consider rather than to do their jobs Witch is to CUT SPENDING ON WORTHLESS PROJECTS. It won't fly on dozens of issues including it discriminates against rural drivers who must go further and it invades privacy beyond belief...
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    ... and it invades privacy beyond belief...

Spyder Garage

Great .... can't travel to the mistress anymore. Guess we will all have to be like the governator and keep the GF at home as a live-in or renter.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    Great .... can't travel to the mistress anymore. Guess we will all have to be like the governator and keep the GF at home as a live-in or renter.

TOO FUNNY!!!

Spyder Garage

I know there was talk up here on our toll roads of giving out tickets if you got to your toll exit way to fast .
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    Maybe you could bicycle over to her place? Oh wait... The guv'ment's got cameras too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Maybe you could bicycle over to her place? Oh wait... The guv'ment's got cameras too!
    Bicycles cause wear and tear too. Especially with those skinny tires that concentrate the weight. They'll have to have RFID chips or something to track their mileage. I guess sneakers will need them too - afterall, we have to make the people who use the sidewalks actually pay for them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    I know there was talk up here on our toll roads of giving out tickets if you got to your toll exit way to fast .
    There was a time that the Savannah River Site, a former nuclear weapons complex near my house, had barricades on SC State Hwy 125. If you were passing through you would stop at the barricade and they would hand you a card with a time stamped on it. The speed limit is 55 on that road. When you got to the other end, 20 mile stretch of nothing, you would stop and turn the card in. They would check your arrival time, and if you got there way faster than you should have they would write you a ticket. On the other hand getting there way later than you should have was worse, as you would be subject to questioning about your activities while on the road. By entering the barricade you were also subject to random searches of your vehicle.

In the end it was better to obey the speed limit on that stretch of road. Today it is a free for all, but they still patrol it and write lots of tickets.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Default Every action has equal but opposite reaction

They were pushing for higher milage cars and alternate fuels. The effect is they do not collect as much taxes. Now they are scrambling to come up with an alternative means of raising cash for their pet projects. If they tax by miles I'm not sure what the next reaction will be but I'm sure they will have to devise another tax or three.
    Stay Safe!

PaulB

2011 Orange/Black Spyder RS-S

Spyder Garage

I don't think this will get much past talk. It's a bunch of crap anyway. In Kalifornia we pay some of the highest insurance and reg. fees in the nation, but where is the money going to fix our roads? In some politico's pocket obviously, because they sure aren't fixing any roads or building new ones!

Given that, I find it impossible to believe that there will be any benefit to taxing us even more to ride the same decaying roads, knowing that they will continue to decay and not get repaired. Pretty vicious cycle.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S