Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2011 RS-S Manual - BackOff XP & VSS Fault ...

For some reason when I hook up the BackOff XP unit I get a VSS Fault (C0040) & Limp Home Mode on the screen. When I put the brake lights back like they were, the Fault goes away.

When the BackOff XP is hooked up, the brake lights flash like they are suppose to and everything...

Can someone who has installed the BackOff XP unit tell me how you got past this problem.

BackOff-XP Info:
    http://signaldynamics.com/index.php?...hk=1&Itemid=77

* Note: I have installed BackOff XP in 2 other motorcycles over the years with no problems.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Spyder's CAN bus is extreamly sensitive to voltage change. Unless the electronics have chips in there to provide proper resistance, it is best not to use them. What works for other bikes will not always work for Spyder.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I suspect the module is sensing the low load when the brake lights flash off. This signals that the brake lights are out, and triggers limp mode, and error messages indicating possible system failure. The Spyder is programmed to do this (whether or not we agree). Many things, including LED lights, are not compatible with this system. That evidently includes your BackOFF module. Sorry. There are modules that work on the RS, including one from ESI, a SpyderLovers sponsor.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yes...I have also learned this with my 08 RS. I tried the Back Off xp and encountered a series of error codes. I also tried a different brand with the same results. I returned the bike back to stock and everything was fine. I haven't found a workaround for this....yet. If anyone knows how to, it would be appreciated by all....Thanks