Thread: Can't lock RT

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default Can't lock RT

I just brought my new 2011 RT home and cannot lock the bike. Of course the manual tells me nothing. I turned the handles all the way to the right and then turned the key to the left without pressing it down. It won't lock. Anyone got an answer for this one?

Spyder Garage

While sitting on the bike turn handle bars all the way to the left and then turn key without pushing it down all the way to the left .Should work or I've been doing something wrong .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Thanks,Fastfraser. That's what I did. My husband sprayed the keyhole with some WD40 and that seemed to help somewhat. Think I'll take it back to the dealer before I break the key!!!!

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

You can turn the handlebars all the way either right or left. You have to find the notch, though, when you turn the key. Wiggling or leaning against the bars can help. You should not have to force the key.

Spyder Garage

Smile

Thanks to both of you for your help! I'll learn things day by day. The dealer told me that it didn't have a tool kit which I knew couldn't be so because my previous RS had one. My husband found it under the seat when we lifted it up...can't wait to tell the dealer!! HA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You can turn the handlebars all the way either right or left. You have to find the notch, though, when you turn the key. Wiggling or leaning against the bars can help. You should not have to force the key.
    Scotty, your knoledge of these Spyders is very impresive. My hats off to you. You have helped me more than once!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Took me a couple of times to find the knotch as to where to turn the key to lock the 2011 RT, once you find it both ways it is easy to repeat.

Be Safe
    AC

Spyder Garage

My RT will not lock unless the glove compartment is closed and latched. I learned this by accident.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1026 View Post
    My RT will not lock unless the glove compartment is closed and latched. I learned this by accident.
    True, locking the handlebars also locks the glovebox on the RT.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 05-14-2011 at 07:55 AM.

Spyder Garage

True, locking the handlebars also locks the glovebox.
    Well... Now I just learned something.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Sad thing is the dealer should have gone over this with you all when you bought your RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Sad thing is the dealer should have gone over this with you all when you bought your RT
    When I bought my RT, the tech came over and showed us everything from opening and closing the compartments, locking the handlebar and where the toolkit was. I even told him later down the road (thanks to this forum) that the glovebox locked as Scotty said. I liked that the dealer (and recently a lot of car dealers are doing it) show you around the vehicle before you rYde out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealer pointed to my RT and said, "It's all yours."
    I climbed aboard and as I settled into the seat my dealer said, "Excellent."
    That was my handover, done and dusted.

Life so far with the RT has been a voyage of discovery through the pages of the owner's handbook and reading posts on this forum. Getting to know the Spyder has kept me busy for some time now...

I should be fully informed in time for summer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lawawuu View Post
    Thanks to both of you for your help! I'll learn things day by day. The dealer told me that it didn't have a tool kit which I knew couldn't be so because my previous RS had one. My husband found it under the seat when we lifted it up...can't wait to tell the dealer!! HA

If your dealer said it didn't have a tool kit, I wouldn't trust him to do any work on the Spyder. I just find it harder and harder to believe how stupid some of these dealers are!
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    If your dealer said it didn't have a tool kit, I wouldn't trust him to do any work on the Spyder. I just find it harder and harder to believe how stupid some of these dealers are!
    The guy delivering the vehicle is seldom the tech that works on it...or even the salesperson. I believe in a thorough introduction, but unfortunately many dealers don't. In that case the Owners Guide and your SpyderLovers community are your friends.

When I got my first RTS, one of the first delivered, we had to look in the Owners Guide to find the location of the toolkit. It was an education for both me and my dealer. He still remembers, and we laughed about it when I received my second RTS.

Spyder Garage

The guy delivering the vehicle is seldom the tech that works on it...or even the salesperson. I believe in a thorough introduction, but unfortunately many dealers don't. In that case the Owners Guide and your SpyderLovers community are your friends.

When I got my first RTS, one of the first delivered, we had to look in the Owners Guide to find the location of the toolkit. It was an education for both me and my dealer. He still remembers, and we laughed about it when I received my second RTS.
    When i sold Honda Motorcycles in the 80s, the first thing my boss had me do was read every different brochure we had. A week later he was asking me questions. It is very important for a sales person to know the product. If he doesn't then he doesn't belong in the position. Product information is one of the first things I ask a salesman...lack of knowledge means loss of sale. Maybe that's just me. If a salesperson is too lazy to know what he's selling then I will not do business. And, your salesperson should be the one to go over the Spyder with you and answer any more questions you may have when you take possession. He/she is the one that should have gained your confidence when you started looking to buy and should be the one you look for when you visit the dealership in the future.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    When i sold Honda Motorcycles in the 80s, the first thing my boss had me do was read every different brochure we had. A week later he was asking me questions. It is very important for a sales person to know the product. If he doesn't then he doesn't belong in the position. Product information is one of the first things I ask a salesman...lack of knowledge means loss of sale. Maybe that's just me. If a salesperson is too lazy to know what he's selling then I will not do business. And, your salesperson should be the one to go over the Spyder with you and answer any more questions you may have when you take possession. He/she is the one that should have gained your confidence when you started looking to buy and should be the one you look for when you visit the dealership in the future.
    I don't disagree at all. I also like a salesman that says "I don't know," and then looks up the answers with you. That is one of the things that sold Nancy on our first Spyder. Nevertheless, the tech seldom makes the delivery, and many dealerships delegate that task to someone other than the salesman. That's just the way it is. Hopefully, that person will be well trained, but many times they are not. Sad, but true.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    Life so far with the RT has been a voyage of discovery through the pages of the owner's handbook and reading posts on this forum. Getting to know the Spyder has kept me busy for some time now...
    If you want to look on the bright side... it kind of makes every day a bit like Christmas!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

True, locking the handlebars also locks the glovebox on the RT.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

When we picked up our new RT the dealer had his tech go over the whole with us showing us everything on his checklist that he needed to tell us and along the way we asked lots of questions and tried out evrything he was showing us. Our dealer took the time and it took the tech 11/2 to go over everything with us . Helmets off to our dealer TEAM VINCENT MOTORSPORTS