Spyder Garage

Default Rear ended today

First, all is ok. I'm fine. Bike is fine.
    The story... everybody's got a story...

I was in a long line of cars, stopped, waiting in an onramp to Rt 1 South in Danvers Mass. Everyone inches along as each preceeding car moves forward. I'm about 4 cars away from getting onto Rt 1. The small car behind me hit the rear mud guard/fender of my RTS. It was probably a 3mph bump. It moved the bike a bit nonetheless.

I shut down the bike, hopped off and gave the kid behind me a cursing out. The kid was so appologetic, admited guilt and worried about me and the bike. I told the kid that if I was on a two wheeler I would be on the pavement. THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS BIKE. 3 Whhels to the resque! I pulled the bike into the parking lot next to this onramp and inpected things. I tested forward movement with a quick braking stop and same for reverse. I did this more so to ease my mind. I inspected more. talked to the kid and only the mud flap/tire was tapped.

He kept asking if all was good. More so that he could take off and now not so much about the incident. I said yes all is fine. No I did not take his name but his plate is xxxxxxxxx

I took off and all was still fine. I was more upset that as careful as I am, I always look around and this incident happened. Its idiots behind you that alway creep up.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Spyder Garage

glad no harm no foul ....

yep had a guy tap my Harley and it cost him. bent the fender. i was able to keep the bike up but barely as I was at a stop light and he expected me to make the right turn but the car approaching had the arrow and right of way. bent my fender on the Harley ... so hear ya on better on 3 wheeler.

I always look in rear mirror and when guy is too close I turn around and give them the glare and 90% of the time they back off. other 10% they flip me off but better odds they will back off is the way I look at it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are okay. We had a friend on 2 wheels who got rear ended last weekend at the same speed as you and they did go down.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Sopher, very glad you are OK and that no harm was done. This is really weird that all these rear end incidents are taking place lately. I had a close call myself on Friday to the point that I bailed to the right shoulder. I did anticipate trouble though because when I scanned behind me before I saw the idiot on her cell phone, but traffic was just stacked and I couldn't get away from her. So I took up position in LP3 and kept my eye on her and sure enough.. I didn't stop, but I slowed to a crawl, flipped up my visor and must have given her the look of death because after that she wouldn't come within 100 feet of me!

It really drove the point home to make sure you know what is going on behind you. I've been thinking about this ever since Whacky Dan posted that crash video. Dan, I'm pretty sure you saved me brother!

I think this will be brought up when I take my motorcycle safety course next week.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=clueless;316835]...I always look in rear mirror and when guy is too close I turn around and give them the glare and 90% of the time they back off...QUOTE]
    I too have found the "glance of doom" to be useful... It's just a shame that it's ever needed!

Glad to hear that all is well!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Glad you came out all right. I too, like the "glance of doom", it is a helpful tool sometimes.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Very glad to hear that first you are OK and 2nd that is OK.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Glad Your Alright

Not a Spyder owner yet but was rear ended last week in my truck while stopped in traffic, damaged my hitch light. Did make me wonder what would've happened if I was on a Spyder. The problem is too many idiots playing with their smartphones. I'm seeing more and more of it. Maybe they need to up the penalty for texting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFox View Post
    Not a Spyder owner yet but was rear ended last week in my truck while stopped in traffic, damaged my hitch light. Did make me wonder what would've happened if I was on a Spyder. The problem is too many idiots playing with their smartphones. I'm seeing more and more of it. Maybe they need to up the penalty for texting.
    Here in CA they are hitting drivers caught texting a minimum of $159.00 for the first offense now. I feel it should be double that. There is just no need to be doing that while trying to drive. The CHP is seeting up places on the highway now where they can look for this activity. So you have one officer with the laser gun and another with binoculars. Go get 'em boys!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Glad you're ok. The Street Magic Genesis Series LED RTS HMT Brake Light Adds visibility in the rear. Don't think you can ever have too many lights on any bike!
    Wheeler~ Spyder rydin' tyre syde down!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    [CENTER]Respect is common ground we all can share![CENTER]