Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Excellent advice Scotty. I'll definitely look at that load angle. I am not worried too much about the strength of the weld. I owned a muffler/brake shop for ten years and have substantial MIG experience. I just don't own one anymore. Wish I did! will definitely have reinforcement if I do actually cut into the hitch. But before I do, I'll take your advice and look at that load angle.

Thanks for all your posts on the board. You are a wonderful resource on SpyderLovers!

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You're right, I cringed a tiny bit.

I want to throw out a couple of things for you to think about. First, one of the strengths of the BRP hitch design is a one-piece "yoke" for the hitch portion. There are no welds, making it much stronger and lighter. I would highly recommend some substantial reinforcement if you elect to cut your hitch the way you planned. If you are not an experienced MIG welder, I would get someone who is to do the work.

Second, I hope you realize that the revised hitch will only be level at one point. It moves in relationship to the Spyder during use, so it is going to be at a different angle when you load the suspension. If you climb aboard, carry a passenger, carry cargo on the Spyder, or hit a bump, the angle will change. This will move your golf bag closer to the Spyder at every bounce. Be sure to allow enough clearance...at very least. It would be stronger and less likely to have interference problems if you modified your attachment to bring it level (at some chosen point), rather than modify the hitch itself.

Spyder Garage

Smile

OK Folks, here is why SpyderLovers ROCKS.
    I have this grand plan to make my golf bag carrier look better.
    However Scotty, being the guru he is, politely pointed out that I should look at a couple of things before I jumped into cutting and welding.

Well, I am here to say THANK YOU SCOTTY! Your advice just saved me a load of headaches. I may or may not have realized when I started the project how the hitch reacted when a load was on the Spyder. But the end result is, with your excellent advice, I got my son to sit on the Spyder while I took some measurements and made some observations. You are right the hitch does pivot up to a "near level" position when a load is in place (In this case my 180# Son sitting on the passenger seat).

So two things,

First this makes my mod MUCH easier. I just need to make some brackets and attach to the travel bag, then slip into the receiver.

Second, Scotty saved me from potentially making a very costly mistake.

My dad always said, measure twice, cut once. I am glad Scotty reminded me of that.

THANKS! Three thumbs up.

I Love this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You're right, I cringed a tiny bit.

I want to throw out a couple of things for you to think about. First, one of the strengths of the BRP hitch design is a one-piece "yoke" for the hitch portion. There are no welds, making it much stronger and lighter. I would highly recommend some substantial reinforcement if you elect to cut your hitch the way you planned. If you are not an experienced MIG welder, I would get someone who is to do the work.

Second, I hope you realize that the revised hitch will only be level at one point. It moves in relationship to the Spyder during use, so it is going to be at a different angle when you load the suspension. If you climb aboard, carry a passenger, carry cargo on the Spyder, or hit a bump, the angle will change. This will move your golf bag closer to the Spyder at every bounce. Be sure to allow enough clearance...at very least. It would be stronger and less likely to have interference problems if you modified your attachment to bring it level (at some chosen point), rather than modify the hitch itself.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Golf Bag

Will this golf bag work on an RT? It looks like a good solution

http://www.ironhorsecaddybag.com/specs.html

maybe cheaper than the other traveling golf bags.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ffryder View Post

MAAAAAYBE for the RS... for the RT I can see that the seat/side bags being an issue. Anyone can help on this?
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Talking double trouble

SteveMac,
    Can your hitch be adapted to carry two bags (no I'm not counting my wife)
    Joe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jsteffey View Post
    SteveMac,
    Hope your wife is not reading these forums!!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Mine should be about half (maybe a little more) of this one and I think it will look much better too! Win Win.

Quote Originally Posted by ffryder View Post

Spyder Garage

But Yes I would think very easily. I'll be posting pics on Monday!

SteveMac,

Spyder Garage

Very bummed out today. My travel case didn't arrive. Since the whole project depends on this, I am at a stand still.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Golf bag carrier SteveMac

Stevemac, What happened with your golf bag carrier prototype. Sounded interesting.
    Joe

Spyder Garage

Still on go. Just delayed. The case I really wanted for a vertical install arrived. The problem is that it doesn't fit today's 46" drivers. So after an exhaustive search, I ordered a different and unfortunately bit more expensive case. However this new case combined with an epiphany of sorts has led me to modify my original plan slightly, but I think for the better. I won't give away too many details, save to say that it will now have some LED lighting installed. Stay tuned!!

Stevemac, What happened with your golf bag carrier prototype. Sounded interesting.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default golf club carrier

keep us posted
    Joe

Spyder Garage

Default golf bag carrier

Been awhile since I've been on the site. I visited my spyder dealer and did some measurements and a quick drawing of the trailor hitch. I then fabbed up the carrier shown in the attatched picture. The 1st one was steel and when it worked well I decided to lighten it by making it out of aluminum.I had a 2008 RS and then got a 2010 rt.....Love the RT.seven.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Carry a golf bag?? Why not just hire a caddy???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Check this link out it might be what you are looking or can use to make one for yourself

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-...r/BH91818.html
    Bruce - Mag.Metalic 2011 RT-S

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I want more!

I recently bought a 2011 RT and am excited about carrying golf clubs. Any additional pictures or sketches of the swing arm attachment will be much appreciated. I will share what ever I develop.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Can you post more pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by horse171 View Post
    Been awhile since I've been on the site. I visited my spyder dealer and did some measurements and a quick drawing of the trailor hitch. I then fabbed up the carrier shown in the attatched picture. The 1st one was steel and when it worked well I decided to lighten it by making it out of aluminum.I had a 2008 RS and then got a 2010 rt.....Love the RT.seven.jpg
    Ca you post any additional pictues or sketches? I am quite eager to get started on something like this and i like what you have done.

Many thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by horse171 View Post
    Been awhile since I've been on the site. I visited my spyder dealer and did some measurements and a quick drawing of the trailor hitch. I then fabbed up the carrier shown in the attatched picture. The 1st one was steel and when it worked well I decided to lighten it by making it out of aluminum.
    Well, I finally finished my carrier also. But I should have taken heed to your post above. I also made my first bracket out of steel and I am coming in approximately 8 pounds over the hitch rating when I have it fully loaded. So, the pics below are of my "beta version". I like the fact that this carrier does serve a dual purpose for me. First and foremost, it carrys my golf bag securely and protected from the elements, and secondly it carries two duffle bags for trips that my wife and I take. Having this keeps the Frunk open to get any items back home that we may have picked up while shopping!

Seriously though, I didn't want to invest in a trailer and I really didn't need that much room anyway, so having this multi function carrier really works for us.

Anyway, I'll be posting the specs on the carrier in my MODS post (click here), but I will post a few pics if anyone is interested. I did end up putting the LEDs on this since I plan on using it for traveling. But I will be remaking the base bracket out of aluminum to lighten the load. That should put me well under the 40 pound limit. Even though this was over the limit, I rode around home with it fully loaded to see how it would perform. Satisfied that I was unlikely to have a major problem, I recently made a 1250 mile round trip with this carrier in place. So far, so good, but the aluminum remake will seal the deal.

Golf Carrier 014.jpgGolf Carrier 020.jpgGolf Carrier 022.jpgGolf Carrier 024.jpgGolf Carrier 026.jpg
    Last edited by SteveMac; 08-22-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update and photos.Youre' mounting of the case horizontally gave me an idea.I have a 2008Gs and I think I could just mount a case to my sport rack with aluminum backing plates and straps for added piece of mind and be good to go.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    Thanks for the update and photos.Youre' mounting of the case horizontally gave me an idea.I have a 2008Gs and I think I could just mount a case to my sport rack with aluminum backing plates and straps for added piece of mind and be good to go.
    Cool! Post pics when you have a solution.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by a9ballkid View Post
    Hello...I'm a new subscriber and this is my first post. I'm seriously considering getting a spyder. I haven't settled on RS/RT yet. I've done some forum searches and I see a lot of customization & fabrication has been done, so here's my burning question??!! Has anyone built a bracket/carrier for a golf bag onto their spyder. It wouldn't matter if it tilted the bag into the "passenger space" as I'd be riding alone if I was going to play golf. No...I don't want to discuss the trailer option. My fingers are firmly crossed as this could be a deal breaker for me.

It's been a long time coming, but go to sealcreativeconcepts.com and check out my new Golf Tote.

Ride in comfort,
    John
    Seal Creative Concepts

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    Absolutely. We can play golf and ryde. Truly best of both worlds!! I'll PM you when the project is complete!!
    Would that be kinda like street polo???

Spyder Garage

Default almost free method

i have a 2009 gs and givi side bags .i just lay a towel accross the passenger seat and side bags and bungy the golf bag to the side handles ,i then put my 4 wheel pull cart on the bag and bungy it down .it works great except for long hauls .a lot of unloading to fuel up .rides quite nice with the golf stuff on too .

Spyder Garage

Sealfloorboards, sponser here has one for golf clubs and other things.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa