Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ELKA SHOCKS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by the pitbull buggy View Post
    Thats great Johns on top this!!.....how nice is to work with a company that cares, John is first class and is already working to make sure you all get the right product to work for each of you! Plus after the sale the service is just as good......Thanks john for doing whats right, and Lamont for finding the good stuff for all of us!

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Sounds great you guys get a group together John and I will make sure your taken care of. We have the Spyderfest special extened till the end of the month........695.00 no tax because of shipping out of state + free shock guards 80.00 value N/C and free shipping......... we have sevral sets on order and can get you taken care of quickly.
    Len, John, Count me in. I have a 2010 RT A&C Manual. I would be able to do the install easily enough, but would really appreciate knowing how to setup for best performance. I am often two up. I run about 250#. Wife 140#. Should I call Cowtown with payment info or PM it to you? I would also be interested in the Evoluzione Sway Bar as mentioned by SpyderRyder in post #13 above if you think it would benefit me? Thanks a lot for any advice.

Spyder Garage

I had Len and the guys install the Elka's at Spyderfest and was amazed at the difference. The ride on the twisties was so much better I could not believe it. I asked the guys in back that installed them about adjusting them and they said they come adjusted from the factory and I would only need to fine tune them with the bottom adjustment ring. I have not done any adjustment and they are great. Thanks Len and all the guys.

Spyder Garage

Next to the Corbin Saddle, the best bang for the buck! The Elka's, Evoluzione Sway Bar, and Falken Zeix Tires...what a ryde now!
    Thanks Jim - a.k.a. SpyderRider

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny".

~ Thomas Jefferson

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRider View Post
    Next to the Corbin Saddle, the best bang for the buck! The Elka's, Evoluzione Sway Bar, and Falken Zeix Tires...what a ryde now!
    A big LOL on the Corbin. I lusted after a full unit (seat, back rest, passenger back, and arm rests...) on a new RT Ltd. at Spyderfest. So I ordered one. A little nervous about spending that money and if the old butt will fit right. I got the FedEx notice tonight that it is on the way... . The only thing that really worries me about the new seat is having it sit in the sun at work. I do have the half cover, but even that is a bit of a pain to put on. I would love to see someone come out with just a seat cover for those hot days. A cover that would bungee around the Rrunk and then to the foot pegs only covering the seat. That would be sweet.

Spyder Garage

It's seems that everyone who has elkas installed has opted for the 1 ways and from what I gather from this thread the majority of the bikes are RTs. I have an 08 RS and would prefer the 2 ways but is the extra $ worth the couple extra features of the 2 ways? Does anyone have the 2ways or the 1ways on a RS that can offer there opinion?? Len perhaps you can help me in my decision based on what you have sold and reviews u have heard from other customers. I do a lot of street riding not many long rides but I'm all about performance and speed also I have 17" aftermarket rims on my spyder, take a look at my pics and see the difference in the width of my tires vs. stock would this be a factor in what shock style I should get?? Thanks
    Two Bros Duel Carbon Fiber Exhaust, Evo Sway Bar, Carbon Fiber Sport Screen, Mono Seat Cowl, H.I.D. Headlights, Missing Arm Dam & Belt Guard, MMG 29 Tooth Front Sprocket, Power Commander V with LCD and Wide Band 2 Auto Tuner, NGK Iridium Plugs, 17" After Market Wheels with Yokohama S.drive Tires with Custom 5 lug Adapters, Scorpio Alarm, Kewl Metal Performance Air Filter with MMG cold air intake, Swing Arm Tag Plate, No Fenders at ALL!!!!!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
    Does anyone have the 2ways or the 1ways on a RS that can offer there opinion??
    Go with 2's on the RS...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Don't they need to know my weight and riding style to set the pre-load, etc. ?
    The weight is more important in the situation that you are a big guy weighing over 250lbs or so. In this situation, I would opt for a slightly stiffer spring setting. Our typical setups now call for a 300lb per inch spring, but we would install at 325lb per inch spring instead in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Havasu Rider View Post
    ... I asked the guys in back that installed them about adjusting them and they said they come adjusted from the factory and I would only need to fine tune them with the bottom adjustment ring. I have not done any adjustment and they are great. Thanks Len and all the guys.
    The preload comes already adjusted but the knob on the bottom ( rebound adjuster) is there to help you fine tune the shocks. Rebound adjustment allows you to adjust the recoil speed of the shock from the spring after it has been compressed. It will prevent the shock from bouncing up too quickly after a bump to provide a safe and level vehicle. By turning the knob towards the right, you slow down the recoil speed of the shock. Turning it to the left will speed up the recoil speed.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
    It's seems that everyone who has elkas installed has opted for the 1 ways and from what I gather from this thread the majority of the bikes are RTs. I have an 08 RS and would prefer the 2 ways but is the extra $ worth the couple extra features of the 2 ways? Does anyone have the 2ways or the 1ways on a RS that can offer there opinion?? Len perhaps you can help me in my decision based on what you have sold and reviews u have heard from other customers. I do a lot of street riding not many long rides but I'm all about performance and speed also I have 17" aftermarket rims on my spyder, take a look at my pics and see the difference in the width of my tires vs. stock would this be a factor in what shock style I should get?? Thanks
    If you ride like Docdoru or Seth, you may want to look into the stage 2 or 3 shocks. The reservoirs allow to shocks to stay cooler during agressive riding to prevent shock fading, as well as provide better damping control during harsh impacts and hard turns. The stage 3 or 4 have added compression adjustment if you really want to fine tune the shocks, but they are obviously more money.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Sounds great you guys get a group together John and I will make sure your taken care of. We have the Spyderfest special extened till the end of the month........695.00 no tax because of shipping out of state + free shock guards 80.00 value N/C and free shipping......... we have sevral sets on order and can get you taken care of quickly.
    Sure hope my name is on one of them!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    A big LOL on the Corbin. I lusted after a full unit (seat, back rest, passenger back, and arm rests...) on a new RT Ltd. at Spyderfest. So I ordered one. A little nervous about spending that money and if the old butt will fit right. I got the FedEx notice tonight that it is on the way... . The only thing that really worries me about the new seat is having it sit in the sun at work. I do have the half cover, but even that is a bit of a pain to put on. I would love to see someone come out with just a seat cover for those hot days. A cover that would bungee around the Rrunk and then to the foot pegs only covering the seat. That would be sweet.
    Try one of those really big bath towels. They work for me. Cheap and if lost easy to replace.Comes in a varity of colors toboot!!!

pitbull

Len, John, Count me in. I have a 2010 RT A&C Manual. I would be able to do the install easily enough, but would really appreciate knowing how to setup for best performance. I am often two up. I run about 250#. Wife 140#. Should I call Cowtown with payment info or PM it to you? I would also be interested in the Evoluzione Sway Bar as mentioned by SpyderRyder in post #13 above if you think it would benefit me? Thanks a lot for any advice.
    Just give me a call and i'll get you set up. We can do everything over the phone and John will direct ship your shocks straight to you. Your going to love them, We can talk once you get them to help dial them in. We will stay with you till your happy

Spyder Garage

Just give me a call and i'll get you set up. We can do everything over the phone and John will direct ship your shocks straight to you. Your going to love them, We can talk once you get them to help dial them in. We will stay with you till your happy
    Excellent. Thanks a lot. I'll give you a buzz ASAP to get everything going. You guys rock!

Spyder Garage

I just finished installing my new Works Shocks - note that the left shock is a PITA to install. Project took roughly 90 minutes. Importantly - you'll need a good jack to install them….

It was worth the effort - the difference is huge.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFeet View Post
    Try one of those really big bath towels. They work for me. Cheap and if lost easy to replace.Comes in a varity of colors toboot!!!
    LOL I suppose that would work, but I'd like something more waterproof. I could just see a rainy day and my beautiful new seat covered with a wet towel. I'd be freaking out all day long...

I pondered this problem today as I await the delivery of my Corbin.

Being the industrious guy that I am, I think I may get a small BBQ cover and MOD it! Pop in a couple of brass eyelets and some bunge cords. VOILA! If it works, I'll post some pics. If it doesn't then I never tried it...as far as anyone knows.

Spyder Garage

Being the industrious guy that I am, I think I may get a small BBQ cover and MOD it! Pop in a couple of brass eyelets and some bunge cords. VOILA! If it works, I'll post some pics. If it doesn't then I never tried it...as far as anyone knows.
    I LIKE that idea. Especially if it is silver or some light color to keep the heat down.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I LIKE that idea. Especially if it is silver or some light color to keep the heat down.
    hmmm. Excellent thought Phil.

Perhaps one of those "thermal blankets". (You know the ones that look like tin foil?) That would surely reflect the heat. Similar to a windshield shade.

Spyder Garage

You can find just a slip on seat cover online. That would be better than trying to mod a BBQ grill cover. I see that Corbin sells rain covers that fit their seats. Also, other seat rebuilders like Russell sell rain covers to fit seats. Also, check these links.

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...eat-rain-cover

http://www.genuinecoolass.com/motorc...cover-dsxl.htm
    Last edited by bjt; 05-07-2011 at 05:43 PM.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    You can find just a slip on seat cover online. That would be better than trying to mod a BBQ grill cover. I see that Corbin sells rain covers that fit their seats...
    I am just so anxious to mod something, sometimes I don't see the forest for the trees.

I can't believe I missed something so obvious as well,,, maybe simply checking to see if Corbin had a seat cover,,, duh!

Thanks for posting the links also! I will be checking out the Corbin site tonight. I am such a doofus sometimes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post

If you ride like Docdoru or Seth, you may want to look into the stage 2 or 3 shocks. The reservoirs allow to shocks to stay cooler during agressive riding to prevent shock fading, as well as provide better damping control during harsh impacts and hard turns. The stage 3 or 4 have added compression adjustment if you really want to fine tune the shocks, but they are obviously more money.
    if you do go for fast (huligan) style you want to get them stiffer with the rebound setup to come back from a 30 mph posted with a pot hole in the middle of it at 90 mph aggressive.

There ARE drawbacks to this, rough ride and more buzzyness in the handlebars but I run them hard and even with aftermarket if you don't have full race or close you can tell the difference by the nanny holding you back.

Also fast is a relative term, I like the example of double the posted and add yoru ball size ( I did not make this up just heard it) but it works well for how I ride.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SethO View Post
    I like the example of double the posted and add yoru ball size ( I did not make this up just heard it) but it works well for how I ride.

Is this why my speed into corners is usually north of yours???

Lets-Race!!!!

Jim
    Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

would someone tell me if these are 1 way or 1 way + with the extra oil tank shocks with this special. Thanks

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    would someone tell me if these are 1 way or 1 way + with the extra oil tank shocks with this special. Thanks
    http://www.elkasuspension.com/?q=spyder
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I believe they are the 1 Way. The 1 Way Plus are a healthy upgrade in price.

Spyder Garage

Yesterday I received my Elka shocks that was ordered at Cowtown during Spyderfest. They are the 1 way version with nice shock protectors included free as part of the Spyderfest special. The only issue I had was the requirement of replacing the spring retaining clips with one designed to mount the proctector. Not sure why they didn't install them on the shock before shipping. Especially after going through all the trouble of correctly setting up the shocks to my specifications. I had to unscrew the preload adjuster enough to uncompress the spring to change out the spring retaining clips. It made what would have been a 1/2 hour job into a 3 hour job.

Anyway... after the install was complete CanAm-Y and I took the out for a test run. It was quite windy and we drove mostly on a road that gave us heavy cross winds. On the original 2011 RT shocks (set to position 4) in similar conditions the Spyder would rock a lot and be a little touchy on the steering whilte trying to keep it tracking straight. With the Elkas this problem is now almost non-existant. Went at speeds up to 70 mph and no problems keeping it tracking straight even though we could feel the wind gusts hitting us broadside. I haven't tried any quick fast turns yet but so far I noticed that the turns that I have made didn't cause the front end to roll as much and were much smoother. When the weather clears up I'll take it out for a real test 1 up to see how it handles in the tight turns. So far I am very happy with the results. . If it wasn't for the need to take the shocks apart to replace the spring retaining clips the complete install process would have been quick and painless. But at least now I know how to work on them if the need ever arises plus I got to use a few colorful metaphors I almost forgot was still in my vocabulary.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Default RT shock install

Our dealer quoted an hour; using 15mm end wrenches with the RT wheels off the ground, it took about that long at home. Didn't pull any body work but it is tight in there.

What would you say is the standard install time for a BRP trained mechanic to install these on an RT?[/QUOTE]
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black