Default The Power of SPYDERLOVERS.com

See my forum the power of spyderlovers in general

Registered Users W.P. Millington's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

See my forum the power of spyderlovers

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Left turn switch Sucks dealer won't replace

My right turn switch works great but my left turn only works when I jam the switch on. I took it into the dealer (SK in Portland Or) they said they were aware of the problem but the new switches did the same thing.

Spyder Garage

I too have this problem with trying to cancel my turn signals, have started to use hand signals instead of the turn signal switch. A real PITA for sure. BRP are you listening?
    Last edited by Idaspud; 09-12-2011 at 04:15 AM.

Very Happy Rider

Spyder Garage

I too have this problem with trying to cancel my turn signals, have started to use hand signals instead of the turn signal switch. A real PITS for sure. BRP are you listening?

Very Happy Rider

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP Quick Fix

If BRP is listening, here’s simple idea for a fix that will cost them and the dealers virtually nothing. Reprogram the bike’s software as follows: If either turn signal is on, then pushing the switch again in any direction (off, L or R) will turn the currently flashing signal off. End of problem. For the rare event when the rider might actually want to go directly from flashing L to flashing R or vice versa, just push it a total of twice in the proper direction (first time turns it off, second time turns it on in the new direction). End of problem. No concentration required, no staring at the dash to see if it’s off, no distraction from everything you should be watching at an intersection. My 2011 RT-S has this problem and it’s very annoying and not best for safety. Scotty’s idea works well but you still have to concentrate on it and still watch the indicators instead of watching for traffic and road hazards as you exit the intersection or finish changing lanes. Even my bright LED’s on my mirrors require a diversion of attention from the road. And at least one flash always occurs in the wrong direction before they shut off. Not good.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I am not convinced of any "improvement" to the 2011s. My 2011 is worse than my 2010 was.
    Scotty. My late build 2011 RT-S is way worse than my early 2011. I now see what all the complaining is about. Never had a problem with the early one not cancelling. What's up with that BRP?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Just another whiner... thought that the TS on the RT was normal for Spyders until SWMBO got her 2008 GS. The turn signal button on the GS works like a dream. So, BRP apparently changed something on the RTs and most definitely NOT for the good.

Spyder Garage

Gypsy100........... makes a lot of sense if it can be done.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGuy442 View Post
    Seems kinda silly that the technical challenges to engineer a properly and eloquently functioning turn signal switch are so elusive to BRP, yet they seem to do pretty well with VSS / ABS / TC and all the myriad of other highly complicated systems in the Spyder......
    Bosch were responsible for the dumb electronic stability stuff.

Barney Rubble was consulted for the really intricate turn switch design.

Could have been worse but Fred was away on a brontosaurus hunt that day.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My signal switch has gotten really bad, it turns on just fine to the right. But to the left I have to Jam it to get it to turn on and sometimes it doesn't go on. I haven't had any trouble with it self canceling, but when I cancel a right a turn it turns on the left signal.
    Dealer says it's not a problem!! Not his problem, it's mine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredCGRider View Post
    My signal switch has gotten really bad, it turns on just fine to the right. But to the left I have to Jam it to get it to turn on and sometimes it doesn't go on. I haven't had any trouble with it self canceling, but when I cancel a right a turn it turns on the left signal.
    Dealer says it's not a problem!! Not his problem, it's mine.
    If you can't hold his feet to the fire, I'd suggest that you contact Carlo. This is a safety issue.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Oh My Gosh!!!

I just love this website.... You guys are great... I have had this problem from day one! I thought it was just the way I was using the switch.

I recently did a post because I had come back from a weekend of riding in Southern Ohio - parked in the garage - husband put some oil in the Spyder and the wheels would not unlock. Dash Lights went crazy... had to have it towed/carried to Dealership after discovering a fault code and limp mode. (with the help of riders on this site)

One of the three things BRP told the dealership to replace was all the controls on the left side (turn signal etc) Another problem is the Throttle issue others have had.

I know sometimes the new Ryders (like me) ask questions that you have answered a million times but I for one really appreciate your help... I don't always know where to look for the old posts regarding and issue... Thanks again to all of you. Linda

Spyder Garage

Had a service manager tell me just yesterday it was my fault. He said he has only had one person in that had the problem and that I was probably making sweeping turns as opposed to 45 degree turns. He claims it is working correctly.
    Illinois Patriot Guard

Founding member of Woodstock Spyder Ryders

2014 RTS SE6 - White
    2010 RT/AC SE5 retired with 26,536 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Had a service manager tell me just yesterday it was my fault. He said he has only had one person in that had the problem and that I was probably making sweeping turns as opposed to 45 degree turns. He claims it is working correctly.
    Your dealer is most likely correct.

As an engineer, I am embarassed to admit that functioning properly according to the design does NOT mean there won't be issues.

In other words, the turn signals operate exactly as designed, and the design sucks.

I'd be interested to find out if there is a fix for 2012.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

My dealer asked me if I was having trouble with my switch. When I told him I was he said I wasn't the only one. I was told when BRP comes up with a solution he will let me know. As long as they don't stop working I'll wait & .

Spyder Garage

I filed a complaint with the NHTSA on Oct 13, 2011. The ODI number is 10429271 & can be found at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complai...e&refurl=email I filed it against both the lighting and electrical systems, so there are two complaints.

The Summary states:

WHEN ATTEMPTING TO CANCEL TURN SIGNALS (LEFT OR RIGHT), IT IS VERY LIKELY THAT THE OPPOSITE TURN SIGNAL WILL BE ACTIVATED RATHER THAN CANCELING. THIS CAUSES THE DRIVER TO HAVE TO CHECK THE DASH FOR TURN SIGNAL CANCELLATION. IT IS COMMON TO HAVE THIS OCCUR MULTIPLE TIMES WITH EACH CANCELLATION ATTEMPT, CAUSING THE TURN SIGNALS TO ALTERNATE LEFT & THEN RIGHT MULTIPLE TIMES ALL WHILE TRYING TO CANCEL IT. SEVERAL ATTEMPTS AND SEVERAL SECONDS OF THE DRIVER'S ATTENTION IS OFTEN REQUIRED TO SUCCESSFULLY CANCEL TURN SIGNALS. THIS PRESENTS A SAFETY HAZARD AS THE DRIVER IS NOT WATCHING THE ROAD AND TRAFFIC AND ALSO BECAUSE THE DRIVER IS SENDING CONFUSING SIGNALS OF HIS/HER INTENT TO OTHER DRIVERS. THIS PROBLEM HAPPENS AT ANY SPEED OR WHILE STOPPED. THIS PROBLEM CAN OCCUR WITH EVERY ATTEMPT TO CANCEL THE TURN SIGNAL. THIS PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE WORSE WHILE WEARING GLOVES.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up turn sw

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    It worked great on my 2009 SE5 but on my 2011 RTS its a bear to cancel and it usually turns on the other way .
    Yea, me too. I just thought it was my being spastic that caused the other turn signal to come on. Now that I know I'm still perfect, I'll mention it to the mx folks.

So far, my new RT has been pretty good. Couple DTS (or is it DPS?) and the rear shock warning about being manual, but the switch still ran the pump. They took care of those and some updates at the 3,000 mx.

I'm a happy guy. Needed 3 wheels due to my back still being messed up after 2 operations and 1/2 of lower back screwed together like an erector set.

The GA Spyders have lunch going in Augusta on the 22nd. Who ever has gas and lunch money, come on down/over or up to Augusta. Directions in the State forum section.

Gees, my red Spyder icon went to the top of the referenced message. Maybe it's electrically controlled.

Tuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    The Summary states:

WHEN ATTEMPTING TO CANCEL TURN SIGNALS...
    The problem is very accurately put. The date of your complaint is recent. What is your expectation of what happens next and how long will it take?

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    The problem is very accurately put. The date of your complaint is recent. What is your expectation of what happens next and how long will it take?
    My expectations? Probably nothing. I hope someone who can effect a change will decide to fix it.

By the way, thinking back on first occurrence, I'm probably off a week. I think I purchased it one week later.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fishcraz View Post
    Make that another 2011 RT-Limited with the turn switch issue....push to cancel and it turns on the other signal. Just put a 3 postion flip switch, push right it turns on the right signal, push back to center all off, and to the left left signal on. Simple 3 position switch...forget all this fance stuff...make it functional....please!

And I know it is suppose to self cancel...but sometimes the turn is not sharp enough to engage the automatic cancel when you straighten the handle bars back out. And then you look like a clown trying to get the signals off....not to mention it is confusing to other drivers and a danger.
    My 2011 RT has the same problem,called my dealer and they said even there demo is doing the same thing.They are going to replace the switch.

Spyder Garage

Default Turn Signal

I had my turn switch changed on my 2011 RT Limited in november for sticking to the rt.
    What I found even with the new sw was that is I just pressed the sw the blinker would not always turn off.
    Then someone on this sight said to hold the sw for one second and it would return to center.
    It does return to center when using rt or left. also shuts off after 20 sec. when moving.
    I hope this will help.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Turn Signal Switch

My RTL is a 2011 with 3,000 miles on it and I have been waiting for a replacement for over 4 months with a promise of delivery by the end of Jan 2013. Which is not aceptable but what can you do ? Nothing but wait.

My switch won't cycle the lights on for a left turn and what makes it frustrating is it is an intermediate condition sometimes it do sometimes it don't. Around here with all the crazy drivers around this area you need a working turn signal switch.

Spyder Garage

Default Design defect

Money talks. Has anyone considered consulting with a products liability attorney? This has all the earmarks of class action lawsuit. It's probably imprudent to wait for someone to die as a result of the turn signal defect before taking legal action to force BRP to take corrective action.

Spyder Garage

Default If you don't ask, you don't get

BRP is NOT a publicly traded company, leaving few options to apply leverage to the company to take action. In the US the NHTSA regulates motor vehicle recalls. THe agency's website states:

NHTSA conducts defect investigations and administers safety recalls to support its mission to improve safety on our nation's highways. NHTSA is authorized to order manufacturers to recall and repair vehicles or items of motor vehicle equipment when investigations indicate they contain serious safety defects in their design, construction, or performance. NHTSA also monitors the adequacy of manufacturers' recall campaigns. Before initiating an investigation, NHTSA carefully reviews the body of consumer complaints and other available data to determine whether a defect trend may exist. [emphasis added] The interpretation is that the agency is more likely to take action if they receive alot of complaints about the same issue. I believe that if everyone on this thread filed a complaint with the NHTSA there's a good chance there would be a recall and everyone's turn signals would be replaced; at least that's my hope. If you are interested in filing a consumer complaint with the NHTSA, the link is below. I filed mine today.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm