Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Turn Signal Switch Replacement

Since day one my 2010 RT's turn signal switch has not cancelled correctly. When pushed it usually turns on the opposite signal. I talked to Carlo and he indicated BRP was aware of the problem and has made improvements to the switch. He advised I should have the dealer replace it under warranty. My dealer has ordered and received a new turn signal switch . I am scheduled to have the new switch (which I assume includes a whole new LH multifunction switch & cable) installed Saturday and they say it shouldn't take more than two hours. Has anyone had this multifunction switch & cable replaced, did it take more than a couple hours, and finally did it correct the cancel switch malfunction?

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 1551retired View Post
    Since day one my 2010 RT's turn signal switch has not cancelled correctly. When pushed it usually turns on the opposite signal. I talked to Carlo and he indicated BRP was aware of the problem and has made improvements to the switch. He advised I should have the dealer replace it under warranty. My dealer has ordered and received a new turn signal switch . I am scheduled to have the new switch (which I assume includes a whole new LH multifunction switch & cable) installed Saturday and they say it shouldn't take more than two hours. Has anyone had this multifunction switch & cable replaced, did it take more than a couple hours, and finally did it correct the cancel switch malfunction?
    Please note I have not and do not know the reality of the labor involved to do this. However two things...

1. BRP has set the amount of time they will allow the dealers to charge for any Warranty Repair. This "May" be where the quote is coming from.
    2. If they have to remove the Handlebar, or it is anything like that. OMG... 2 hours is an understatement. Basically all the front panels most of the side panels and top Tupperware has to come off. Then the start removing the head and so on, just to get to the wiring plug for replacement, sliding through holes, and or just simply access to the "Stuff"

Anyway, I hop that helps.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

You don't have to remove the handlebars to change out the switch housing and two hours sounds about right to me.

Spyder Garage

I don't know if this switch you are getting is newer than the one on my 2011 RTS, but the one on my bike sucks. My friends just laugh and ask if I know where I am going. It is a real PITA.

Willly
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

It worked great on my 2009 SE5 but on my 2011 RTS its a bear to cancel and it usually turns on the other way .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billythekidd View Post
    I don't know if this switch you are getting is newer than the one on my 2011 RTS, but the one on my bike sucks. My friends just laugh and ask if I know where I am going. It is a real PITA.

Willly
    The one on my 2010 worked much better.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

All of my switches were replaced last year (both sides plus the screen...had other problems too) and all was fine until the ride to Spyderfest. The turn signal problem as you described reared its ugly headd again!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, I too have to same problem with cancelling the blinker. Either hubby with give me the blinking sign or on the CB will yell, blinker. would l love to have this correct too. Will there be a recall for the switch?

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruthie View Post
    Yes, I too have to same problem with cancelling the blinker. Either hubby with give me the blinking sign or on the CB will yell, blinker. would l love to have this correct too. Will there be a recall for the switch?

Sure hope so...

Spyder Garage

This is the same issue I have with my 2011 RT Limited. So nothing was changed from the 2010 model. Or if they did there wasn't any improvement. Too bad you couldn't just flip the switch in the same direction a second time to cancel. Sure would be much simpler. This is the way my HD Ultra Classic was. BRP could probably do this with a modification to the software.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

My left switch will not work to turn on the blinker. Pressing it in will turn it on. The dealership said mine is the second one with this problem. A new one is on order.

Spyder Garage

My 2011 RTS does the same thing. When I go to turn it off, it usually turns on the other side.

It's Super annoying......

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We just bought a new RT at spyderfest and the first difference I noticed on the way home was the turn signal. Push to cancel and the left signal would come on. Push to cancel again and it would go off. Annoying. What was wrong with the switch on the GS?

Spyder Garage

Holding the switch down for a second or so seems to help...but it is not foolproof. The signal cancels on switch release.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Seems kinda silly that the technical challenges to engineer a properly and eloquently functioning turn signal switch are so elusive to BRP, yet they seem to do pretty well with VSS / ABS / TC and all the myriad of other highly complicated systems in the Spyder......

The perception that a poor functioning turn signal leaves is that the product is not well engineered... and I do not believe that to be true. But when others on the road see us all fumbling to turn off a turn signal (lingering flashing or flip-flopping turn signal lights coming on), they too have to wonder what's wrong with the product.

Come on BRP...

Fix this signal and issue a Customer Satisfaction warranty campaign for it!!! There are plenty of electrical switch suppliers that have mastered the ergonomic and functional technical details of switches like this!

Gotta go now.. it's a perfect day here in Michigan (I think only our 3rd or 4th so far this Spring), and I'm going to go practice my turn signal cancelling technique.

Bill
    Last edited by GadgetGuy442; 05-05-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Spyder Garage

Smile

So happy to read I am not going crazy and others are having this issue (Not happy that your having the issue, but that I am not crazy).

Ours is a PITA to turn the left on. It started out not wanting to turn off, to turning on the right and back and forth. To now I have to press rather hard to the left to get the left blinker to work.

Funny thing is... Now it turns off easy cheesy.

I have been debating on telling my dealer or not as I want to ryde. But my heart is telling me it is to dangerous to always having to take my eyes off the road to see what it is or is not doing...

Now reading these posts I am thinking I need to wait as it sounds like I will just be going back to where it began...

We have close to 3500 miles on our new RT-s already... Just got it back from the second service, Chrome Handlebar install and a few nit-picky fixes...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I had always thought that the issue was the shape of the switch not something functional. I don't have as much of an issue anymore with turning the signals off but I do still find that quite often I think I have turned on the left signal and it isn't on. The switch on the RS is definitely easier to use.

I wish that the lights on the display were larger ie the turn signals, bright light and most of all the low fuel light indicator.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

If everything is working, the indicators should turn off automatically after you straighten out of a turn or 30seconds later (according to the man-you-elle). On the 2011 anyway.
    Mine seems to have the same problem and I have only done 200km.
    Right side seems to work fine.
    Left side either works, doesn't work or only works the rear or any other combination you can think of.
    I don't know where they got their indicator switchgear, but all of my other bikes work just fine with firm positive feel.
    You would think it would be easier to just swap out the indicator module rather than the whole thing...it's only a three way switch with some wiring.
    How hard can it be to get that to work right.
    Apart from that my baby is working fine.....so far !!!!

cheers
    Pete

Spyder Garage

I've noticed this issue with my '10 RT S. Just thought it was me. Since I still need the new gas gauge, mine still bounces, I'll see about the new switch as well.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default switches

my turn signal does the same thing on my 2011 limited. it gets old fast.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Make that another 2011 RT-Limited with the turn switch issue....push to cancel and it turns on the other signal. Just put a 3 postion flip switch, push right it turns on the right signal, push back to center all off, and to the left left signal on. Simple 3 position switch...forget all this fance stuff...make it functional....please!

And I know it is suppose to self cancel...but sometimes the turn is not sharp enough to engage the automatic cancel when you straighten the handle bars back out. And then you look like a clown trying to get the signals off....not to mention it is confusing to other drivers and a danger.

Spyder Garage

Add another to the list. Mine is an RTS 2010 Limited. I keep thinking it's my fingers that aren't pushing properly, but now that I see more and more are having this problem, I know it's not me. I'm calling my dealer today and tell them about Carlo's statement.

Spyder Garage

same problem ,2011 rt-s .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fishcraz View Post
    Make that another 2011 RT-Limited with the turn switch issue....push to cancel and it turns on the other signal. Just put a 3 postion flip switch, push right it turns on the right signal, push back to center all off, and to the left left signal on. Simple 3 position switch...forget all this fance stuff...make it functional....please!

And I know it is suppose to self cancel...but sometimes the turn is not sharp enough to engage the automatic cancel when you straighten the handle bars back out. And then you look like a clown trying to get the signals off....not to mention it is confusing to other drivers and a danger.
    Actually only a two position switch would be necessary. Push left for left signal. Push left again to cancel. Same for right. They could probably keep the existing switch and only have to modify the software.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

My RT the switch catches on the left. If you push on it when it's that way it jumps to the right blinker, hit it again and it goes to the left. I have to put it in the center than cancel it. It seems to be a problem child for many people. Time will tell with BRP.