Spyder Garage

Default A couple things I learned??

Well after spending most of the day in the mountains, I have decided that my RTS is not a canyon carver. I have no problems with the twisties, unless I try to keep up with my buddies on their wings. Just ain't happening. It seems to me I can take most corners at about 10 over the posted speed, but more than that and I am really pulling and pushing hard. ex. 40 in a 30 mph corner. These are sharp turns and not the sweepers. No problem in the sweepers.

The cb does have very limited range as was mentioned, about a 1/4 mile on receive but much further on transmit. Also has anyone else noticed this? When it hit the tx button the music mutes (which it should) but after I am done transmitting, the music comes back on (no tx delay) but the music is muted and takes several minutes to come back up to the original volume. Does this on radio, Ipod, and Aux.

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billythekidd View Post
    Well after spending most of the day in the mountains, I have decided that my RTS is not a canyon carver. I have no problems with the twisties, unless I try to keep up with my buddies on their wings. Just ain't happening. It seems to me I can take most corners at about 10 over the posted speed, but more than that and I am really pulling and pushing hard. ex. 40 in a 30 mph corner. These are sharp turns and not the sweepers. No problem in the sweepers.

The cb does have very limited range as was mentioned, about a 1/4 mile on receive but much further on transmit. Also has anyone else noticed this? When it hit the tx button the music mutes (which it should) but after I am done transmitting, the music comes back on (no tx delay) but the music is muted and takes several minutes to come back up to the original volume. Does this on radio, Ipod, and Aux.

Willy
    Willy, I know I will be beat up for this, but my GW trike does better in curves than my RT. I did increase my front tire pressure to 18 and 30 in the rear which helps. My Motor Trike has an on board air compressor so I firm up my air shocks in the twisties which makes a difference. However, I only have 850 on the RT and 60K on the Wing.

As mentioned earlier, the dealer is going to replace my CB after he rode my RT and found the CB was basically useless. I have a feeling BPR gets their CBs and other audio equipment from a company that is not near the quality of the Clarion equipment Honda uses. On the two GWs I have had, both had outstanding audio and CBs. My present Wing (a 2002) has never been in the shop other than normal maintenance.. Everything works, every time.

I don't have the TX/music muted problem that you are having. If it is not one thing, it is another.

Spyder Garage

20 mph over on most curves in the twisties is doable for me. You might be overcontrolling--but that is something you have to determine. Take some more rides and practice on the twisties--I am guessing your control issues will get better.

Radio reception: have not used CB--but had the same experience with Cardo bike to bike. When we got out of line of sight--the reception seemed to get worse.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

A decent set of shocks, & perhaps the E-zone sway bar should fix your issues.

There's not a wing that would keep up with my old BMW, but my modded RS did darn well.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you talking about a BMW trike or two wheeler? I speak of my Gold Wing MOTOR TRIKE....vs my Spyder 2011 RT-S. I am not speaking of your ability to ride your BMW...I am refering to my ability to ride my Gold Wing Trike compared to my RT-S...only comparing my ability...and mine only....neither machine have handling modifications....out of the crate scoots.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

give it time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink

We felt this way the first few times in the mountain rydes as well. Made a few threads about it as well as we tried to improve on it.

I mean this next comment with kindness and an attempt to help, not attack or bash...

More seat time is needed for your happiness. I mean no harm... But once you find the sweet spots on your Spyder the speed and comfort in the corners is rather exhilarating.

While I think I am an open minded fella from time to time... I was wrong about how to drive this Spyder the first few months as I fought off my old "Memory". I was the issue not the bike.

Now I will say the 2010 RT shocks suck for mountain ryding two up in a spirited fashion, and I think most will agree. That said...

We learned in our training course (2.5 day course) how to properly drive these. I just "Thought" is was. I was wrong.

Once you find the needs of the Spyder and how she needs to be driven... No other trike will have any chance of getting away from you.

Now comparing the Spyder in the corners to two wheeled brothers and sisters... Yes... they will do a better job in the tighter corners no doubt. But not by much

Sorry I cannot be of any help with your CB'/Music issue. Ours is in the shop still, hopefully getting this fixed..

SpyderRyderTV

It's my thoughts that I did all that carving, twisties, full throttle etc. etc. getting to this point in my life and know that I missed something I should have seen along the way. So now I've slowed down enough that I can seen what's going by and enjoy seeing what's around me. I don't want to rush what's left now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    We felt this way the first few times in the mountain rydes as well. Made a few threads about it as well as we tried to improve on it.

I mean this next comment with kindness and an attempt to help, not attack or bash...

More seat time is needed for your happiness. I mean no harm... But once you find the sweet spots on your Spyder the speed and comfort in the corners is rather exhilarating.

While I think I am an open minded fella from time to time... I was wrong about how to drive this Spyder the first few months as I fought off my old "Memory". I was the issue not the bike.

Now I will say the 2010 RT shocks suck for mountain ryding two up in a spirited fashion, and I think most will agree. That said...

We learned in our training course (2.5 day course) how to properly drive these. I just "Thought" is was. I was wrong.

Once you find the needs of the Spyder and how she needs to be driven... No other trike will have any chance of getting away from you.

Now comparing the Spyder in the corners to two wheeled brothers and sisters... Yes... they will do a better job in the tighter corners no doubt. But not by much

Sorry I cannot be of any help with your CB'/Music issue. Ours is in the shop still, hopefully getting this fixed..

Thanks for the post, I thought yesterday that I must be doing something wrong as far as riding goes. It was just too much work. I am sure with more experience I will get to know the beast better. I have been trying things with the mute problem I am having and so far cannot come up with what setting (if it is that) could make the music mute (but not completely) for that period of time. If I don't transmit again for several minutes the volume comes back up.

As for the what I have done in the past.... Yes I have done my share of carving on two wheels, but, when I am out with the boys and they are still having fun, I do still get the urge to have some fun as well. Just because I have been a a roller coaster, doesn't mean I won't go on it again.

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I think most will agree, seat time is your friend.. when I first got my RT, after a week I was ready to go back to two wheels.. now with the DPS replaced (recall) and nothing else done except putting 2500 miles in the Texas Hill Country twisties, I am running the speed limit and slightly above on roads that I was doing 15 below and enjoying every minute of it. All I have done is adjust spring setting and tire pressures to go with our riding style... I am finally relaxed and comfortable with myself and the RT.. I have over 50 years of two wheel muscle memory to erase and re-learn so I got a lot more riding to do (tough job but somebody has to do it ).

Happy ryding...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default GW trike does better in curves ...no way...

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    Willy, I know I will be beat up for this, but my GW trike does better in curves than my RT. I did increase my front tire pressure to 18 and 30 in the rear which helps. My Motor Trike has an on board air compressor so I firm up my air shocks in the twisties which makes a difference. However, I only have 850 on the RT and 60K on the Wing.

As mentioned earlier, the dealer is going to replace my CB after he rode my RT and found the CB was basically useless. I have a feeling BPR gets their CBs and other audio equipment from a company that is not near the quality of the Clarion equipment Honda uses. On the two GWs I have had, both had outstanding audio and CBs. My present Wing (a 2002) has never been in the shop other than normal maintenance.. Everything works, every time.

I don't have the TX/music muted problem that you are having. If it is not one thing, it is another.
    Well not certain about your riding skills on RT..But in my group of riding buddies no GW trike or GW 2 Wheeler can come close to keeping up with my RT-S in curves or sweepers. You just need to get more seat time
    and gain more confidence in . But I have been riding a
    RS for 2 yrs. prior to getting a RT...

Freebob...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I rode 100 miles this morning for breakfast. We hit some twisties and the RT did quite well. As we know, it is a different animal. I am impressed with the engine and transmission, but disappointed with the "electronics". Dealer has a new CB ordered as of last Thursday.

At speeds above 40-50, I can not hear the radios (am/fm/xm) well enough to make out the words/music. My front speakers will blow your ears off so I think it is the BRP headset in my FF helmet. I am thinking of changing it out for a J&M set and see how that goes.

We hummed right along today and I got 31 mpg! I was surprised and pleased....and I leaned on the right hand several times...we run 65-75 when we can...so that went well. BR1 was happy today. Me too.

If I can do it, I plan to run 100 miles or so at 50 mph or so, short shifting and keeping the rpm's 3,500 to 4,500 and see what gas mileage I can get. I tried this several times with my Wing, but could never keep it at 50 or so. I really tried....perhaps with the Spyder after a couple of 1,000 miles or so.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    I rode 100 miles this morning for breakfast. We hit some twisties and the RT did quite well. As we know, it is a different animal. I am impressed with the engine and transmission, but disappointed with the "electronics". Dealer has a new CB ordered as of last Thursday.

At speeds above 40-50, I can not hear the radios (am/fm/xm) well enough to make out the words/music. My front speakers will blow your ears off so I think it is the BRP headset in my FF helmet. I am thinking of changing it out for a J&M set and see how that goes.

We hummed right along today and I got 31 mpg! I was surprised and pleased....and I leaned on the right hand several times...we run 65-75 when we can...so that went well. BR1 was happy today. Me t

If I can do it, I plan to run 100 miles or so at 50 mph or so, short shifting and keeping the rpm's 3,500 to 4,500 and see what gas mileage I can get. I tried this several times with my Wing, but could never keep it at 50 or so. I really tried....perhaps with the Spyder after a couple of 1,000 miles or so.

George, Not being sarcastic but maybe it's time fo a retired USAF VET like you and myself to get a VA hearing Aid...or SONY...

Freebob...
    Last edited by freebob; 04-30-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: add

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by freebob View Post
    George, Not being sarcastic but maybe it's time fo a retired USAF VET like you and myself to get a VA hearing Aid...or SONY...

Freebob...