Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Exploring Spyder RT Ownership

Hello,

I'm in the exploratory stages of owning a Spyder RT. I thought this might be something my wife and I could do together. The only motorized bike's we've ridden are scooters. Would definitely take a Spyder course, that's what we did before purchasing our boat a couple of years ago, we took a boat handling course. Just because someone can buy something doesn't mean they can operate it.

• Looking to hear from fellow RT owners if you prefer the manual or semi-auto transmission. Reason why, more pep, better mpg, engine braking, etc? If we had opted for a conventional motorcycle manual would've probably been the only option.
    • How reliable are the RT's in general. I've been reading the posts about owners issues and about their absolute delight with Spyders.
    • Does the Spyder have a 12VDC or 6VDC electrical system?
    • Access to maintenance items, LOF, air filters, etc.
    • After market GPS mounting? I've seen the RAM mounts for motorcycles.
    • What kind of tires does the RT use? They look like small car tires.

Not being a motorcyclist I guess I don't have any pre-conceived idea's how a Spyder should handle or how to operate one.

We had the opportunity to take motorcycle lessons a couple of years ago but my wife decided against it due to her surgically reconstructed ankle not being able to support the weight of a conventional motorcycle. She has always enjoyed riding on motorcycles as a passenger so I thought the Spyder would be something she could ride on her own as well. We do have some friends and family that own motorcycles.

My mechanical experience... I'm an IT / Electronics guy. When the truck needs service it goes to my mechanic. The boat I do basic maintenance, LOF, winterize, spring commissioning, plus fixing whatever non-engine related stuff that breaks, you don't want to see the list .

I've been reading the forums. Probably other things I should be asking. I created a thread in the New York forum asking about dealer experiences on Long Island.

Well thanks for your replies. Look forward to hearing your thoughts or suggestions.

John

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

You will get a lot of good technical information from the folks on this board, and they are much more informed than me, so I'll leave the tech specs to them.

However, your post caught my eye since I am a new owner as well. I looked at Spyders for a couple of years and the RT is what got me to buy. I am 46. So is my wife. We bought this so that we could do more things together as well. Our son is off to college and this is the perfect time for us to 'ryde' as everyone here says.

Again, I will leave the tech specs to the pros, but I will offer this bit of advice from a new owner......Find a good dealer and buy yourself an RT!

We love ours. I bought a new 2010 RT-Audio to get a slightly better deal, but this allows me some spending cash for many mods to come.

Best of luck.
    SteveM.

p.s. I did buy the manual shift because I used to ride the two-wheelers in the 'old days' and I just love to shift the tranny. But it is a personal preference. Ride both and you will know immediately what you like.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFox View Post
    Hello,

I'm in the exploratory stages of owning a Spyder RT. I thought this might be something my wife and I could do together. The only motorized bike's we've ridden are scooters. Would definitely take a Spyder course, that's what we did before purchasing our boat a couple of years ago, we took a boat handling course. Just because someone can buy something doesn't mean they can operate it.

• Looking to hear from fellow RT owners if you prefer the manual or semi-auto transmission. Reason why, more pep, better mpg, engine braking, etc? If we had opted for a conventional motorcycle manual would've probably been the only option.
    • How reliable are the RT's in general. I've been reading the posts about owners issues and about their absolute delight with Spyders.
    • Does the Spyder have a 12VDC or 6VDC electrical system?
    • Access to maintenance items, LOF, air filters, etc.
    • After market GPS mounting? I've seen the RAM mounts for motorcycles.
    • What kind of tires does the RT use? They look like small car tires.
    Not being a motorcyclist I guess I don't have any pre-conceived idea's how a Spyder should handle or how to operate one.

We had the opportunity to take motorcycle lessons a couple of years ago but my wife decided against it due to her surgically reconstructed ankle not being able to support the weight of a conventional motorcycle. She has always enjoyed riding on motorcycles as a passenger so I thought the Spyder would be something she could ride on her own as well. We do have some friends and family that own motorcycles.

My mechanical experience... I'm an IT / Electronics guy. When the truck needs service it goes to my mechanic. The boat I do basic maintenance, LOF, winterize, spring commissioning, plus fixing whatever non-engine related stuff that breaks, you don't want to see the list .

I've been reading the forums. Probably other things I should be asking. I created a thread in the New York forum asking about dealer experiences on Long Island.

Well thanks for your replies. Look forward to hearing your thoughts or suggestions.

John
    Just a few quick answers, from my point of view. Your results may vary.

1. Transmission: Technically the transmissions are the same, just the method of shifting differs. I prefer the manual, partly because I don't have to think about doing something different than my other 24 machines. My wife has a manual, too. Others swear by the electric shift version. test ride both and decide for yourself.

2. Reliability: Good, for the most part. Many have tens of thousands of miles on their Spyders, some in a remarkably short time. The Spyder is a complex machine, and failures can happen, but the rate is low. You will hear more about them than about the folks who have had no problems.

3. Electrical System: 12 volt, like most modern vehicles.

4. Maintenance: If you are talking about the ease of getting to these, it is not much worse than any fully faired bike. The bodywork slows you down, as do the tight quarters. The spark plugs are the worst. Oil filters are pretty easy, and the air filter somewhere in between. Be aware that there are certain maintenance tasks that the dealer is likely to have to perform...but a shop manual is available, and a handy owner can do a lot.

5. GPS Mounting: BRP has an accessory mount for certain GPS units. Kewlmetal makes a universal mount, there may also be some other aftermarket mounts. RAM mounts work, too, that's what I use.

6. Tires: The Spyder tires are rated as motorcycle tires, but they are in car sizes. Some owners have fitted auto tires as an alternative. You have to be careful on sizes and types if you do so.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Exploring Spyder RT Ownership

G'Day, John,
    Greets, but not much help, as I too am new to all this. It's 12 volts--the extent of my technical expertise. Just got a '11 RT Ltd. for the wife and 'it's different'. I'm from a M/C background and at 71+ the HD Ultra got to be too much riding 2-up. (Got rid of it, but she let me keep my Softail to follow her.) She has not driven for 20 years (artificial knees) an was able to jump on solo and do fine, enjoying it. I, on the other hand, am having trouble getting used to it (when she will let me have it<G>) as it is definitely NOT a motorcycle. Like most new vehicles, it is more computer than mechanical. For me, it will be oil change and air in the tires then off to the shop. I too read and researched and decided 'What the Hell'. You can't say it's a mistake til you try it, and others seem to like it. One thing, it is a conversation piece every time you park it. Good luck.
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

It will take 300 or so miles to get used to a Spyder - especially after two wheeled experiences.. The Spyder is fun, and you don't have to toe tap in heavy traffic or at a light - it's also designed to tow a trailer.

The RT is really fast - but no worse than a stock Hardley…. I had a RS originally, and swore by the manual trans. Picked up my RT "lightly used" and got the SE shifter in the deal. It too is different, but much faster through the gears than a manual - it's not a full auto. While it WILL downshift automatically, you must use the paddle shifter to up-shift, and the manual says to use the paddle shifter to down-shift too…

While I miss the 53mpg on my old BMW, there are too many pluses on the RT, which more than make up for the loss - and I no longer miss the two wheel ride.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default My 2 Cents

Maintenance: Oil change is fairly routine, while other items can involve a bit of fairing teardowns to get to the areas that require work. Many items do require dealer service due to diagnostic equipment requirements (BUDS)

Tires: I will be switching to car tires when the OEMs wear out.

Handling: It takes at least a few hundred miles to adjust to the handling characteristics of this machine. Once mastered it is a joy to drive and a world of fun. Safety features definitely put this machine way ahead of any motorcycle I have ever driven. In high winds you definitely get moved around a tad and it takes a while to master the handling and not overacting for the movements of the bike. The key is a light grip.

Transmission: The SE5 semi automatic transmission, for me, is a huge plus. I have driven motorcycles for over 40 years and do not miss the handlebar clutch for one second. Try them both and you can come to your own conclusion.

Braking: I adjusted immediately to the foot brake on the RT. Once again I do not ,iss the handbrake. Thought I would, but it is a non issue for me. Others have purchased an aftermarket hand brake and appear to like that add on.

Windshield: This is a great feature and it works flawlessly allowing you to adjust the height of the wind screen on the fly.

Power: The machine is heavy and not made to burn rubber off the line like an RS. It cruises well and has more than enough power to pull a trailer 2 up. Top end speed that I have attained is 102 mph. It tracks well at any speed.

Gas mileage: At regular speeds and wind conditions you should attain around 30 mpg. Run it at 70 mph and you will find that the tank drains fast. Expect to be filling up every 150 miles or so.

Comfort: This is a personal thing and most people add a few creature comforts to their ride. I would recommend a driver backrest if you will be doing a fair amount of touring, but other than that the seat is comfortable and the riding position is comfortable for me.

Overall: A very safe and comfortable ride for both driver and passenger. A great open air touring machine.

Good luck on your purchasing process. It is a complex technology and if you have the opportunity to take demo rides you will find out within a very short time if the fun factor makes your heart race.

Well I had better run. Have to drive through the rain to make it to Cuba this afternoon.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi John!
    Welcome aboard! There's tons of folks here who can answer your questions way better thanI... But I'll tell you that my Missus and I LOVE our RT A&C! We've got the SE-5 transmssion in oursnad have found it to be very easy to operate. I've even got her thinking about getting her motorcycle license so that she can sit up front...
    (Maybe that's not a good idea...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Wink

Looks to me like you have all the answers to your questions. I will just add my $.02...

The Spyder is literally alone in the world. There is nothing like it. It is a design from the ground up, not an adapted concoction. The safety features along make it stand apart from the rest of the biking world.

Add to the the two tires up front and well. You have the perfect combination.

My wife is actually the one that picked the RT-S last year. We also went to an RS-S this year. And had it pretty well tricked out, but it was not meant to be. Her Disability would not allow her to ryde longer than 40 minutes and then she was in enough pain for the next few days that she refused to ryde. The angle of the seating did it in for her.

So now we are back on an RT-S and we did over 300 miles last weekend .

Without a doubt I would pick the SE5. I am a diehard manual clutch kind of guy. Had to get the SE5 for my wife, and am pretty much set on every Spyder we will ever own will be having the SE5. It is smooth, fast, and keeps me out of trouble

Regardless of what you choose, there are products that are bullet proof and those that are not. For a vehicle this new I for one am very impressed on just how well built these Spyders are. And this is coming from a guy who had issues during the first 600 miles on our first RT-S.

If I was you. One item I would add to your list, and as far as I am concerned is actually the most critical item... Would be the dealer. Who and where. I would be willing to bet our Spyder on the fact that at least 25% of every issue you have read about a Spyder was actually Dealer related. From bad diagnosis, failed/faulty repairs, to warranty coverage issues because they did not know the bike well enough to recognize the real cause, to piss poor Pre-Delivery setups.

This is not to say a lot of dealers are bad. Just enough are inexperienced with the Spyders that it is a good idea to buy and get service from a known dealership with a good track record. This issue will shrink in numbers every year (HUGE improvements this year alone) but it is still an important factor non the less.

Keep in mind as well, there are 20k Spyder (At least) on the roads today. And only a small number of those owners are here. Even smaller numbers are the amount of owners having issues. Most are out ryding and do not have time to mess with the internet

Good luck and...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thank you for your replies

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions, good stuff. Great owners community. Hope to see you on the open road.

John

Spyder Garage

We (wife and I) are recent empty nesters as well....daughter off to college. I see you mention your interest in the Spyder as something for you and your wife.

I've had 2wheels for our entire marriege and could count on my fingers the number of times my wife has wanted to ride. When I dragged her to look at the RT...she said "we need one of these". It has gotten us through the first year of college (mind on other things)...she calls me at work "come home early so we can go ryde".

Best purchase I ever made !

Spyder Bytes: Kury ISO Grips, GL1500 Windshield Vent w/ accent, Heel-Toe Shifter(inspectorgadget), HMT Brake Light, 12v outlet in frunk, GPS-Phone mount w/ case(techmounts.com), seat seal, Right Side Grill Covers(customdynamics.com), Fan Can10(ISCIrides.com), CAT Shields(SpyderPops.com), Elka Shocks, PressurePro TPMS, Cobra CB....and of course Cup Holders(mycupholders.com)

Spyder Garage

There is not much I can add to the above. Your mechanical questions have been answered as well as some other information.

I have had 3 spyders, a 2008 GS, a 2009 RS, and a 2010 RTS. Combined mileage on the 3 is slightly over 55,000 miles. Mechanical issues have been pretty much zero. Computer crashed on the 2009 at 1500 miles--but after that--20K additional trouble free miles.

I have ridden two-wheelers since 1965. When Spyder came out in 2008--I had to have one. Got the second one to hit Alaska. Have had both the manual (2008) and got one of the first semi auto (2009). When RTS came out in 2010 also got that in semi auto.

Advice about dealers is very important. Cheapest is usually not equal to best. Search the threads--and you will find some good dealers and some not so good when it comes to mechanical issues and customer service.

You should test drive both versions and see what you like best. There is a learning curve of 200-500 miles because the Spyder is very different from two wheels.

Good luck in your search for the right Spyder for you. Let the site know what you decide.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red