Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Maybe moving to a Spyder RS???

Hi! Some of you are familiar faces, some are not, but I've come to solicit some input.

We have a 1997 Honda Valkyrie that we have been tossing around the idea of triking for me...and we've also looked at the Spyders. Money is not an issue, it's more of style, safety, features and comfort decision. We ride anywhere from a few hundred miles on a weekend to a bike vacation of 2,000+ miles.

Did a test ride of the RT last Fall. It was nice, not really "me" and the ride was, well, interesting, different but not in a bad way. I have been riding 2 wheels for the past 8 years and I realize either bike is going to take some time to get used to.

I do plan to ride an RS this spring (when it stops raining!) to take another assessment of the Spyder. I think the seating position will be better for me and I like the sportier look of the bike.

It will primarily be my ride however I'm sure we'll do some 2-up riding as well.

Questions - we have an Escapade trailer. Have you all had any issues in getting other equipment compatible with the Spyder? Of course, the dealer wanted us to buy the matching trailer... No issues with us doing a little electrical work (on the trailer), just wanted to hear any horror stories.

Seems to be some recalls with these bikes. Anything serious that I should be aware or concerned about?

Anything that we're missing? Any/all comments, suggestions and input are welcome.

TIA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to our little slice of the universe, Tia!
    You've landed in the right place and we'll try to answer whatever questions you have...
    Two wheels up front vs two wheels out back... No question about this one; The Spyders handle way better than any conventional trike!
    "Conventionals" will often tend to push the front wheel if cornering speeds get a bit too frisky... (Understeer...)
    As far as recalls; Just about anything built in recent years has had some sort of recall on initial models... The spyders are packed with technology, so that makes for more places for the "teething pains" to hide! BRP is doing a pretty good job of catching and fixing them now, so I think (Hope!) that they're no longer going to be an issue...
    Trailers... I don't have one, and there are lots of folks here who are in a much better position to tell you what they've learned about them..
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I've owned three Valks, and loved every one of them. Before I bought my first Spyder, I was headed down that same path, At that time, my '01 Valk only had 11K on the clock (2009) - I had found a show wannabe the year before, and couldn't pass it up.

I decided to take the trike & hack MSW course in Hood River, and, following that, decided that triking the Valk was out of the question - not to mention that there's no way to get reverse on a Valk trike - how are your knees?

A friend mentioned the Spyder, and I went for a test drive (note:I had ridden ATVs for decades too). I was bitten - had to go 180 miles away to get a deal I could live with, & the RT wasn't an option then. Bought my RS, and enjoyed it for a year, then switched to an RT S.

It WILL take 300+ miles to adjust to the Spyder, but you'll not regret it.

My Valks are now gone - yes, I sometimes miss them, until I roll the RT out.

You'll find lots of answers to any questions you may have on this forum.

Ride safe.
    Last edited by Dragonrider; 04-26-2011 at 08:43 AM.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

BTW, the Escapade will work just fine with the Spyder. You won't know it's there. The Spyder was made to pull a trailer..
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Welcome to our little slice of the universe, Tia!
    You've landed in the right place and we'll try to answer whatever questions you have...
    Two wheels up front vs two wheels out back... No question about this one; The Spyders handle way better than any conventional trike!
    "Conventionals" will often tend to push the front wheel if cornering speeds get a bit too frisky... (Understeer...)
    As far as recalls; Just about anything built in recent years has had some sort of recall on initial models... The spyders are packed with technology, so that makes for more places for the "teething pains" to hide! BRP is doing a pretty good job of catching and fixing them now, so I think (Hope!) that they're no longer going to be an issue...
    Trailers... I don't have one, and there are lots of folks here who are in a much better position to tell you what they've learned about them..
    Thanks for the welcome and the input. Much appreciated!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I've owned three Valks, and loved every one of them. Before I bought my first Spyder, I was headed down that same path, At that time, my '01 Valk only had 11K on the clock (2009) - I had found a show wannabe the year before, and couldn't pass it up.

I decided to take the trike & hack MSW course in Hood River, and, following that, decided that triking the Valk was out of the question - not to mention that there's no way to get reverse on a Valk trike - how are your knees?

A friend mentioned the Spyder, and I went for a test drive (note:I had ridden ATVs for decades too). I was bitten - had to go 180 miles away to get a deal I could live with, & the RT wasn't an option then. Bought my RS, and enjoyed it for a year, then switched to an RT S.

It WILL take 300+ miles to adjust to the Spyder, but you'll not regret it.

My Valks are now gone - yes, I sometimes miss them, until I roll the RT out.

You'll find lots of answers to any questions you may have on this forum.

Ride safe.
    Thanks for the input and feedback. Good to know about that adjustment period as well.

We bought an ATV last year and I took to it like a duck to water - that's what spurred our re-interest in Spyders.

And, yes, reverse on a Valkyrie is manual. LOL I'm 44 so the knees are still in good shape & I have long enough legs.

Great to know that the Escapade will work too! Hated the thought of buying another trailer. Painting, we can deal with.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

before we bought our spyder last fall we test drove an Rs. I like the looks of the RS but for long distance travelling and rider comfort we ended up buying the RT-S. We both really liked the comfort of the Rt and I liked the upright riding position and my wife likes having the comfortable seat. We are new to triking as we have never owned a bike before. I hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    before we bought our spyder last fall we test drove an Rs. I like the looks of the RS but for long distance travelling and rider comfort we ended up buying the RT-S. We both really liked the comfort of the Rt and I liked the upright riding position and my wife likes having the comfortable seat. We are new to triking as we have never owned a bike before. I hope this helps.
    Thanks! We tried the RT but I just didn't like the upright seating position. LOL I'm used to leaning slightly forward on my Shadow, so it's very comfortable for me. Shorter reach too, so more control, which I want.

Welcome to riding! You'll meet the greatest folks out on the open road. We've made some lifelong friendships and it was riding that brought us together.

arntufun

IMO the RS is the best looking Spyder anyway. My wife and I, take long trips on ours and it is NOT as bad as some people say in regards of comfort. It is not a Lazy Boy recliner like the RT, but it won't leave you sore the next day like some bikes I have been on. Good luck with your choice, but it seems from what you are saying the RS would be a perfect fit for you.
    To make it way more attractive, rip off the back fender and slap a aftermarket exhaust pipe on there. Talk about a wicked cool look and sound. YEEEEEE HAAAAA !!!

Spyder Garage

Wink

The RT is not for the sport type. It is clear you have done your homework

The RS-S is a blast.

I will say this. If you do decide to get an RS and would like to get the more out of it in the way of a "Sportier" ryde, may I suggest the following changes...

1. Purchase new or used 2010 RT front shocks and springs. New they run around $300 for everything. Talk about fun factor with a huge amount of adjust-ability
    2. Purchase the Two Brother Top Tune Kit. OMG this makes the Rotax engine snappy!!! $340
    3. Exhaust of your choice. Personally I would put no less than a Hindle, but prefer the Two Brothers DUAL exhaust sound. $500-$1100
    4. ISO grips $75

We had a 2011 RS-S. In stock form these babies are some serious fun. But and man oh man once I got all the new power toys on her... Totally new bike in every way. I could drop from 4th gear to third (Around 6k rpms) grab the throttle at the same time and the rear tire would talk to me... (Insert Homer Simpson drooling sounds here). Ripped through corners and was just simply a blast to ryde!

Sadly or thankfully (Depends on what end of the thoughts we are on) We traded it in on another RT-S because the angle was to much for my wife and her disability. Sad day, but happy we can still ryde together

Good luck with your choices!!
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    IMO the RS is the best looking Spyder anyway. My wife and I, take long trips on ours and it is NOT as bad as some people say in regards of comfort. It is not a Lazy Boy recliner like the RT, but it won't leave you sore the next day like some bikes I have been on. Good luck with your choice, but it seems from what you are saying the RS would be a perfect fit for you.
    To make it way more attractive, rip off the back fender and slap a aftermarket exhaust pipe on there. Talk about a wicked cool look and sound. YEEEEEE HAAAAA !!!
    Thanks for the feedback! I haven't even purchased yet and you've already got me looking at mods.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    The RT is not for the sport type. It is clear you have done your homework

The RS-S is a blast.

Thanks! The RT is very, very nice, just not my cup of tea....yet. Maybe someday.

Understand your choices completely. We've did a similar "switch" with 2-wheelers but wasn't due to disability, it was due to my numb hiney. LOL And having the ability to ride with your SO is greatest!

Sounds like I need to find your old RS. Thanks for the tips. Hubby will be, ummm,

Glad I posted out here, now I'm really looking forward to riding RS.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Wanda View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! I haven't even purchased yet and you've already got me looking at mods.
    See... You're in trouble already!! ...And we're all glad to help out!

Spyder Garage

See... You're in trouble already!! ...And we're all glad to help out!
    Yeah, ya'll are baddd....

Been through this before with motorcycles. I. Can. Resist.

Spyder Garage

Looks like they got all your questions covered above. I have had both the RS and RTS models. I lean towards the big touring bike with comfort features--due to my back condition. Both models are great fun and have their advantages. You might want to test drive again--both models just to make sure.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Wink

Thanks! The RT is very, very nice, just not my cup of tea....yet. Maybe someday.

Understand your choices completely. We've did a similar "switch" with 2-wheelers but wasn't due to disability, it was due to my numb hiney. LOL And having the ability to ride with your SO is greatest!

Sounds like I need to find your old RS. Thanks for the tips. Hubby will be, ummm,

Glad I posted out here, now I'm really looking forward to riding RS.

Whatever you do... DO NOT click this link then... Over $4k in add ons selling for less than new (2011 RS-S SE5)... Clem's Enumclaw Powersports
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Been through this before with motorcycles. I. Can. Resist.
    Nice try... But you really need to think of any new bike (or ATV or snowmobile, or... ) as an unfinished work of art waiting for YOUR signature!
    Face it... your expendable income has been expended!

Spyder Garage

Then again you could do as we did and get one of each.

Have a 2010 RT & 2010 RS.

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...and you thought I was bad??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yfactor View Post
    Then again you could do as we did and get one of each.

Have a 2010 RT & 2010 RS.

YOU laugh...hubby mentioned this over the weekend.

But I do plan to test ride both again, I want to find what's right for me.

Spyder Garage

Nice try... But you really need to think of any new bike (or ATV or snowmobile, or... ) as an unfinished work of art waiting for YOUR signature!
    Face it... your expendable income has been expended!

Yeah, yeah, yeah...LOL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That hole is only getting deeper...
    Since you're going to take another spin on both models... The seating on the RS models can be tinkered with by adding a riser to the bars, getting a different height windshield, and taking a good look at BRP's comfort seat...
    That would be for if you wanted something a bit more in bertween the "Sporty" RS, and the "Not-So" RT...

Spyder Garage

Since you're going to take another spin on both models... The seating on the RS models can be tinkered with by adding a riser to the bars, getting a different height windshield, and taking a good look at BRP's comfort seat...
    That would be for if you wanted something a bit more in bertween the "Sporty" RS, and the "Not-So" RT...
    Good to know and I'll look into that when we visit the dealership. A cross between the two would be perfect. I like some of the "creature comforts" on the RT but like the versatility of the RS - adding/removing bags, backrest, etc.

Salesman is going to hate me. LOL

Spyder Garage

Very good points, Bob. I was going to mention that there are ways to make the RS more comfortable. A very simple 2" riser, back rest and a touring windshield and our RS-S is so much more comfortable we can ride all day. Nothing like the RT but very nice! I have done nothing comfort wise to Phantom 14; that is just NOT who 14 is! And I like it that way. As comfortable as the RT is, and it... is...comfortable... it's not my style. But that is just me.

As far as the trailer goes, many folks have all kinds of rigs out here, so you are certainly not limited to BRP only in that regard, that is for sure! Good luck on your search, and welcome to Spyderlovers!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

i bought an '11 RS-S and love it...but the seat is not the most comfortable.
    for my current needs it is great, but for now i really don't want to spend more than about 90 minutes on her.
    now, part of that may be me being away from riding so long and just getting used to it again. part of it is surely my weight (almost 300 lbs.).
    you may want to consider the comfort seat of a Corbin.
    once i fully decide on whether to add a riser (already have the BRP 1") to get a better angle i am then going to tackle which windshield i really prefer (have the sport - standard on the RS) over the sport/touring. probably going to a CalSci Tinted Shorty. bigger than s[port/touring, but not a TRUE touring windshield so i will still get plenty of air.
    just remember: BRP has 3 different windshields so check those out too to see which fits more of the style/ryde you want.
    KIP
    2011 RS-S