Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hands falling asleep

Help, I am a beginner, I bought my Little Red RS Spyder back in October. My husband and I have been riding short little runs around the Knoxville/Maryville area. I am getting better with each ride, but I am having a hard time with my finger tips going numb. I have tried different gloves and different hand postions, but nothing seems to be helping. Any ideas or suggtions? We are talking about putting the raisers on the handle bars or changing the handle bars completely. Does anyone out there have the same problems and what did you do to correct it?

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

if you have the original bars and are leaning forward with all your weight on you hands, you may want to consider risers...these will help you sit in a more upright position

also, you may want to consider a throttle lock, so that you can rest your right hand periodically...

there is also some kind of "paddle" device that fits on your throttle so that you don't have to grip the throttle so tight...

i'm sure someone can be more specific than I....maybe search the threads under throttle and see what you can see....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by little red View Post
    Help, I am a beginner, I bought my Little Red RS Spyder back in October. My husband and I have been riding short little runs around the Knoxville/Maryville area. I am getting better with each ride, but I am having a hard time with my finger tips going numb. I have tried different gloves and different hand postions, but nothing seems to be helping. Any ideas or suggtions? We are talking about putting the raisers on the handle bars or changing the handle bars completely. Does anyone out there have the same problems and what did you do to correct it?
    & I have neck issues and when I sat on an RS my hands would go numb but when I took an Rt out for a test ride my hands were fine. So needless to say we bought an RT . I think it is the position with weight on your hands and wrists. I would think that putting risers on your handle bars to make you sit more upright and also make sure that you are not gripping the handlebars too tight would help you . This site has lots of experience and great advice so you have come to the right place for help.

SpyderRyderTV

Little Red, it's hard to diagnose the problem without seeing your grip, but I'd say that if you do not have this problem with the hands and fingers any other time that you have death grip fingers. Most people do not know their doing it but if you grip the grips to tight the finger tips have no blood flow/circulation and the hands will suffer too. As I said most people with this problem think that their relaxed. Riders think mentally that they have more control with a strong grip, but not so. I think if you will give a good effort to relax your grip and only apply pressure on the outside bar/grip to steer into the curves and relax on the straights your hands and fingers will feel normal again. Ride safe
    Last edited by SpyderRyderTV; 04-24-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

You don't mention what year. We ended up putting the handlebar weights in both our 2008 GS and 2009 RS. The numbing sensation went away. Don't recall people discussing the issue on 2010 or 2011 models--but I may be wrong on that. Did not need them on the 2010 RTS.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone, this is great information.

Akspyderman-I own a 2010 RS, and according to my husband, he thinks the numbness is being caused by the vibration. He rode it last night and said he had the same problem.
    Hesstx-Sorry to not be up to speed on all the goodies for the bikes, but what are Grip puppies and where can I get them?

Spyder Garage

The little paddle thingy is called a cramp buster. sold on ebay and many cycle shops for around $10
    Happier Spyder Owner

Fairly happy 08 YELLOW SE5

Spyder Garage

Being new to riding you may be simply gripping the handle bars to tight, release your grip a little you really don't have to hold on so tight! It all comes in time.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I hear alot of good things about these too.
    http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/

Spyder Garage

I agree with risers, good gloves, relaxing your grip and bar end weights. I did all these things and improved the numbness in my hands tremendously. I'm just beginning to look at throttle control help. I like the Kuryakyn Universal Throttle Boss as opposed to the Crampbuster. It's smaller and less obtrusive. Rubber, so your palm grips it better. No, I have not gotten one yet. But have asked for advice on a motorcycle forum I belong to. Lots of years of experience there. The concensus was things can catch more easily on the Crampbuster and cause unintended acceleration. NOT good, especially for a beginner!!!

I went with the Heli Bar riser, as that was what my dealer was pushing. Lots of choices of risers out there. Look at our sponsors on the Home Page!!
    Marilyn

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Carpal Tunnel Surgery fixed my problem

I've had this problem for years and it finally got to the point I had to get it fixed...doctor sent me for a "Carpal Tunnel Test" and my right hand was the worst...I now have them both fixed and NO more falling asleep...

Its a simple procedure, stitches out in 2 weeks, very little pain, about like a fish hook stuck in your hand...

larryd

Spyder Garage

Default Grip Puppies

I know I'm riding an RT, but I experienced similar sensations with the stock grips. They were much reduced after the foam grips were added. SpyderPops has them.

Lin

http://spyderpops.com/foam-grips-for-all-spyders/
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2012 RS for 3 years. Had the same problem in my Right hand still have it after buying a F3. For the RS, tried the handlebar weights and tried to change my grip, etc. Nothing worked. Ended up installing a Throttlemeister. Easy install. Sort of a manual cruise control. made the world of difference.