Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
    Spyder Garage

and a huge on reaching the end of your journey. That is 11,000 miles you will never forget.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Almost 11K?

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I bet you are glad to be home. I like the raccoon look you wear it well! We have thoroughly enjoyed riding along with you both on this trip your pictures and stories were amazing. I'm exhausted from a week on the road so I'm sure you must be dead tired and ready to stay put for a few days rest.

We met two couples from West Virginia yesterday at our hotel in Indianapolis they were on the 2nd day of their 5 1/2 week trip to Alaska. They were on Gold Wings and they had really big tent camper type trailers.
    Its great to sleep in your own bed after so long. We have a few aches from sitting in the saddle day after day, but they should fade away soon. Yup! We're going to stay put for a while.

The Wingers are smart to take tent camper trailers. There are areas along the road where the accommodations are $$$$, and not all that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderwoman View Post
    Yazz.

Its been a great ride!!!!

Thanks for sharing and a welcome home to you and hubby!
    Glad you were on the ride with us!

And a big Thank You for the welcome home.

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    Joy,
    So glad you are home safe and sound. Thank you for sharing your adventure with us, it has been a pleasure to read it and what wonderful photos. That is a trip of a lifetime not only for you but for us as fellow SpyderLovers who shared with you in spirit. Can't wait to meet you again one day.
    This Was a trip of a lifetime for us! Glad we did it, but don't think any more epic adventures are in the near future. It was a pleasure sharing it with Y'all.

Somehow, I know we'll meet again...

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Cat View Post

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!
    Might be time for a good long soak in a hot tub!!!!

Rest well road warriors and pleasant dreams
    Glad you were riding with us!

We slept very well indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Thanks for the ride. Sharing your adventures with us was awesome.

Glad you and Jeff made it home safe.

Any plans yet for next years ride?
    It was great meeting Y'all! You took us to neat places we never would have seen. Thank You!!

Going to recover from this adventure and try not to think about another road trip for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by glynnk View Post
    Joy/Jeff---Glad you guys made it back home safe and sound. Enjoyed checking your posts almost daily. Report and pics were just super. You guys made all the rest of us terribly jealous!

Glynnk
    Glad you enjoyed the ride!

Hubby gets full credit for the pictures. I just told what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Joy/Jeff, what an amazing adventure! Thanks for taking us all along, via your excellent photos and narrative. We did miss you at the BBQ and Maggie Valley, but we all understood and applauded your choice of trips. Glad you made it home safe and sound.
    Sad we missed the BBQ and Maggie Valley too. Could have finally met Mrs. NancysToy. There's always next year!

Thanks for being on the ride with us!

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    and a huge on reaching the end of your journey. That is 11,000 miles you will never forget.
    Enjoyed every minute of the journey. Through the rain, wind, heat, elk...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing your great ride with all of us - it made for a group ride, where you didn't have to put up with dealing with other riders!! Best of all worlds for everyone!

I've always found that having one or two other bikes on a long ride is, by far, the best way to tour - having any more, adds too many issues and diminishes the pleasure of the trip. (JMHO)

Glad you're home safe.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Jeff & Joy I know your glad to be HOME. Rest well & look forward to meeting you again some day.
    48 down.

Spyder Garage

Default Road Stories...

A lot of things happen on the road. Heard so many stories from so many people. Some funny, some sad, some very touching, some things need to stay on the road.

The traveling tire

We were going to go up the Dalton Highway. All we had to do was get good information and plan accordingly. Talked to a Spyder Dealership in Alaska and he had never heard about a Spyder making it over the road. "You don't have enough clearance." "There's snow on the top of the mountains. Spyders don't do good in the snow."

O.k., I know Spyders can go in the snow. Just need the right tire. Seth helped me out getting the right tire, and it got shipped to family in Alaska. Family was a bit alarmed that only one tire showed up. LOL

One Alaskan Dealership wouldn't put the tire on, the other Dealership said they'd give it a try. Turns out they wouldn't put it on either, but we were in the door and Spydee needed an oil change and new tires all round. Arggg!

Was very glad to see no snow of the roads! So... the tire is now back in Cypress.

"No Breakfast for You!"

We were going through the Yukon where the accommodations are few and far between. So you get what you get and be grateful.

Everyone was sitting down for breakfast. Odd thing is, only half of a group would get their food, and the other half wouldn't. Some people waited over an hour and no service.

As we were leaving, more people were complaining to the front desk about waiting over an hour for a menu. She smiled and said "So sorry."

Guess if you're the only restaurant in over a hundred miles...

The Dalton Highway

Just want to clear up some myths about the Highway. From the start mostly to Coldfoot, its paved. The frost heaves do a number on the pavement though.
    ---
    Heard horror stories about the truckers between Coldfoot and Deadhorse. "They try to run you off the road." "Watch out for the trucks spitting gravel at you." yadda yadda...

Not true! The truckers would slow down if they could, and move over as far as they could when we passed each other. There was always a wave from the driver. Never did get a rock thrown our way.

When we were pulled off the road with Nanny was acting up, a trucker slowed way down and tooted his horn. He didn't speed back up till we waved and gave him the thumbs-up sign. They are the guardians of the road.
    ---
    We were tooling on down the road by Finger Mountain and decided take some pictures. As we were getting ready to leave... horrors of horrors... one of Hubbies hard bags was gone! It was the one with My electric underwear in it!! He jumped back on his bike and went screaming back down the road looking for the errant bag.

As Hubby was riding along, a RV started flashing his lights and honking. The RV driver had found the bag in the middle of the road, picked it up and watched for a bike missing a bag. Lucky he was going in the right direction! We became good friends and met them at the gas stations for the next couple of days.
    ---
    This is the sort of story best told after we got home...

Y'all have heard about the license plate screws rattling loose. Been there, done that and have zip-tied on my license plate for years. Never had a problem after that.

Remember how muddy Spydee got doing the Dalton Highway? We were coming back down and had stopped to get a picture of the Dalton Highway sign. I remarked how the mud was cracking off Hubby's license plate. Looked at the rear of Spydee to see if the mud was coming off her plate, and all we saw were the velcro rounds poking through the mud. The plate was Gone! Holey Moley! I have to go through customs getting into Canada and again getting back into the lower 48. Spydee's license plate got a run through getting into Alaska! I'm going to jail...

Well, we made it home with no dramas. Maybe it was that creepy guy asking the usual questions? Would like to think the Spydee's license plate is hanging on a wall somewhere in Coldfoot.

Best conversation yet!

We just got back down the Dalton, we're in Fairbanks at a store buying some stuff before we checked into a hotel. We looked a bit rough and the bikes were in their muddy glory.

"Where'd you come from?"
    "Deadhorse."
    "Where you going"
    "Texas."
    "Wow."
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...

Spyder Garage

Joy & Jeff I can't thank or congratulate you two enough for the great journal of your ryde and the accomplishment of a lifetime. My jealousy has be replaced now with a deep admiration of your outstanding dedication.

Welcome home and Thanks for the Ryde

Jim
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Thanks for sharing your great ride with all of us - it made for a group ride, where you didn't have to put up with dealing with other riders!! Best of all worlds for everyone!

I've always found that having one or two other bikes on a long ride is, by far, the best way to tour - having any more, adds too many issues and diminishes the pleasure of the trip. (JMHO)

Glad you're home safe.
    Over the years, we've seen packs of ten or more riders on road trips. Usually one or more are eating the fuzzy end of the lolly-pop. Not fun!

Hubby and I are riding buddies. He's the navigator and I'm the pace setter. Together we're a great team and like it that way.

This has been a fun group ride! Always knew Y'all were along with us.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW View Post
    Jeff & Joy I know your glad to be HOME. Rest well & look forward to meeting you again some day.
    Thanks so much for all the good info! We used the Spot every night to tell Son where we were and that we were safe. It was peace of mind for all of us.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Quote Originally Posted by jedd View Post
    Joy & Jeff I can't thank or congratulate you two enough for the great journal of your ryde and the accomplishment of a lifetime. My jealousy has be replaced now with a deep admiration of your outstanding dedication.

Welcome home and Thanks for the Ryde

Jim
    We've always loved our road trips! Just decided to stretch our wings a little this time.

Thanks for the Welcome Home. It was nice to have you on the Ryde!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Well now that you guys are home safe and sound I'll have to go back to reading my girlfriends blog about living on their sailboat. I'll miss reading your story and looking at all the great pictures. Thanks for sharing your trip with all of us.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Maybe your plate is nailed to a post at the sign post forest in Watson Lake!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Well now that you guys are home safe and sound I'll have to go back to reading my girlfriends blog about living on their sailboat. I'll miss reading your story and looking at all the great pictures. Thanks for sharing your trip with all of us.
    You can always re-read the road trip?

Thanks for being a part of our ride!

Quote Originally Posted by waytootall67 View Post
    Maybe your plate is nailed to a post at the sign post forest in Watson Lake!

When we got to the sign post forest, we though long and hard about leaving something nailed up there. The fact of the matter is, I needed at least a trailer license plate to make me look semi-official.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...

Spyder Garage

We made a 15k mi road trip from FL to Alaska & back with a Truck & 5thWh Camper in 1999 and your Road stories bring back a lot of memories.
    I sure would like to do it on a Spyder now...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    We made a 15k mi road trip from FL to Alaska & back with a Truck & 5thWh Camper in 1999 and your Road stories bring back a lot of memories.
    I sure would like to do it on a Spyder now...
    From Florida and back! Wow!! Bet we traveled alot of the same roads up north.

Its a whole different view on a Spyder. Think you'll like it!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...

Spyder Garage

To Joy and Jeff
    Who knew we had such "famous" neighbors right next door (Wagon Wheel) at Spyderfest! Thanks for all the pics and stories...it was great following along all these weeks...Welcome Home
    Rick and Amy
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

So happy to hear you arrived home safe and sound but so sad that the trip has ended! I enjoyed reading about your trip every night! You had some fabulous stories to tell! I also loved seeing your pictures and lived the trip through both of you. What a fantastic experience! Thank you so much for taking us on your journey through your posts here. So many of us have loved reading every word!!!

Spyder Garage

Welcome home--- to heat central!!

I like what someone said ( one thing Tapatalk doesn't allow is seeing other posts while you are posting so I forget who said it).....
    Via your posts we all were permitted to RYDE along with you. We hope we were all polite company. I know we were like the readers of Will Rogers column from years gone by, waiting each day for news about your newest adventures!!
    Go to bed for a couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yazz,

Having driven the Al-Can(in a Jeep Sport) (2x dn, 1x up) I enjoyed your travels. Spent four days in Watson Lake waiting for a part (only to have the wrong one ordered/delivered/installed). Got to Fort St. John and had correct part installed. Second time, had to have tire and tie-rod replaced in Edmonton.

Would still go back a dryve/ryde it again. The beauty of scenery, the wildlife observed and the colours should be experienced by all.

Thank you and yours for helping us (SWMBO and I) re-experience the venture.
    Last edited by Yol Bolsun; 06-23-2011 at 10:48 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for taking us along on your great journey. The pictures were great as was the narrative. Welcome home.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Default Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Yol Bolsun View Post
    Yazz,

Having driven the Al-Can(in a Jeep Sport) (2x dn, 1x up) I enjoyed your travels. Spent four days in Watson Lake waiting for a part (only to have the wrong one ordered/delivered/installed). Got to Fort St. John and had correct part installed. Second time, had to have tire and tie-rod replaced in Edmonton.

Would still go back a dryve/ryde it again. The beauty of scenery, the wildlife observed and the colours should be experienced by all.

I took the plunge and went from Ohio to Alaska and back on my Harley Sportster back in 2007. I loved seeing/hearing lots of familiar sites and sounds. Watson Lake, Ft. St. John, Whitehorse are all familiar to me. Keith, I would love to go back and am thinking about doing it on my Spyder this time. Maybe we should discuss it.
    I missed you at Maggie Valley. I saw your scoot but I never saw you.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CanAm-Y View Post
    To Joy and Jeff
    Who knew we had such "famous" neighbors right next door (Wagon Wheel) at Spyderfest! Thanks for all the pics and stories...it was great following along all these weeks...Welcome Home
    Rick and Amy
    There were many Spyder celebrities at Spyderfest. It was nice getting to meet with Y'all!

Thanks for going on the ride with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida girl View Post
    So happy to hear you arrived home safe and sound but so sad that the trip has ended! I enjoyed reading about your trip every night! You had some fabulous stories to tell! I also loved seeing your pictures and lived the trip through both of you. What a fantastic experience! Thank you so much for taking us on your journey through your posts here. So many of us have loved reading every word!!!
    I'm kinda sad the ride is over too. But Hubby has to get back to work.

We always knew we weren't alone on this ride. Y'all were with us too!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Welcome home--- to heat central!!

I like what someone said ( one thing Tapatalk doesn't allow is seeing other posts while you are posting so I forget who said it).....
    Via your posts we all were permitted to RYDE along with you. We hope we were all polite company. I know we were like the readers of Will Rogers column from years gone by, waiting each day for news about your newest adventures!!
    Go to bed for a couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk
    Oh geeze, that was one Hot day!

Just want to put in here that in our neck of the woods it didn't rain the whole time we were on the road. The day after we got home, there was a long soaking rain. We like to think we brought the rain home with us!

Y'all are great riding buddies! Best group road trip ever!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yol Bolsun View Post
    Yazz,

Watson Lake would be a great place for some down days! Could have spent a day at least wandering around in the Forest of Signs.

The Al-Can is a road we would love to do again. The views are totally different on a Spyder.

Glad we could stir up great memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    Thanks for taking us along on your great journey. The pictures were great as was the narrative. Welcome home.
    Happy you were on the ride with us! Hubby has turned into quite the photographer.

Thanks for the welcome home!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Great following your journey and to meet and chat w/you in Bellingham. Some adventure you had.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1stfan View Post
    Great following your journey and to meet and chat w/you in Bellingham. Some adventure you had.
    It was so wild crossing paths on the street like that! It was a real pleasure getting to meeting you!

You were part of our adventure too.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just finished reading all 16 pages of your AK trip. Well done and well documented. I can't say any more than the superlatives already heaped upon you.

One nagging question -- did you ever find out the cause of the belt problem? Bearings? All the dust and dirt you went through?

Great adventure -- keep up the good work!

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy_100 View Post
    Just finished reading all 16 pages of your AK trip. Well done and well documented. I can't say any more than the superlatives already heaped upon you.

One nagging question -- did you ever find out the cause of the belt problem? Bearings? All the dust and dirt you went through?

Great adventure -- keep up the good work!
    Good question! When we got to the Dealership in Calgary, first thing they said was bad bearings or a rock. After looking at the damaged belt, they decided it wasn't a rock. No cuts on the band of the belt. Also SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard had been installed before the trip.

Got back to Texas and took Spydee in for her 24k. Told them about the stripped belt and take a careful look at the bearings. The bearing were good.

Only thing left is to consider pilot error. I'm an aggressive ryder. Loved cutting the curves going up and down the mountains pulling the trailer. Caught good air going through the frost heaves outside of Deception Bay. Going up the Dalton, ground up gravel covered hills that felt almost vertical, also went over wash-board sections that made my gut ache. Put Spydee through her paces and then some.

The fact that the only real issue on the trip was the belt is a plus in my book. BRP was very gracious in warranting the belt.

Still finding rocks in the darnedest places...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    The fact that the only real issue on the trip was the belt is a plus in my book. BRP was very gracious in warranting the belt.

Still finding rocks in the darnedest places...
    Couldn't agree more. Thanks for the response. I know all about the rocks. I rode thru a "grasshopper" storm in Nevada on my 'Wing. Two years later I was still pulling grasshoppers out of nooks and crannies. Some well fried ones, too.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

I just finished re-reading this travel blog from Yazz and their trip from Texas to Alaska and beyond. This is one of the best blogs I have seen on Spyder Lovers. The pictures are totally worth seeing, even though the blog is now 10 years old.

We met up with Yazz again this year when we went to the Hot Springs Spyder Rally in Arkansas. We did another half day ride one more time. It was great to see our friend from the past.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red