Thread: Camera mount?

Spyder Garage

Default Camera mount?

I want to mount a video camera on my RT, where I can turn it on/off, & adjust the lens. Anyone done this? Ram mount?? Where?? Easy/hard install?

Thanx!
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Ram mount?? Where?? Easy/hard install?

Thanx!
    When I was looking recently for a suitable mount for my Zumo 550 I came across a RAM Mount which I was convinced would suit my purposes. I was wrong, I didn't end up using it BUT I do think it would fulfil your wish to mount a video camera on your Spyder.

The RAM Mount in question is the V-Base with 1" Ball & Straps, Part No. RAM-B-108B. With the appropriate length of strap you could very easily mount a camera on your handlebar and have complete control over the camera.

RAM also make a 1" ball with a camera standard screw to which you fasten your camera. The two balls are then connected with a short arm which allows you to point the camera any place you like!

Unfortunately, neither of the 2 straps suppllied with the V-Base Mount are long enough to cope with the RT's handlebar circumference but longer straps are readily available - in the UK we call them Jubilee Clips but you likely have your own name for them.
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 04-21-2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: additional info

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    Unfortunately, neither of the 2 straps suppllied with the V-Base Mount are long enough to cope with the RT's handlebar circumference but longer straps are readily available - in the UK we call them Jubilee Clips but you likely have your own name for them.
    Hose Clamps
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Camera Mount

I attach either my Fujji camera or Kodak Playsport video camera to a Monfrotto 492 Micro Ball Head that I have mounted on the dash of my RT. See attached pictures.
    The mount is secured to the dash with a 3/8" male threaded bolt and a few rubber washers to dampen vibration. I leave the mount on my dash at all times, but I could remove it and plug the hole with a snap cap if I felt so inclined.

I investigated a number of options for mounting my cameras on the RT, which included Ram Mounts and fixed platforms but found this simple device met my needs. If you are leery of drilling a hole through your dash for the mount you could always use some super adhesive double sided industrial tape to secure the mount.

Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    I attach either my Fujji camera or Kodak Playsport video camera to a Monfrotto 492 Micro Ball Head that I have mounted on the dash of my RT. See attached pictures.
    The mount is secured to the dash with a 3/8" male threaded bolt and a few rubber washers to dampen vibration. I leave the mount on my dash at all times, but I could remove it and plug the hole with a snap cap if I felt so inclined.

I investigated a number of options for mounting my cameras on the RT, which included Ram Mounts and fixed platforms but found this simple device met my needs. If you are leery of drilling a hole through your dash for the mount you could always use some super adhesive double sided industrial tape to secure the mount.

Hope this helps.

Don't you pick up some reflections shooting through the windshield? I tried that on my GS with CHAD and did pick up reflections and some distortion.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I want to mount a video camera on my RT, where I can turn it on/off, & adjust the lens. Anyone done this? Ram mount?? Where?? Easy/hard install?

Thanx!
    I mounted my GoPro camera on my Left Mirror (2010, RT). I have taken a few videos with it and it seems to behave pretty well. No excessive vibration; easy to reach; easy to aim. LCD monitor is a good purchase. It permits you to see what you are videoing while riding.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Good Question

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Don't you pick up some reflections shooting through the windshield? I tried that on my GS with CHAD and did pick up reflections and some distortion.
    I have not noticed any appreciable distortions or reflections from shooting through the RT windshield, but I have only shot footage/taken pictures during daylight hours, without a flash. The only issue I have experienced stems from camera vibration while traveling on a rough road.

It would be nice if I had a higher end video recorder with superior vibration dampening, but my simple system will have to do until I strike it rich.

Spyder Garage

I have a RAM double on my cup holder bracket, and tried some video using a 7" stem, and shooting through the windshield. Poor - but I guess bug splatters on the windshield are better than bug splatters on the lens… plus, the camera moves with the bars…. hmmmm
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

GPS City has some go pro mounts available I think there was a on this site discussing mounting video cameras I think this is the thread.

www.gpscity.com

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ghlight=mounts

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Hose Clamps
    That's nicely descriptive.

Spyder Garage

Here's an example of my first attempt - mounted on my GPS mount…
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

SpyderRyderTV

Default your first attemp

your first attempt does not want us to view the video

Spyder Garage

YouTube says it's private. What have you been filming?

Spyder Garage

My video converter automatically reaches into iTunes and grabs a tune for the sound channel - YouTube doesn't like that….. Knew there was a reason I had never used YouTube… Have to figure another way to post the video.. BTW, it DOES work on my computer...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Wellllll ,,,,, I let YouTube "fix" the problem… I've come to the conclusion that YouTube is a PITA….
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member