Spyder Garage

Default Need a recommendation for comm system mod

I am picking up a 2011 RT Limited today, and need to be able to use a GMRS radio with it. I have the top Autocom unit available (I have been using it on my Victory) but the shop says that the only way they can install the unit is to drill a large hole in the back trunk for cord insertion and this would make the trunk no longer waterproof, ever again, and the mod would be at least partially visable. They are not aware of a way to make the factory intercom interface with the GMRS radio, so I am sort of stuck. What is the cleanest way to have the following operating at once:
    GPS
    Bluetooth Phone (through garmin 660)
    GMRS Radio
    AM/FM Radio (from bike)
    CB Radio (from intercom, but not really necessary)
    XM Radio (can it be interfaced from the 660, or do I need to swap to 665?)
    Intercom from rider to driver

What else?

I am willing to sell the Autocom if there is a better product, and my dealer prefers to use the factory unit, though does not know how to hook up the GMRS. So there we are. Any ideas are appreciated.

Ben Cohen

Spyder Garage

There is no way that I know to interface it with the factory system, but the Autocom is a good unit. We have Starcom1 units on both Spyders. Haven't had good success with the GMRS, but that could be mostly due to our particular choice of radio units. Depending on where you mount things, you may need to drill a hole in the rear or front trunk, but it is easily sealed with a rubber grommet and a little RTV silicone. I wouldn't worry. It is hard for water to make its way into the areas where the cables enter the trunks, anyway.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

This is what I'm using.
    http://www.cardosystems.com/us/scala...er-g4-powerset

Now I can bluetooth to my ipod and change tracks on the RT but I can not use the CB or any of the other channels. If you want XM I would go with the 665 for sure and then you'll have weather overlay too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bencohen View Post
    I am picking up a 2011 RT Limited today, and need to be able to use a GMRS radio with it. I have the top Autocom unit available (I have been using it on my Victory) but the shop says that the only way they can install the unit is to drill a large hole in the back trunk for cord insertion and this would make the trunk no longer waterproof, ever again, and the mod would be at least partially visable. They are not aware of a way to make the factory intercom interface with the GMRS radio, so I am sort of stuck. What is the cleanest way to have the following operating at once:
    GPS
    Bluetooth Phone (through garmin 660)
    GMRS Radio
    AM/FM Radio (from bike)
    CB Radio (from intercom, but not really necessary)
    XM Radio (can it be interfaced from the 660, or do I need to swap to 665?)
    Intercom from rider to driver

What else?

I am willing to sell the Autocom if there is a better product, and my dealer prefers to use the factory unit, though does not know how to hook up the GMRS. So there we are. Any ideas are appreciated.

Ben Cohen

On the new RT Limited . I have the same model and I love it.

I have Nolan N43 Triligy helmets with the N-Com intercom system in two helmets (driver/passenger). My Blackberry 9700 is paired with my Zumo 660 and the Zumo 660 is paired with my N-Com. With this configuration I can talk with the passenger, take or make calls through the N-Com/Zumo and get navigation info to the N-Com.

Only problem with this setup is I can't get audio from the Spyder stereo system to the helmets. The only way to get this to a headset requires the BRP headsets, CB option and entertainment wiring harness. However, I have been reading where a lot of people are having issues with this setup.

An alternative solution would be to add a bluetooth transmitter connected to the speaker outputs via a speaker to line converter.

However, you bring up a interesting option using a Zumo 665 rather than the 660. Not sure if the XM from the Zumo 665 would go through the Spyder audio system but it would get to my N-Com via BT.

Has anyone connected a Zumo 665 to their Spyder and get XM through the audio system?
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post

However, you bring up a interesting option using a Zumo 665 rather than the 660. Not sure if the XM from the Zumo 665 would go through the Spyder audio system but it would get to my N-Com via BT.

Has anyone connected a Zumo 665 to their Spyder and get XM through the audio system?
    It will work but you would have to change stations on the GPS and not the RT controls. There is one audio input for the GPS on the RT

Spyder Garage

Scala G4
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Default On that one input...

I am trying to digest this info. The zumo connects to the spider by a dedicated 3.5mm pin? Can that be split so that one ges to the harness, and the other t the autocom? And is the splitter going to mess up the microphone side of the business? Or the stereo? It seems that in the quest for brp to have oem, they screwed everyone out of a proper setup. I had none of these problems on my Victory Vision with a similar setup.
    I am also having trouble finding a trailer wiring converter that will allow me to use a flat connector with the spyder trailer socket. A little help would be appreciated there too. And what was the final verdict on iPad compatibility with the iPod connector? Charging? Control? Need to buy nano?

Spyder Garage

I can't help you on the audio end but on my RT the ipad will not charge and it will only control the volume. My iphone and ipod touch will charge and change tracks.

Spyder Garage

Default Cut a hole- no turning back!

I cut a hole behind the seat for the plugs to the autocom, so there is no turning back now. Still looking for a connector between the Trailer hookup and my standard trailer. Coming up empty from factory. Also need a way to get voice to gps for phone, without bluetoth earpiece. And the quest continues!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    On the new RT Limited . I have the same model and I love it.

I have Nolan N43 Triligy helmets with the N-Com intercom system in two helmets (driver/passenger). My Blackberry 9700 is paired with my Zumo 660 and the Zumo 660 is paired with my N-Com. With this configuration I can talk with the passenger, take or make calls through the N-Com/Zumo and get navigation info to the N-Com.

Only problem with this setup is I can't get audio from the Spyder stereo system to the helmets. The only way to get this to a headset requires the BRP headsets, CB option and entertainment wiring harness. However, I have been reading where a lot of people are having issues with this setup.......

Seems BRP dropped the ball on their whole audio system! They should have consulted with actual tour/long distance riders on what they look or want in such an audio system BEFORE deciding on what to put in their finished product. Such as making it compatible with other products so as to not limit their customers freedom of choice while allowing FULL and UNRESTRICTED system operation.

That said, lets see IF BRP will correct this HUGE oversight (caused by their design team) and make their customers satisfied by offering a fix. This is a TOURING bike, not a SPORT!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFun View Post
    ...Such as making it compatible with other products so as to not limit their customers freedom of choice while allowing FULL and UNRESTRICTED system operation.
    I agree with every word but IMO compatibility with other than their own approved products does not figure in BRP's maketing philosophy. Taking tires and engine oil for example, it's no coincidence that the spec laid down is peculiarly BRP's own and the implication is that to go and find an equally good but cheaper product elsewhere will have implications for BRP's guarantee. Or am I being overly sensitive?