Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    36mm
    96 flp
    Thanks boborgera.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bootie View Post
    Nobody mentioned that they use a BELT TENSIONER. It would seem that this would alleviate some of the problems, like getting the belt too tight (Lamont).
    Has the tensioner fallen out of favor with this group? Also, if the tensioner had some small side-to-side adjustments that might take care of the alignment problems.
    IMHO
    The RT tensioner brackets are adjustable with slightly elongated slots in case the drill gets a little off center, but this is to make sure the pulley can be aligned perfectly with the belt. The GS/RS tensioner clamps on without drilling and is fully adjustable. A properly aligned pulley will have no effect on the tracking of the rear sprocket, it is there only to control belt slap.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Thanks for the update. I guess I should be glad that my 2011 has never shown a sign of it.
    My 2011 RT Limited only has 1022 miles on it and it sqeals/screaches. BRP instructed the dealer to realign the engine to the front drive pulley. They did this by fabricating a steel bar which they ran through the alignment holes in the engine after loosening the engine mounts, re-aligning the engine and drive pulleys. They replaced the Cush drive and belt as well. After 2 each 3 week stints in the dealers shop, the bike was returned the other day. However, I still have the same problem, but the screeching noise coming fm the left front of the engine is much less loud. The dealer is now telling me that BRP is looking at either redesigning the belt and or pulley with rounded teeth, to some other design. They are also looking at a special coating for the front pulley to reduce friction...and noise.

Spyder Garage

Default Problem Solved

About 3 weeks ago I started hearing the chirping on acceleration on my 2010 RT with 4700 miles on it. By coincidence it was right after I trailered it for the first time. I had ratchet strapped it very tight (I mean very tight!) to the trailer taking care not to strap through the rear sprocket. It turns out my new my trailer had a problem, which has since been corrected. The wheel lugs were not concentric to hub's center so the Spyder was in for a jolting ride bouncing alot. I suspected the jolting trailer ride and tight strap had something to do with the chirping. I took it to the dealer and was told they could not hear the chirp and everything checked OK. Like Lamonster, I thought the noise was coming from the front wheel. I noticed my belt which had always run close (~1mm) from the flange on the rear sprocket had started to move further away from the flange. Last week we trailered it to Virginia and put over 500 chirping miles on it through the curves in the mountains. Yesterday after reading this thread I checked the belt. It had wandered even further away from the sprocket's flange. The right adjusting screw had no tension on it. It was not "seated". I could wiggle it around with my fingers. I suspected that may have something to do with the problem so I took a trip to Sears and purchased a 36mm socket. Much to my surprise the large axle nuts, which I learned from this thread should be torqued to 96 flb., were barely tight. The right side of the axle had moved toward the back of the bike causing the adjustment screw on that side to be loose. I loosened the axle nut a bit further took a ratchet strap and secured it to my stationary tractor, ratcheted the wheel to the right, gave it a couple of whacks with a large rubber mallet and retightened the nut. The adjusting screw was seated and no longer loose. I took the bike out for a 20 mile ride checking the belt several times. One again it is about 1mm from the flange and the chirp is gone! I'm convinced the combination of the loose nut, tight ratchet strap, and rough trailer ride was enough throw the semi-loose rear wheel slightly out of alignment and cause the belt to wander. The belt tension seems ok using NancysToy 90 degree check. I've got to have a serious conversation with my dealer.

This forum is fantastic. I would have never found out what was causing the chirp and discovered the loose rear wheel nuts without this thread.
    Last edited by dadof4; 08-21-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Update on squeal

Well, I took the Spyder back to the dealer (5th time now and I've only owned it 2 weeks) to complain about the squealing and showed them the posts from this thread. They took checked the alignment of the belt and contacted BRP about the issue. All they told me was the bike's alignment was fine and that BRP said they are aware of the noise, it wont hurt anything on the Spyder, and to just enjoy the bike. Thats my answer. The bike is now squealing 3 times as loud as it was before they worked on it. I dont know what else to do about it since i am obviously not going to get any more help.

When I got the bike home, and extremely frustrated, I decided to spray WD40 all over the belt to see if it helps. It did. It cut the squealing down by 95%. The bad part, it came back after 2 days so I just sprayed it again. Looks like I will just have to do this 3 times a week till someone comes out with a fix for it. Hope WD40 doesnt damage the belt or anything else....

Spyder Garage

I don't think rubber likes oil-based lubricants so I'd stay away from WD40. Given the squeal went away when you sprayed it, you have definitely identified the problem to be the belt. Show your dealer this post ---- THEY SUCK!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by niander99 View Post
    Well, I took the Spyder back to the dealer (5th time now and I've only owned it 2 weeks) to complain about the squealing and showed them the posts from this thread. They took checked the alignment of the belt and contacted BRP about the issue. All they told me was the bike's alignment was fine and that BRP said they are aware of the noise, it wont hurt anything on the Spyder, and to just enjoy the bike. Thats my answer. The bike is now squealing 3 times as loud as it was before they worked on it. I dont know what else to do about it since i am obviously not going to get any more help.

When I got the bike home, and extremely frustrated, I decided to spray WD40 all over the belt to see if it helps. It did. It cut the squealing down by 95%. The bad part, it came back after 2 days so I just sprayed it again. Looks like I will just have to do this 3 times a week till someone comes out with a fix for it. Hope WD40 doesnt damage the belt or anything else....

I used belt dressing on my 08GS along with both my dealer and me trying to eliminate the squeal with numerous adjustments to no avail.
    At just under 18 thousand miles the sprocket and shaft blew. After the repair [30 + days 1800+$] Miraculously the squeal stopped.
    The Spyder is gone, And as far as I'm concerned so is BRP!!

Spyder Garage

I have Capt.Jim's belt tensioner for the RT. Once I had it installed I no longer heard the belt squeal. To prove it I removed the tension on the tensioner and rode around awhile and the squeal was back. It's definitely the belt.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Default Belt tension

What do you have your tensioner set at? Thanks Tim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ryedoggracing View Post
    What do you have your tensioner set at? Thanks Tim
    With the Spyder on the ground the hash mark on the arm is centered between the two highest tension marks (3 marks total). Not sure what that measures in pounds but at that setting most of the belt vibrations are gone except for a little between 4-4.5K RPMs. Still need to play around with the tension to find the best setting. I think my static belt tension is on the low side of the spec. My dealer said the tension was in spec. My recipt had a measurement of 351. Not sure what that means.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Thats what I needed thanks

Spyder Garage

Belt Tensioner
    Just put on Smooth Spyder Tensioner on road 100 miles and all I can say is Holy Poop!!! This thing smooths my RT right out no vibes or belt noise. Can't understand why BRP doesn't put theses on at the factory. CAPT. JIM you the man fast shipping great directions. Excellent product!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Great mod. Im gonna have to try one of these. Sent PM.

Spyder Garage

niander99 get yourself a cricket tool and set the belt tension to a lower spec. I think they have your belt way to tight if it's squealing. I have my belt set at 115lbs with the smoothspyder tensioner at 12lbs and works great no squeal and no vibrations.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CatsJ35 View Post
    niander99 get yourself a cricket tool and set the belt tension to a lower spec. I think they have your belt way to tight if it's squealing. I have my belt set at 115lbs with the smoothspyder tensioner at 12lbs and works great no squeal and no vibrations.
    Thanks for the update. U just had the 1st service done on my 2012 and it still squeals so I guess I am going to have to look into the SmoothSpyder.

Spyder Garage

Default Do all SPYDERS squeal when you give them gas?

"Rotational chirping" when accelerating sounds exactly like the symptoms Imhad a week ago when I picked upca small rock chip that lodged in the rear sprocket. It was very hard to spot. In fact, I could not spot it until it started to produce a very light parttern on the belt. ( glad I check it often.) the "chirp" would disappear after out riding for a while.
    2015 SE6 RT-S
    Black/Red Special Edition.

Spyder Garage

Default Do all SPYDERS squeal when you give them gas?

Our 2011 RTs squeals with delight when I open the throttle, so does my better half and I have a wide grin on my face....not into squealing myself!

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Do all SPYDERS squeal when you give them gas?

Ahhh no that's not normal get it checked out imediatly

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Mine does it also.