Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I am so, so glad this topic came up at this particular time. Just this morning, I turned in my RT-S for its 12K servicing. I mentioned to the service manager about the squealing and asked him to check it out. I just got off the phone with him and advised him that I would be forwarding him a link to this very thread for his tech to read and learn. Man, I love this forum!!

Spyder Garage

Hey Slybird, I have found that these forums are so full of knowledgeable folks.

I have another 300 miles before I should have it serviced and I am wondering it that will be okay or just bite the bullet and make two trips. It may take a little time for the candle wax to come off enough for the sound to come back

I hope you will post again when you hear from your dealer.

Dee
    2018 RT Limited , Champange with black and pink strips

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Harley is selling a belt dressing which stops the noise . I used it on a couple of HD which were squealing with good results.
    It looks like a past, white, and you just put a little between the rear sprocket and the belt while turning the wheel. As HD is the pioneer of modern belt on bike I guess they know what they are doing?
    Philippe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydee1 View Post
    Hey Slybird, I have found that these forums are so full of knowledgeable folks.

I have another 300 miles before I should have it serviced and I am wondering it that will be okay or just bite the bullet and make two trips. It may take a little time for the candle wax to come off enough for the sound to come back

I hope you will post again when you hear from your dealer.

Dee
    I drove for 600 miles before getting it completely resolved. I was in denial for a 300 hundred miles because it always did it and I figured it was the nature of a belt driven system, but then I realized that belts are suppose to be quieter than chains; at least in imported cars they are. If the dealer had resolved it the first time I wouldn't have to contend with it for 300 additional miles. I hope no damage has occurred to the belt, bearings, sprockets, etc. Only time will tell.

2011 Spyder RT-S SE5 - OEM

Spyder Garage

Smile update noise problem revised

Yeah, Spydee is on her way home from the dealer. Hubby took it in today and they adjusted the belt. Problem resolved. Now I am ready for the holiday weekend.

Seriously though for those who might have the problem, the sound really sounded like it was coming from the front wheel but only durning acceleration.
    Hubby was convinced it was the belt and tried to adjust it but could not get it just right, so we decided it was time to take it to the dealer. The service guy agreed and spent quite a bit of time but got it right.

Now when hubby get home and gets it off the trailer, its time for a ride.

Dee
    2018 RT Limited , Champange with black and pink strips

Spyder Garage

I have the same issue with 300 miles on a brand new 2011 RT-S SE5. I have looked in the manual and cant find where the sprocket alignment procedure is. I can only see the alignment procedure for the belt. Anyone know where I can look and find it? I know its a sprocket issue because on the rear sprocket I can see an uneven gap around the sprocket where belt is even touching the inside lip of the sprocket.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I have the same issue with 300 miles on a brand new 2011 RT-S SE5. I have looked in the manual and cant find where the sprocket alignment procedure is. I can only see the alignment procedure for the belt. Anyone know where I can look and find it? I know its a sprocket issue because on the rear sprocket I can see an uneven gap around the sprocket where belt is even touching the inside lip of the sprocket.
    Belt alignment is done with the rear sprocket (i.e. rear wheel). Follow the procedure in the manual. The sprocket iteself cannot be adjusted.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Belt alignment is done with the rear sprocket (i.e. rear wheel). Follow the procedure in the manual. The sprocket iteself cannot be adjusted.
    Thanks Scotty,
    I understand now. I was wondering how someone could adjust the sprocket. I was looking at the maual for the tension on the belt and it has some electronic contraption to use. Is there any other way to adjust the tension by using hand tools or a simpler way of doing this?

Spyder Garage

The best way to adjust the belt is with the sonic gauge, with the Spyder jacked up, as described in the manual. You can do a pretty good check with the Krikit belt gauge by NAPA. I believe the part number is KR2. Gates has a similar gauge. There is no straight comparison to the sonic gauge readings, though, so the best bet is to get a baseline reading with the Kriket after a dealer adjusts the belt. Most folks find that a reading of about 150-180 on the Krikit, with the Spyder sitting on the ground, compares favorably. Readings should be taken in the center of the belt run, with the tire rotated and an average of three readings in different places used. I have found that the old standard of twisting the belt with your finger and thumb seems to apply. A 90 degree twist (with difficulty)at the center of the run seems to correspond to the correct tension. BTW, aligning and tensioning the belt is a standard part of the 600 mile service.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    Thanks Scotty,
    I understand now. I was wondering how someone could adjust the sprocket. I was looking at the maual for the tension on the belt and it has some electronic contraption to use. Is there any other way to adjust the tension by using hand tools or a simpler way of doing this?
    I had the dealer adjust my belt tension when I heard about BRP changing the tension spec and got BRP to cover it since mine with only 1000 miles at the time was double the new spec.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Nancy Toy, Are you sure about that 90% twisting of belt? I have used your suggested twist of a 1/4 turn to check belt and it seems perfect.90% seems that would be 2/3 of a twist or more.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The best way to adjust the belt is with the sonic gauge, with the Spyder jacked up, as described in the manual. You can do a pretty good check with the Krikit belt gauge by NAPA. I believe the part number is KR2. Gates has a similar gauge. There is no straight comparison to the sonic gauge readings, though, so the best bet is to get a baseline reading with the Kriket after a dealer adjusts the belt. Most folks find that a reading of about 150-180 on the Krikit, with the Spyder sitting on the ground, compares favorably. Readings should be taken in the center of the belt run, with the tire rotated and an average of three readings in different places used. I have found that the old standard of twisting the belt with your finger and thumb seems to apply. A 90 degree twist (with difficulty)at the center of the run seems to correspond to the correct tension. BTW, aligning and tensioning the belt is a standard part of the 600 mile service.
    So am I ok to just continue to ride with the belt in this condition, up until the 600 mile service? Bike currently has 350 miles on it now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by J W Miller View Post
    Nancy Toy, Are you sure about that 90% twisting of belt? I have used your suggested twist of a 1/4 turn to check belt and it seems perfect.90% seems that would be 2/3 of a twist or more.
    1/4 turn is 90 degrees (not 90 percent). 360 degrees divided by four = 90 when I went to school.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Who! Sorry about that.The word degree just did not compute in my old brain. You are so right. Thanks for correcting my mistake.

Spyder Garage

Default Harleyrick

I'm having the same problem with a belt noise I put some Harley belt dressing on it and it stops for a day and then it's back. So if I understand this it's only a belt adjustment?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harleyRick View Post
    I'm having the same problem with a belt noise I put some Harley belt dressing on it and it stops for a day and then it's back. So if I understand this it's only a belt adjustment?
    Has everyone got this squealing issue with their Spyder's resolved? I just bought a 2011 RT-S SE5 and mine does this. Dealer is telling me this is normal for Spyders and they all do it.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by niander99 View Post
    Has everyone got this squealing issue with their Spyder's resolved? I just bought a 2011 RT-S SE5 and mine does this. Dealer is telling me this is normal for Spyders and they all do it.

If the squealing is loud, and annoying; At that point it's not normal,
    Your belt is too tight, or it's rubbing against the flange on the rear sprocket.

Spyder Garage

It is not normal...or healthy for the Spyder. They definitely do not all do this...although due to bad setup, all that your dealer has done might. Kick your idiot dealer in his lazy butt and tell him to fix it. Probably a belt alignment issue.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

It seems that this is a problem mostly with the 2011. My dealer is having fits with this right now on all his 2011 units. Even the guys at the dealer show were asking me if I had heard about this on the boards. It's not a simple belt adjustment and BRP is working on it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    It seems that this is a problem mostly with the 2011. My dealer is having fits with this right now on all his 2011 units. Even the guys at the dealer show were asking me if I had heard about this on the boards. It's not a simple belt adjustment and BRP is working on it.
    Thanks for the update. I guess I should be glad that my 2011 has never shown a sign of it.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Squeel

Nobody mentioned that they use a BELT TENSIONER. It would seem that this would alleviate some of the problems, like getting the belt too tight (Lamont).
    Has the tensioner fallen out of favor with this group? Also, if the tensioner had some small side-to-side adjustments that might take care of the alignment problems.
    IMHO

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I appreciate the information guys. I am new to the bike world so all of this is new to me. I don't know what sounds are normal and what ones are not normal. I do have a little bit of common sense and to me the noise is not normal. My dealer put me on a 2011 Limited they had as a demo with 3000 miles on it to prove that "all spyders make this noise". It made the same squeal, just not as loud as mine does. What damage does this cause to the bike? Hopefully whatever would break would be covered under warranty. At this stage I just don't know what else to do because they are convinced its "normal".

Spyder Garage

I appreciate the information guys. I am new to the bike world so all of this is new to me. I don't know what sounds are normal and what ones are not normal. I do have a little bit of common sense and to me the noise is not normal. My dealer put me on a 2011 Limited they had as a demo with 3000 miles on it to prove that "all spyders make this noise". It made the same squeal, just not as loud as mine does. What damage does this cause to the bike? Hopefully whatever would break would be covered under warranty. At this stage I just don't know what else to do because they are convinced its "normal".
    We just picked up the wifes 2011 RT-S SE5 a few months ago and the belt made the same noise that you have stated. I took it back to the dealer and the belt had started to rub on the front pulley. They ordered a new belt and I told them about a lower tension that has been posted here on the board. I suggested that they contact BRP to get the right answer. The belt does squeel very slightly if its under a good load very slightly but seems ok. No wear as of right now on the belt. Everything was covered under warranty.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Squeal (chirp)

Anyone know the socket size and the torque spec. for the nuts for the rear wheel?

Thanx

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dadof4 View Post
    Anyone know the socket size and the torque spec. for the nuts for the rear wheel?

Thanx
    36mm
    96 flp