Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Dave, This was like the agony of waiting until next month's magazine to read the end of the story. What a well written and exciting series! Glad it had a happy ending. It was well worth the wait.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Red face Back to "somewhat" normalcy

Still ryde'n Teds Red Sled on a daily basis. While at lunch today from work, I was on my way to the car wash & what do I see coming up the road & going right past me? Yup, it was the first time I've seen another local ryde'n a Viper Red RT-S. Made me smile & wave, that's for sure.

After I got back to work, my dealer called me to ask if it was ok to give my phone number out to another local that has a 2010 RT-S that a few months back, we were both at the dealers & he has his 2010 pretty well decked out, buy he was really impressed with Teddy's SpyderFest eddition RT-S & said he was curious about the Elkas. Well, since teddy wasn't around, I told him to go ahead & take it for a spin, so he could experience them for himself, which he enthusiastically did. Upon his return, he proclaimed to the owner (of the dealership) I've gotta have 'em. I guessed he liked them pretty well -LOL I thought he had ordered them and had them on by now, but I was wrong. Apparently, the cost factor changed his mind, at least temporarily. He wanted to talk to me to get my feelings about them, considering the substantial cost. The Elkas came on Teddys SpyderFest Eddition, so Ive only experienced the 2010 stock shocks, which I believe just about everyone (including BRP) would agree were sub-standard for the RT application, and then the Elkas that we have now. Ive never experienced the 2011 Up-graded RT shocks, tho many ryders I've talked with at the past get-togethers we've been to, that have the 2011 Up-Graded shocks, say they are a VAST IMPROVEMENT!

My question to y'all out there is this. If someone has the 2010 stock shocks & want an up-grade for better handling, would you suggest ordering the 2011 Up-Graded stock shocks for around $300 1st & then if your still not happy with them (I'm sure you could sell them on here) go for the Elkas for around $700+?

What say you that are in the know, like Scotty that had the 2010 stockers & then got the 2011 RT? Are you happy with the stock shocks or think an Up-Grade is still needed? I'm just trying to give the BEST Advise that I can. Thanks y'all.

Dave~
    Last edited by CyncySpyder; 08-22-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Question Trying to downsize/economize- Got to meet & ryde with another local

Wow, didnt get any resposes at all about the RT stock shock upgrades....... Hmmmmm

Teddy & I got to meet another SpyderLovers.com forum member (Coz) yesterday. We met up at Ault Park, chat'd a bit, played with Teddy some & we went for a ryde around town
    was really good to meet another local, only the second time its happened for us.

Im seriously debating on selling my car. Its just sitting there & costing me money while it rots I havent driven it in over 8 months. Last time I went to drive it, had to have it towed to the shop & had to have the AC Compressor replaced. Went to start it a couple weeks ago & now its got a dead battery Along with repairs, insurance & taxes, its turned into a really expensive yard ornament Sad thing is, I really like my Cougar, but I like & am addicted to Teddys Spyder even more, cant go a day without ryding. I rode all last year, winter be damned. As long as your prepared, winter ryding isn't really an issue for me. Figure if it gets really bad, I could always rent a car for a couple of days til the snow clears & I'll still save alot of $$ over the long run.

Anyone else out there that use their Spyders as a daily driver or as their only vehicle like to chime in with your thoughts, pros & cons? Thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    My question to y'all out there is this. If someone has the 2010 stock shocks & want an up-grade for better handling, would you suggest ordering the 2011 Up-Graded stock shocks for around $300 1st & then if your still not happy with them (I'm sure you could sell them on here) go for the Elkas for around $700+?

What say you that are in the know, like Scotty that had the 2010 stockers & then got the 2011 RT? Are you happy with the stock shocks or think an Up-Grade is still needed? I'm just trying to give the BEST Advise that I can. Thanks y'all.

Dave~
    Dave, I'm sorry that I didn't respond to this post sooner but I just missed it and didn't see it until now. I have replaced the stock shocks on my 2010 RT with stock 2011 shocks. Don't have the recept in front of me right now but I'm thinking the parts cost me around $220.00 and I did the work myself. I wish I had Elkas or Works Performance shocks so I could play with compression and rebound settings but I didn't want to spend that much money at the time. In my opinion, the 2011 shocks are worth the money. They made the RT corner a lot flatter and it feels a lot more stable in corners especially if the corner gets bumpy. Feels more stable in the wind as well.

That said, if I had thought at the time that I could afford the more expensive Elkas or Works, I would have bought them. It's worth the extra money to have the adjustability and be able to get the ride and handling characteristics closer to what you want. But at the time I thought I could afford $200.00 or so but not $7-800.00 or so. Oh, one other thing to remember is that both Elkas and Works are rebuildable so you may save some money down the road with them.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    Dave, I'm sorry that I didn't respond to this post sooner but I just missed it and didn't see it until now. I have replaced the stock shocks on my 2010 RT with stock 2011 shocks. Don't have the recept in front of me right now but I'm thinking the parts cost me around $220.00 and I did the work myself. I wish I had Elkas or Works Performance shocks so I could play with compression and rebound settings but I didn't want to spend that much money at the time. In my opinion, the 2011 shocks are worth the money. They made the RT corner a lot flatter and it feels a lot more stable in corners especially if the corner gets bumpy. Feels more stable in the wind as well.

That said, if I had thought at the time that I could afford the more expensive Elkas or Works, I would have bought them. It's worth the extra money to have the adjustability and be able to get the ride and handling characteristics closer to what you want. But at the time I thought I could afford $200.00 or so but not $7-800.00 or so. Oh, one other thing to remember is that both Elkas and Works are rebuildable so you may save some money down the road with them.

Cotton
    Hey Cotton, thanks for your opinion & advise, I'll pass it along

Spyder Garage

Default Your Cougar

Things to consider
    1 If weather gets too bad you still have transportation
    2 To avoide the problem you have right now with the car consider driving it at least once a week long enough to charge the battery and the other mechanis of the car
    Bruce - Mag.Metalic 2011 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up thanks for your feedback RydeOnThree

Appreciate it, but $$ is a major determining factor for the decision. Still debating

Spyder Garage

Talking Yesterday was the 2011 WEBN FIREWORKS

It's one of the largest Fireworks displays in the MidWest, & its our way of bringing summer to an end, with a city wide party with over 500,000 of our closest friends Sadly, none of the pics I took came out, which isn't a surprise considering I was using a cell phone from a mile away. I did take & posted a couple of short vidclips on you-tube, I'll see if I can find the link, tho I'm honestly not sure if they are even worth watching. Teddy & I live in a condo on the river about a mile away from where they are shot off, so we have pretty good seats right on the balcony & have a few family & friends over to watch with us. Was a good time, tho the rain almost cancelled the show, but it cleared at the last minute
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Post Hey Mr. Orange, thanks for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    I wouldn't do it! You really don't live that far south to avoid a snow free winter. You get a bad storm to blow through and how do you get to work? I'd but a battery tender on it and lower your insurance to absolute mins or nothing if possible. You ask for advise and this is mine. Roger, over & out.
    I wouldn't do it! You really don't live that far south to avoid a snow free winter. You get a bad storm to blow through and how do you get to work? I'd but a battery tender on it and lower your insurance to absolute mins or nothing if possible. You ask for advise and this is mine. Roger, over & out.
    We do get plenty of snow in these parts, but last winter it only stopped me from ryding in 3X. I was thinking, since I'll know in advance (for the most part) when the big storms are going to hit, I could always rent a vehicle for a couple of days. Doing that would still be alot cheaper than paying Insurance, taxes & tags every year on a car that just sits, for the most part. In my head, it seems logical, but I know reality isn't always logical.
    Last edited by CyncySpyder; 09-06-2011 at 08:35 AM.

Spyder Garage

Red face Man, does this pup have Star-Power or what?

Took the Tedster to his favorite hang-out yesterday (Pets Mart) & he had them all eating out of the palm of HIS hand (so to speak) So much so, that once we got back out to his Spyder to gear up & head home, one of his fans from inside was also about to leave, when she saw me put his Doggles on him & I heard her let out a squeal of Enthusiasm at the site. She came over & asked if she could take a pic, which of course, Teddy obliged. She mentioned how she saw him doing his tricks while inside & said how impressed she was with how well trained & behaved he was. At this, she asked if he was allowed to have a treat, beg'n strips, you know, the ones like bacon. Ummmmmmm········ Teddy is EXTREMELY FOOD MOTIVATED, so I said sure thing. She asks me to wait a minute while she ran back over to her car to get the treat for him. Ok, no problem, but then···· OMG! !! The lady came back with (I'm not kid'n) 8 bags of Beg'n Strips that she just bought & gave them ALL to me for Teddy! Huh, are you crazy? I was thinking a little piece of one, not a bag, less alone 8 bags. What are you doing, I asked? Then she preceded to tell me that she bought them for the ASPCA & that she donates 8 bags every month to them, but she felt that Teddy deserved them. Ummmmmmm······· WOW, thanks. But can you say MAJOR GUILT TRIP? I kindly refuse, but she wouldn't listen. After I explained that I also help support the ASPCA, she agreed to take back half & donate them, which I still felt guilty, but she left them (4 whole bags) with us and walked smiling back to her car. WOW, OK THEN, THANKS.

So, needless to say, Teddy is earning his treats now. Man, the joy this pup brings to others & the guilt he brings to ME.

Spyder Garage

Hey.... 8 bags of bacon would motivate ME TOO!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Hey.... 8 bags of bacon would motivate ME TOO!!!!!
    although I don't need it!! I can feel my arteries hardening now, just thinking about it
    Aspydering Ryder
    subsisto inrideo amicitia

I may not be perfect but, I am Canadian, and that's close enough!

Spyder Garage

Red face Guess we weren't kid'n about it being the end of summer

Wow, from highs in the 80's & high 90's last week, to a high of only 68 yesterday & all this week. . . . . . Burrrrrrrrrr

Got Teddy in his sweater yesterday & we headed out around town & went for a nice walk along the Cincinnati river-front & even walked across the "PURPLE PEOPLE BRIDGE" to Newport on the Levee. Was a nice walk & ryde, but really windy.

Finally able to upload pics again, so here's what your seeing, all with Teddy, of course.
    1) The Accent at Roblings Bridge. Designed by the same architect that designed the new World Trade Center, Daniel Libskime. (sorry, I know I misspelled his last name)

2) Teddy pose'n in front of the Purple People Bridge & one of Cincinnati's famous Flying Pigs

3) In front of the Covington Riverfront Murals

4) The National Underground Railroad Freedom Center

5) About to go onto the Robling Suspension Bridge, which was the prototype for the Brooklyn Bridge.
    Last edited by CyncySpyder; 09-07-2011 at 08:51 AM.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Not much seasonal transition here in MO either Dave. 105' on our rYde Saturday. 75' on Sunday and the leaves are starting to fall. In the 60' range on my rYde to work today!

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Dropped Teds Red Sled off at Middletown Cycle for 12K Service

Im very frustrated right now, but need to be careful of what I post here in a public forum, as to not give bad publicity where it may not be due. I wrote about everything going on, but decided I need to see how it all pans out before posting it here, so I deleted it.

Im waiting for replies to emails to see what happens & when I find out, I'll clue you all in.

Teddys doing ok, still being easy on his gimpy leg, but using it alot more than he has been. We've been having drizzly/gray blahhh days lately, with the remnants of the tropical storm from the Gulf-Coast just sit'n & spin'n over the Ohio Valley area for the past couple of days & days to come. Teddys just laying & sleep'n on my lap right now & his cat (Skyddie) is laying on top of the back of the couch with one leg on my shoulder. Swear these (kids) are spoiled- lol

2011-09-07 16.21.24.jpg2011-09-07 16.21.49.jpg

Spyder Garage

Post WoW! The difference between Teds Red Sled & a stock 2011 RT-S

I had never ridden a stock 2011 RT-S until today. While Teds Red Sled is in the shop, get`n the valve-body replaced & the 12K mile service done, I'm borrowing their demo unit (Thanks Middletown) til i get Teds back on Saturday morning, just in time for the Ohio Spyder Ryders group ryde out of Middletown Cycle. I told Aarron, the owner, that driving a stock unit will be good for me, help me appreciate all of Teds Red Sleds` options that Ive enjoyed since day one, like the Elka Shocks, Utopia backrest, Highway (wing) pegs, HMT brake light & the cool paint job by Danny Ferris. Gotta give Len & Cowtown props for doing a GREAT JOB with the SPYDERFEST EDDITION RT-S`S.

Not to mention the mods Ive personally added like the Garmin Zumo 665 GPS, the rear-view Teddy-Cam, cup-holder & the Verizon cell-phone holder.

I just came back from a mid-night ryde & I didn't realize how many mods that we actually have on the byke til you ryde a stock one. Biggest thing i noticed was thst the stock seat (without backrest) actually hurt my lower back. While ryding, I really missed having highway pegs for a change of leg position. On a personal note, & I realize Im in the minority here, but I switched out Teds 2011 Shield for the Larger 2010 shield & I love the larger shield. Now Im using the smaller 2011 shield & I swear, its almost like I don't have a shield at all.

Another major difference, was being back to the stock radio. Really missed the Zumo 665 GPS with the Serious XM, & all my stored mp3s. Truth be told, I guess Teddy isn't the only one thats spoiled. Seems I need to add myself to that list as well But if you work & pay for it yourself, and sacrifice other things in life to have what you want on the Spyder, does that still make you spoiled?

Spyder Garage

Talking Teds new doo

20110910_181250-1-1.jpg
    It matches his Spyder now

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up OSR Middletown Group Ryde today

We were running late as usual, but we made it just in time was a great ryde & even the weather played along for a good time with great ppl Teds new Red Doo was a hit

Spyder Garage

Default Cup Holder Mod Complete!

Dave,

It was good talking to you today on the Middletown ride.

I drove by Bass Proshops on the way home from the and bought a Ram mount and cupholder. Installed it as soon as I got home. It looks great, thanks fornthe advice.

One question. I removed the fuel gauge and now the analog temp gague is pegged at hot. Did yours do this?
    If I disconnect one of the analog gauges does the other fail? Do I need to do both?

Both the gauges are working in the digital display.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Yes, you gotta do both

Quote Originally Posted by kinggeek View Post
    Dave,

It was good talking to you today on the Middletown ride.

I drove by Bass Proshops on the way home from the and bought a Ram mount and cupholder. Installed it as soon as I got home. It looks great, thanks fornthe advice.

One question. I removed the fuel gauge and now the analog temp gague is pegged at hot. Did yours do this?
    If I disconnect one of the analog gauges does the other fail? Do I need to do both?
    Both the gauges are working in the digital display.

Cool, glad you found everything you needed. And yeah, you have to unplug both analogue gauges. Even if you only unplug one, both will show on your LCD. Many replace the other side with another digital gauge like a volt-meter or digital temp gauge. You saw what I did with the Teddy-Cam But it works well for us. Glad we could help & let us know when your ready to get together for a ryde. We were less than 3 miles from Teddy's condo when we were at Anderson Ferry

Spyder Garage

Talking Out for a nice ryde today

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up YUP

I see Teddy is now sporting a red mohawk!

I w s h i w t o, b i m h S p w

Spyder Garage

TOLD ya it would look good!!! I'm thinking you create a little contraption that let's his mowhawk stick through it, then get some of that temp hair color spray and make it BRIGHT red!!! IF your vet approves of course.

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Well.... Just scrolled back to the 10th and saw Tedster's vanity pose. Yup.... Dat's bright red!!!!

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk