Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Memphis area Dealers experiences?

My closet two Dealers to me (1.5 hours one way) are in Memphis, TN and was wondering if anyone here had expierences or 2nd hand knowledge from friends on the quality, service, reputation, etc... of either of these two Memphis area Spyder dealers?

FRS Powersports

Yamaha of Millington

Thanks for any help.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ArkTerry View Post
    My closet two Dealers to me (1.5 hours one way) are in Memphis, TN and was wondering if anyone here had expierences or 2nd hand knowledge from friends on the quality, service, reputation, etc... of either of these two Memphis area Spyder dealers?

FRS Powersports

Yamaha of Millington

Thanks for any help.
    I have been a loyal customer of Yamaha of Millington. No preasure, and the price David (owner and sales) gives you is the bottom price. And the service is first class. If you go there, tell David that Erick Del Toro sent you and that you know me from this website. Maybe he will start adverticing here after that (hint, hint, Lamont)

However, you being in Arkansas, you should go to Bradford Marine in North Little Rock. They have a great reputation too!
    Last edited by bullant12; 04-15-2011 at 09:20 PM.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Not many Memphis people here and FRS custumers as well. But I did stop at FRS before Millington and didn't even get the time of day when I went to look at the . And member zzneonzz has had his for 3 months with no reason.
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. I might need to check Bradford out also I guess. It is probably about a 2 hour drive vs the Memphis two with the side of town they are on being 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, but thats not too much longer really.

I am going to swing by both Memphis dealers tomorrow just to see a Spyder in person for first time and get a feel for both of them. I will take your high recommendation of Yam of Millington for strong look at them. Thanks for info.

Spyder Garage

Default FRS

Great shop brought mine there and they are fair on prices
    HM1 Nathaniel V. Mitchell, USN, CC-NREMT-P

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default FRS

While at FRS, ask for Travis Alexander. He was very helpful. I looked at the Yamaha Dealership and I just did not feel the love. With the $$$$ that these things cost; a nice smile and handshake should be standard. Just tell him that Joe Henderson referred you to FRS. I got my "Widow" last year and they have helped me at every turn. Good Luck!!!!!
    Last edited by Ol' Soldier; 04-20-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Soldier View Post
    While at FRS, ask for Travis Alexander. He was very helpful. I looked at the Yamaha Dealership and I just did not feel the love. With the $$$$ that these things cost; a nice smile and handshake should be standard. Just tell him that Joe Henderson referred you to FRS. I got my "Widow" last year and they have helped me at every turn. Good Luck!!!!!
    Glad to hear that FRS treated someone good and dissapointed that YoM did not make you feel good. I got the opposite in my case. I feel at home in YoM and FRS just unwelcome.

Previously owned:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

FRS Has always been friendly and all and I had never had any issue with them until now when my spyder has been sitting in their shop since January and they have yet to even start on it. I purchased mine in 2008 and have been a loyal customer of theirs ever since. I called them yesterday and was told that they where finishing up another one and mine was next in line. (been hearing this for 6 weeks now) this is my opinion is unexceptable when its costing me money for them having it this long.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zzneonzz View Post
    FRS Has always been friendly and all and I had never had any issue with them until now when my spyder has been sitting in their shop since January and they have yet to even start on it. I purchased mine in 2008 and have been a loyal customer of theirs ever since. I called them yesterday and was told that they where finishing up another one and mine was next in line. (been hearing this for 6 weeks now) this is my opinion is unexceptable when its costing me money for them having it this long.

Yes, that sounds very out of line for sure. Sorry you are having to deal with that. Crossing fingers on my experience.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zzneonzz View Post
    3 months without a diagnostic?!? Are they still a BRP dealership?
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

I have been very pleased with FRS Powersports. I have never waited an unreasonable time for services to be performed on my spyder. FRS has always gone out of their way to make me feel welcome and satisfied. The two times that I have been to Yamaha of Millington, I have found the owner to be somewhat condensending.He even walked away in mid conversation to start chatting up another customer. That is when I made up my mind to buy from FRS. This is just my two cents. I suggest that you visit each dealer a couple of times and then make your decision. Good luck and happy shopping.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default FRS

Yeah; I agree with all of the above. Since the one on Summer has closed; there are only 2 dealerships to deal with. But I guess that you must visit both shops. Depending on your personal choice; you will have to pick one. But I would not let my bike sit for months; I would pick it up and take it to YofM; for sure.

Good luck everyone and we must get a Spyder Club for the Memphis area.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    3 months without a diagnostic?!? Are they still a BRP dealership?
    They have had it Diagnosed for 2 months now. But the repair requires them to tear down the motor and they told me they don't want to tear down more than 1 spyder motor at a time even though they have had all the parts to repair mine for atleast a couple weeks now. Everytime I call or go up there they tell me yours is the next one and i have been hearing that for 6 weeks now.

We shall see how much longer it takes when I called them 2 days ago they said they were putting the last few pieces together on the other and should be starting mine that afternoon or next day.

I will say this is really the first time in almost 3 years that I have had any problems with FRS and a lot has changed with them and the dealers around town so i'm hoping this was just a 1 time thing.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Soldier View Post
    Yeah; I agree with all of the above. Since the one on Summer has closed; there are only 2 dealerships to deal with. But I guess that you must visit both shops. Depending on your personal choice; you will have to pick one. But I would not let my bike sit for months; I would pick it up and take it to YofM; for sure.

Good luck everyone and we must get a Spyder Club for the Memphis area.
    On the workmanship switch but VERY much on the Club!!! Bike Nights @ Beale have just started... need to rYde together!!

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by timpani View Post
    I have been very pleased with FRS Powersports. I have never waited an unreasonable time for services to be performed on my spyder. FRS has always gone out of their way to make me feel welcome and satisfied. The two times that I have been to Yamaha of Millington, I have found the owner to be somewhat condensending.He even walked away in mid conversation to start chatting up another customer. That is when I made up my mind to buy from FRS. This is just my two cents. I suggest that you visit each dealer a couple of times and then make your decision. Good luck and happy shopping.
    I think he's going to FRS... YoM only has RS's left for now.

I understand what you are saying about David being condensending... He does it but because he is the only salesperson on the floor (most of the time... lately I've noticed an older gentleman selling 4-wheelers) and I guess he wants to make sure everyone gets attended. That is what I like about him. He pulled my (future) RT out and rode my wife and later myself to feel the experience. FRS pretty much made me feel like a jack when I went asking for their inventory. Pretty much told me that if I did not have my "M" endorcement (which I was working on at the time), I wasn't even going to start the . In my opinion, if I get treated like I'm nobody, then I will be a nobody to them and that is exactly what I got from FRS. I even emailed BRP and FRS about my experience and didn't even get an reply back.

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

I bought my Spyder from Al's just a few months before they closed down. The folks at PowerSports have been great. I've learned more about my bike since switching to them than I ever did from Al's. Denny, in the Service Manager, has been great, though I haven't had anything major to deal with. Sorry, I don't know anything about the Millington dealer.

Al's said we didn't need a motorcycle endorsement because Tennessee listed the Spyder as a recreational vehicle and not a motorcycle. Any truth to that? PowerSports said just the opposite.
    Smokeless powder and automatic pistols are merely passing fads that will only distract you from the fine art of shooting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelgunner View Post
    I bought my Spyder from Al's just a few months before they closed down. The folks at PowerSports have been great. I've learned more about my bike since switching to them than I ever did from Al's. Denny, in the Service Manager, has been great, though I haven't had anything major to deal with. Sorry, I don't know anything about the Millington dealer.

Al's said we didn't need a motorcycle endorsement because Tennessee listed the Spyder as a recreational vehicle and not a motorcycle. Any truth to that? PowerSports said just the opposite.
    Not sure, but you do have to get motorcycle tags for the so that would tell me that the state lists the as a motorcycle.

Previously owned:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelgunner View Post

You still need your motorcycle endorsement to legally ride as a TN resident. TN states anything less than 4 wheels requires the M endorsement. You can get use your spyder to take the riding portion of the test. (Just a spin around the building)
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just my $.02.
    Bradford Marine was great to deal with on a warranty issue. No other experience.
    FRS is good, if you can only work with Travis.
    YOM-no experience.

I purchased my Spyder in Texas so I don't have any local experience with Sales, only Service.