Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post
    Has anyone ever used a Ram suction cup mount, like this? http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-gar...cup-mount.html There is only one review on it at GPS City and it's not very favorable. I was thinking of mounting my Nuvi to the left side of the windshield using this suction cup mount, but if it's a POS I'll mount per the OP's instructions.
    Suction cup mounts are usually only happy with a flat, smooth surface. I suspect the windshield curvature would allow it to come loose. You migght be able to stick one of those round, plastic discs to the top of the dash, then uses a suction mount on that...similar to waht folks do in their cars.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Ah, yes...the dreaded curvature of the windshield . Yep, sounds like my only options are to use a disc or bolt a Ram ball to the dash. Thanks Scotty!

Spyder Garage

Has anyone ever used a Ram suction cup mount, like this? http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-gar...cup-mount.html There is only one review on it at GPS City and it's not very favorable. I was thinking of mounting my Nuvi to the left side of the windshield using this suction cup mount, but if it's a POS I'll mount per the OP's instructions.
    RAM produce some really good stuff but using a suction mount on a trike or bike is not something I'd do. The suction pad suddenly letting go of its grip is always a danger.

If you attach a suction mount to the windscreen of a car and the suction fails the mount and its cargo will probably drop no more than a few inches onto the top of the dash and be dealt with safely by the driver or passenger.

If the suction cup loses its grip on a trike's windscreen there's no telling where it will end up. It will have the rider's complete attention at the moment it goes, that's for sure. My point is, it's a bad situation that could all too easily become a traffic accident.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

That's my biggest concern and why I wanted to know if anyone has used a suction mount. I've read quite a few threads where SL's have mounted their cameras on the body of the using suction mounts without any issues and wondered if the same stability held true for a GPS unit on the windshield. I placed an order from GPS City for some ball mounts and plan to mount my Garmin like you did. I also plan to mount my GoPro on the deflectors, like Lamont has done.

Thanks for your inputs!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Talked several times with the dealer...answer, no.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    Yes they do and yes it does. I guess it's a natural thing for a dealer to go with the manufacturer's products and preferences, especially as for him there is a chunk of profit in it. But step back and take a look at a problem and you'll sometimes find a better, cheaper way around it of your own. That's what I did. Inevitably, there is a tendency for some Spyder owners to believe that "BRP knows best" but I'm not one of 'em.

Smatter of fact it's true that BRP has CAUSED many of the problems we owners complain about, if not the majority of 'em. As this Forum demonstrates, almost on a daily basis, there is an amazing amount of ingenuity among contributors to SpyderLovers.com who are keen to discover and share their solutions to many of the issues that affect all of us Spyder riders. I think it would be a pity to waste that talent.

As the author of the original "Mounting a Zumo up High" contribution to the "How to: Step-by-Step" board I suggest you print off my article and wave it under the nose of your Can-Am dealer. Good luck. What you say to him is up to you but I'd start by complementing him on his good looks. I'd also dress down and plead poverty, even though you already know it will do no good. Demeaning yourself is character-building. But why you would go to him at all is a mystery when my instructions are clear and detailed enough to allow anyone able to use a few basic tools to complete the job. (I even included the ref # of the RAM-ball I used).

If you are worried about invalidating your warranty I cannot advise you. Clearly, your warranty is essentially an agreement between BRP and yourself. Obviously, I don't know your financial circumstances but I'm willing to bet they can afford better lawyers.
    Well guys, I have tried every approach known to get my dealer to mount my Zumo 660 up high....talked to everyone at the dealership including the owner who is also over the service dept. I was told that mounting the zumo up high was "in the line of sight" and BRP nor my dealer were willing to take the liability that could come from a potential accident. They also informed me the Zumo motorcycle harness wouldn't work with the RT-S and I would need one of their OEM harnesses. I pleaded that with a metal plate in my neck it wasn't very comfortable looking down (I also wear a full face helmet). They just said their hands were tied. So, basically I can have someone do it and ruin my electrical warranty or put up with the dealer's standard mounting position.

To all of you who are able to do your own unique installs, I salute you!!!

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I didn't want my 665 GPS on the dash, cause it was in my line of sight. It's mounted on the steering column, but not on the BRP mount. I do know I used the harness that came in the box; it goes from the column along the side to near the side bag. I had to buy a "connecting harness" from BRP to connect it to the harness which is located up and behind that rear side bag. Everything plugs and connects together, snapped in the 665 and off I went.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tfqha3
    I'm mobile using Tapatalk
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fliight Risk View Post
    Well guys, I have tried every approach known to get my dealer to mount my Zumo 660 up high....talked to everyone at the dealership including the owner who is also over the service dept. I was told that mounting the zumo up high was "in the line of sight" and BRP nor my dealer were willing to take the liability that could come from a potential accident. They also informed me the Zumo motorcycle harness wouldn't work with the RT-S and I would need one of their OEM harnesses. I pleaded that with a metal plate in my neck it wasn't very comfortable looking down (I also wear a full face helmet). They just said their hands were tied. So, basically I can have someone do it and ruin my electrical warranty or put up with the dealer's standard mounting position.

Your warranty won't be compromised. Unless the accessory cuases or contributes to the failure, the warranty remains in effect. That is Federal law...and is echoed in most state laws.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Have you considered mounting it on the handlebar like this?:

The picture is taken at my line of site while sitting on the seat. I do have to look down slightly, but it's really not very much (not as much as if it were factory mounted).
    Image 1.jpg

Here is a side view of how it's mounted. I had a Ram ball left over from my BMW F650GS and re-used it along with the 4" extension. If you need it to be higher, you can probably mount it on one of the upper handlebar bolts with a longer Ram extension. After taking a long ride yesterday, I may change my mind about mounting it on the dash. If it were on the dash, I may have to reach too far to access the unit (short girl with short arms ).
    Image 2.jpg

So, you may want to try mounting it higher from the handlebars using a long Ram extension.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Mounting up high

Have you considered mounting it on the handlebar like this?:

The picture is taken at my line of site while sitting on the seat. I do have to look down slightly, but it's really not very much (not as much as if it were factory mounted).
    Image 1.jpg

Here is a side view of how it's mounted. I had a Ram ball left over from my BMW F650GS and re-used it along with the 4" extension. If you need it to be higher, you can probably mount it on one of the upper handlebar bolts with a longer Ram extension. After taking a long ride yesterday, I may change my mind about mounting it on the dash. If it were on the dash, I may have to reach too far to access the unit (short girl with short arms ).
    Image 2.jpg

So, you may want to try mounting it higher from the handlebars using a long Ram extension.
    Thank you for the suggestion.......I am 5' 10" tall and have long ol monkey arms so it wouldn't bother me so much. This is definitely something to consider. Thank you!!

Spyder Garage

I was told that mounting the zumo up high was "in the line of sight"...
    Of course it is in your line of sight, that is the whole point of mounting your sat-nav screen up where the traffic action is. With the screen raised the twin arms of the metal frame which supports it is also in your line of sight, but of course your eyes and brain working together are able to ignore the obstruction.

We are not talking about a pair of fixed optics here, our vision is stereoscopic, dynamic and selective and we are able to see around objects which appear close to us in our field of view. If you doubt this hold your hand at arm's length, spread your fingers and concentrate on objects in the distance. You will be visually aware of your fingers, of course, but they will probably not have the obscuring effect you may have expected. The attached photo shows where my Zumo 550 is placed and I can say that I honestly don't see it unless I want to check some detail or other on its screen. I am convinced that this option is safer than BRP's prefered mount.

I am very pleased with the way this has worked out. I've got about 6,000 miles on the installation now and it has remained rock solid and reliable over many different types of road. Of course if the road surface is so bad that it causes the Spyder to bounce up and down you are going to get some unavoidable movement in the sat-nav but mounted on its short arm (3") the screen remains generally rock steady and readable. I also find that the Spyder's windscreen protects my Garmin from the worst of the rain, too, which is a bonus I hadn't planned for!

SatNav B 002.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 11-10-2012 at 04:16 AM.

Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,

Spyder Garage

Now here is a really scary sat-nav mount attached to a BeeEmm 1200 RT. Can you imagine the damage this device would cause to the male anatomy if the rider was to slide up the tank at 60 mph in a head-on collision?

IMG_1204.jpg
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 04-06-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

Here's another option.

Spyder Garage

I'm not keen on making holes so I just used a longer bolt in the upper left bolt hole on the dashboard for a RAM mount. The wiring goes through the speaker grill opening back to the battery. Unplugging the analog fuel gauge turns on the digital one in the main cluster, so it doesn't matter that the gps sits in front of the gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RodO View Post
    I'm not keen on making holes so I just used a longer bolt in the upper left bolt hole on the dashboard for a RAM mount. The wiring goes through the speaker grill opening back to the battery. Unplugging the analog fuel gauge turns on the digital one in the main cluster, so it doesn't matter that the gps sits in front of the gauge.

That's a great idea! I think my only concern would be that the threads the bolt screws into are, I believe, brass and would be susceptible to stripping if you tighten the bolt too much. And you need to be sure you have that on snug otherwise the GPS is gonna bounce around. Were you able to tighten the bolt down enough to where you have minimal to no shaking on the GPS? It looks like you used a standard bolt, what length is it?

Spyder Garage

That's a great idea! I think my only concern would be that the threads the bolt screws into are, I believe, brass and would be susceptible to stripping if you tighten the bolt too much. And you need to be sure you have that on snug otherwise the GPS is gonna bounce around. Were you able to tighten the bolt down enough to where you have minimal to no shaking on the GPS? It looks like you used a standard bolt, what length is it?
    Sorry but I don't remember the bolt length. There's zero shake and is still snug and rock solid after very nearly 16,000 km which is almost 10,000 miles.
    I like that position as its high and easy to see without having to drop your head, and not in the line of sight to block anything from view on the road, and in easy reach while riding.

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Nice Options and thanks for share'n with the rest of the Spyder-Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Hey Lamont, Teddy had me also try this position first after we disconnected the analogue gauges
    We have since switched (like I think you have as well) to the top of the dash & am very pleased with it there
    Did you notice any issues with sun-glare on the screen of the GPS while ride'n at certain times of the day?

Nice think'n outside the box Have you noticed any issues with Sun-Glare while ryde'n at cetain times of the day?

This set-up is what Teddy likes BEST and it works well for us

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If there is a Bass Pro Shop near you they have a very large selection of Ram Mounts and accesories.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Have you noticed any issues with Sun-Glare while ryde'n at cetain times of the day?
    With the sun full on it, sure there is glare -- but that's really only early or late in the day, so I ride to the east in the morning and into the sunset at the end of the day...
    IMG_0594.jpg
    Last edited by RodO; 04-06-2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: added photo

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

Spyder Garage

With the sun full on it, sure there is glare -- but that's really only early or late in the day, so I ride to the east in the morning and into the sunset at the end of the day...
    IMG_0594.jpg
    You avoid glare off your sat-nav screen by riding into the sun, there and back?
    Sheesh! You are going to ruin your complexion...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I goofed whne I put the hole in the dash top where I did as it required the longer RAM arm to position it right for me. That made it bouncy so I kluged a little wedge of wood to stabilize it then used the handymans favorite duct tape to cover my kluge.

I am very tall and took the second picture from eye level. even though it seems to be so high up as to block vision it really sits just under my regular line of sight and gives me an unobstructed view of the road with only a little eye movement to see the GPS. Not my best install but I am happy with the result.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jgwoods View Post
    I goofed whne I put the hole in the dash top where I did as it required the longer RAM arm to position it right for me. That made it bouncy so I kluged a little wedge of wood to stabilize it then used the handymans favorite duct tape to cover my kluge.
    All is not lost, this unfortunate installation can be saved! As an expert in correcting stuff after I've screwed up, I would suggest starting again from scratch. Your incorrectly-positioned hole can be filled in and neatly hidden with a rubber blank, they usually sell them where they sell rubber grommets and cost very little money. When that is done you can make a new hole, but this time you should measure where to put it at least 3 times to make sure it's in the right place!

Most of the bounce you experienced the first time around came from having such a long arm, (to reach the hole you drilled in the wrong place ). This time use a short 3" arm. When mounting the arm place a penny washer about 30 mm in diam both under and over the mounting hole. This will stiffen up the plastic nicely and take away any tendency for it to flex under the weight of the arm/sat-nav combination.

I hope you don't mind getting some well-intentioned, friendly British advice.
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 11-10-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Spyder Garage

Took a lot of advise from the people that posted here and ended up tearing my Spyder apart and installing my Zumo 660 up high. It was a pain in the tail, but I am very happy with the outcome. Just wish I would have realized before I got it all back together that I had one screw left over. Oh well lesson learned, will find where it goes during my next mod......
    2015 RT-S SE6
    USAF Retired 1973-1994

Support our Troops

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wink CONGRATS, looks good! & we've ALL got a few screws loose, or left over

Job well done

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmMick View Post
    Took a lot of advise from the people that posted here and ended up tearing my Spyder apart and installing my Zumo 660 up high. It was a pain in the tail, but I am very happy with the outcome.
    Good job. Don't worry about the left over screw, the Spyder was designed to lose at least one at every stripdown. The RAM mount you've used has a good-sized footprint, I'm betting your satnav sits as steady as a rock. You might want to blacken those shiny mounting nuts though, when the light is right you will see those little suckers reflected in your windscreen. They only do it 'cos they enjoy being an irritation. Not that I'm paranoid.

Spyder Garage

Just do it yourself. It is not difficult. I bought the Zumo 660 online from amazon and the BRP mount for the handlebars. The BRP instructions for installing the GPS mount are great so I did the install myself.

After nearly rear ending SEVERAL cars because the GPS was SO FREAKING FAR OUT OF MY LINE OF SIGHT I moved it up high after seeing CyncySpyders mounted on top. Took me about 2.5 hours to move it, it is installed EXACTLY the way BRP would do it using all the same wiring. The only difference is the position.

Piece of cake!
    Last edited by kinggeek; 04-13-2012 at 12:14 AM.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac