Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What is wrong with this picture!!??

Weather wise, yesterderday was a perfect day for ryding! It was the first chance my wife had to try out the new Spyder RT Limited Edition since she was out of town when I picked it up. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be a perfect day.

I am so mad that I can't even discuss it right now. What is wrong with this picture? It expains a lot!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    Weather wise, yesterderday was a perfect day for ryding! It was the first chance my wife had to try out the new Spyder RT Limited Edition since she was out of town when I picked it up. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be a perfect day.

I am so mad that I can't even discuss it right now. What is wrong with this picture? It expains a lot!
    Looks like someone didn't secure your trailer wiring harness. I would be too.

Spyder Garage

Here's what mine looks like.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamonster! I sent my photo and your photos to the dealership, waiting for a phone call.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamonster! I sent my photo and your photos to the dealership, waiting for a phone call.
    I have a RT Limited with the trailer option and I don't have any trailer cables exposed. Trailer lights all work normally so the installer must have run the cable differently.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    I have a RT Limited with the trailer option and I don't have any trailer cables exposed. Trailer lights all work normally so the installer must have run the cable differently.
    That's really strange.
    I know if you order it after the fact it is installed like mine unless they changed something.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    That's really strange.
    I know if you order it after the fact it is installed like mine unless they changed something.
    I ordered my RT LTD back on Qct 20th. A month later I called my dealer and had him add the RT-622 trailer to my order. When my Spyder arrived at the dealership I was told that both the Spyder and trailer were on the same truck. Could it be that it was pre-wired at the factory?
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I ordered my RT LTD back on Qct 20th. A month later I called my dealer and had him add the RT-622 trailer to my order. When my Spyder arrived at the dealership I was told that both the Spyder and trailer were on the same truck. Could it be that it was pre-wired at the factory?
    I'm going to make a phone call on that.

Spyder Garage

The trailer harness can be routed behing the bodywork. I did mine like yours. It is the safest solution, IMO, and does not require adding a hold-down bracket.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The trailer harness can be routed behing the bodywork. I did mine like yours. It is the safest solution, IMO, and does not require adding a hold-down bracket.
    Is that how your instructions showed it? I'm pretty sure mine didn't but the dealer did the install.

Spyder Garage

Now that I've calmed down, here is the rest of the story.

Yesterday, was my wife's first time riding the new Spyder. 7 miles from home she said the dash "lit up like a Christmas tree" and the Spyder immediately went into limp home mode... in busy traffic on a secondary road. I was following behind and immediately put on my hazard flashers and we got off the four lane divided secondary road as soon as we could. I believe a trucker who was behind us realized we were in trouble and was staying behind us to block traffic. I checked the fuses and the brake light fuse was blown. I replaced it and that got us home and all appeared normal except the left rear blinker wasn't working.

I spent a lot of time taking the back end apart to change the blinker bulb thinking that was all that it needed. That didn't work. It wasn't until later in the evening that I discovered what had really happened to the wiring harness. Now I am worried that I might have computer issues with the Spyder, if not now, down the road!

Still waiting for a call back from the dealership.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Is that how your instructions showed it? I'm pretty sure mine didn't but the dealer did the install.
    They don't aren't clear, either way. I routed mine there to avoid problems. It doesn't look like it would fit, but there is enough flex in the panels to allow it.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 04-13-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My Trailer Harness is installed like Y Riders. The techs at Cowtown did the install, took about 20 minutes, nothing shows except the plug out the bottom of the bag.

Spyder Garage

I also noticed the grommets were all pushed in and one was really chewed up. I’m lucky I didn’t lose a panel on the ride! The middle panel had the same issue with the grommets. I thought I saw a post that these were supposed to be glued or in the case of the RT Limited, something else was done to keep the grommets in place?
    It seems to me that most of the problems concerning grommets can be eliminated with the application of a small amount of silicone grease. Inserting a dry peg into an unlubricated rubber grommet is sure to result in loads of friction. How could it be otherwise? Dow Corning's MS4 Silicone Grease, or similar silicone product, will have NO adverse long-term effect on the rubber of the grommet and slipping panels off and on becomes easy-peasy instead of a PITA. Trust me!!!
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 04-14-2011 at 05:00 AM. Reason: English as it is written, not spoken!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Idaspud View Post
    If all goes well and all the stars and planets line up I will be picking up my new 2011 RTS tomorrow and would greatly love to have the pre delivery check list prior to leaving the dealership. Any help on this folks of the forum. in advance thank you.

Idaspud

Spyder Lover all mostthis is me inside
    No more almost a Spyder owner, picked up my little arachnid yesterday and love it.

Very Happyowner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    It seems to me that most of the problems concerning grommets can be eliminated with the application of a small amount of silicone grease. Inserting a dry peg into an unlubricated rubber grommet is sure to result in loads of friction. How could it be otherwise? Dow Corning's MS4 Silicone Grease, or similar silicone product, will have NO adverse long-term effect on the rubber of the grommet and slipping panels off and on becomes easy-peasy instead of a PITA. Trust me!!!
    I am not a fan of the silicone grease or spray, because it allows the pegs to slip out as easily as they went in. I prefer to wet the pegs. This allows them to slip in, then dries, so they come out with a bit more difficulty. I use spit, but water works just as well.

The 2010 Spyder has seen some small design/assembly changes in the side cover grommets. The front two remain ovals, but seem to be quite securely glued in place. The rear grommet is round, and is much harder to push through. I am not sure, but it may have been relocated, too. It is still very important to make sure to secure the hook at the top rear of the middle side panel under the mating panel. The easiest way to do this is to attach the rear of the panel first, the opposite of removal. The grommets on the other panels remain ovals, and still push through fairly readily. I recommend gluing them in. I use RTV silicone, and let it cure overnight before installing the panels.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    It is still very important to make sure to secure the hook at the top rear of the middle side panel under the mating panel. The easiest way to do this is to attach the rear of the panel first, the opposite of removal. The grommets on the other panels remain ovals, and still push through fairly readily. I recommend gluing them in. I use RTV silicone, and let it cure overnight before installing the panels.
    Just a small example of the value of Spyderlovers.com is how it puts new Spyder riders like me in touch with the wisdom of people who have owned their machines longer and so have already dealt with problems. You're absolutely right, the plastic hook is critical to the security of the Middle Side Panel, if it isn't hooked up you could easily lose it. Even after avidly reading the Operator's Guide more than once I wasn't aware of it!

Forgive me, but I now have a mental image of you spitting on your grommets! Let's be careful out there, you never know who's watching...

Spyder Garage

Just wondering if you got with your dealership and the results. Hope they get it fixed quickly.
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Thanks for asking! They are picking it up at 4pm. The dealership is 45 minutes away. They asked me what will make me happy. I told them I wanted it repaired in my own garage while I watched. Of course they said they couldn't do that since they have to hook it up to the BUDS to fix the rear shock in addition to replacing the wiring harness. They will have a covered trailer so that's good. I'm expecting them to deliver it back to me at my house by Saturday.

Lamonster, did you ever get an answer from BRP about the wiring harness being inside or exposed?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    Forgive me, but I now have a mental image of you spitting on your grommets! Let's be careful out there, you never know who's watching...
    Nah, I don't spit on the grommets.....I just lick the pegs. Try and get rid of that mental image!

Actually, the easiest thing is to just wet your finger, and run it around the hole in the grommet.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for asking! They are picking it up at 4pm. The dealership is 45 minutes away. They asked me what will make me happy...
    Randy, really sorry you have to put up with these initial set-up problems. But once you get them out of the way you'll have a you're in love with!
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Thanks, the truck and trailer showed up promptly at 4pm!

Spyder Garage

Still waiting for an update from the dealership. I was hoping to get it back today.

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT Limited - Take 2

I just got off the phone with the dealership, they are going to deliver it back to me tomorrow when I get off work!

The trailer wiring harness was replaced with a new one and is no longer visible. The rear suspension Campaign was also completed. A few other minor issues were looked at and now I just need some descent weather!
    Last edited by Rando; 04-18-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

I asked about your Spyder when I stopped by Saturday for my water mangement kit. Of course it was pouring at the time - they said it was done but they wanted to be able to test ride before delivering it back to you. So now we have snow instead of rain. Anyway, good luck and I hope they've got it all fixed up.
    Dan