Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XM Satellite

Spyder Garage

Default XM Satellite

Hi all

Just playing with my 2011 RTS Limited and really like the radio and how it sounds at all speeds , only problem is when you loose the station. So I thought I would add the XM .

My question is do I also need the entertainment harness or do I already have it with the radio ?

Thanks in advance for your replies .

I think I already know the answer because why would BRP miss an opportunity to get more money out of you !
    Happy Owner

SpyderRyderTV

I believe you are going to need the entertainment harness, because it only comes with the CB installment package from the factory. I went to ebay and bought the harness for $82.00 and the XM radio for $320.00. Both are BRP.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been wondering about this too! I thought that the entertainment harness had more to do with headsets... Can anybody tell us why it's needed when you're only adding another reception band to the radio?
    (Boy; is my ignorance showing or what??? )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

SpyderRyderTV

The AM/FM only has the one plug and the amplifier for the sound system and when you want to use the CB/XM you need to be able to plug them in to the radio for amp. The cable provides more plugs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks! Maybe they should just bundle the harness in with these pieces so that everybody gets what they need in one package...

SpyderRyderTV

But then that wouldn't be good capitalism - they need the money - more money.

Spyder Garage

The XM radio install instructions makes no mention of the entertainment harness, however the entertainment harness install instructions mentions the harness connectors on left hand side of vehicle- 1. Passenger headsets audio output. 2. XM radio connector. 3. Connection to rear cargo harness But don't you need the CB communication center to have the music piped in your helmet? or are you planning on just listening through the external speakers?

Spyder Garage

Probably not helpful for integration bit I have not been happier since I dumped my in-vehicle xm receiver and bow just use the web app. Works on my computers, phone, Internet radio w/o having to worry about receiver placement or portability.
    Sam Mancuso

Our "his and hers" Spyders. Read more about them at theotherwheel.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

... and here I am still figuring out how to tune that dang radio!
    I was thinking that maybe an XM or Sirius setup would let me use just ONE station...MUCH simpler!

Spyder Garage

with Bob . I don't know if its me or what, but setting channels on the radio is a pain in the a$$.
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Changing stations is a PITA part of it is the buttons aren't easy to use with gloves (like the turn signals) and the other part is the way it scans stations. When you scan it starts from a preset say 89.0 and goes up. Say you push the scan a couple of times and you are up to 100 then you pause for a few seconds the hit scan again. Instead of it starting to scan from 100 it goes back to 89 and you have to start all over again. In a car if you pause scanning it will stop where it is and hitting scan again will start from where you just stopped.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is off the subject slightly, but I was having trouble getting stations on my BRP XM radio. This gentleman told me to go to "catagories" and then assign stations to that catagory. It worked and I wish to thank him....I forgot his handle and can not find his helpful post.

I set a few XM stations and then my finger started to hurt...

When I become King, I am going to have the designer of this "tuning" method program every RT XM radio BRP has sold in the last two years.

What a PITA!!

BRP made a mistake not buying a Gold Wing and copying their equipment manufactures, etc. and tuning processes. Easy!!

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

I thought about purchasing the XM radio for my RT, but since I have 2 vehicles, adding a 3rd one would jack up the price.

I instead use the XM (now SiriusXM) app on my iPhone. The only problem with this is that if I go where there is no 3G signal I lose music and I can only change stations if I pull over. I can use it via a bluetooth adapter and place my phone on my RAM mount in the handlebars to see who's playing, but still need to pull over to change stations.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Why on earth would anyone pay about $500 to add XM from BRP, when you can add it your self with an aftermarket XM radio like the Pioneer XMp3 unit?

($500 = $100 entertainment harness + $400 Xm module from BRP).

Other XM radios are available too. Just use the MP3 cable that plugs in the rear trunk.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sopher View Post
    Why on earth would anyone pay about $500 to add XM from BRP, when you can add it your self with an aftermarket XM radio like the Pioneer XMp3 unit?

($500 = $100 entertainment harness + $400 Xm module from BRP).

Other XM radios are available too. Just use the MP3 cable that plugs in the rear trunk.
    The main reason is the same as why you would use a iPod instead of another mp3 player, it's built in so you can change stations and not just adjust the volume. That and it's waterproof.

I agree the XM is a pain to adjust and I hope they change that in future RT's.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why $500 XM radio? In 1995, when I bought my first Wing, I hung a lot of junk on it and it looked like I was in a circus parade. I took most of it off. When I bought my 2002 Wing, I put little on it, but did add a cheap XM radio, which worked great. It looked like it was "hung on" and when I decided to buy the RT, I thought I will have the dealer put the accessories on and not fool with it. (I am not a wrench and know my limitations)

After I ordered the RT, I went to the San Antonio motorcycle show. My dealer was there and insisted I ride the Spyder demos that BRP was sponsoring....they had about ten Spyders there and I rode the RT. AFTER I rode, she gave me a $500 gift certificate and said "I was not supposed to tell you about this, but here is your XM radio...ha ha"

This was better than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Best deal on a XM that I've herd of .
    Happy Owner

RT-S PE#0440
    Spyder Garage

Default What model of Sirius radio is BRP selling?

Glad to see I am not the only one having difficulty using my XM. Frankly, I use my iPod most days, but last week we did a long ride with the iPod on the blink, so I was looking forward to using the XM.

I seem to only get one station and no-one seems to be able to tell me how to program/select others. Does anyone know which model of Sirius XM the BRP unit is? Then I could download the manual.

For those of you who have used your XM frequently, what is your experience with reception? On this trip we rode about 3000 miles around the Northwestern US. In cities the XM was ok, but once outside the city, in the mountains, along the coast, the signal constantly dropped. When the signal returned, the radio had returned itself to the base channel, not the one I was on? I don't know if this is an XM normal condition, an issue with my radio or an issue with XM in any Spyder RT.

Any info would be appreciated. I am close to cancelling my XM subscription. And write off the cost of the unit in my 2010 RT-S to experience.....

Spyder Garage

One thing worth considering is upgrading the limited's GPS to the Zumo 665. I know the 2012's come with a 660 but don't know about the 2011's.

If you have the 660, the 665 should use the same mount, the 665 comes with the XM puck.

You then have the option to sell your Zumo 660 and get some money back. The 665 and puck can be moved between spyder and car mount. That way you get XM in what ever ride you mount the 665 with only one subscription. Plus you can add weather and traffic which you can not via the BRP unit.

I had the XM puck on my old Zumo 550 and moved them between car and bikes loved it. I wish the limited's came with the 665. I'm keeping my eye out for deal of the day's from amazon or best buy, if one goes on sale I will upgrade.

If you could find the BRP XM radio at the right price it would nice to have everything "built" in and running off the same interface. But the Zuno is a nice alternative.

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    One thing worth considering is upgrading the limited's GPS to the Zumo 665. I know the 2012's come with a 660 but don't know about the 2011's.

If you have the 660, the 665 should use the same mount, the 665 comes with the XM puck.

You then have the option to sell your Zumo 660 and get some money back. The 665 and puck can be moved between spyder and car mount. That way you get XM in what ever ride you mount the 665 with only one subscription. Plus you can add weather and traffic which you can not via the BRP unit.

I had the XM puck on my old Zumo 550 and moved them between car and bikes loved it. I wish the limited's came with the 665. I'm keeping my eye out for deal of the day's from amazon or best buy, if one goes on sale I will upgrade.

If you could find the BRP XM radio at the right price it would nice to have everything "built" in and running off the same interface. But the Zuno is a nice alternative.

Harry
    For my upcoming Sypder RT Limited purchase I was planning on getting the CB & Communications kit and was waffling on the XM. Will the Zumo 665 integrate with this with navigation and XM radio both coming through the wired headsets?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aperkin View Post
    For my upcoming Sypder RT Limited purchase I was planning on getting the CB & Communications kit and was waffling on the XM. Will the Zumo 665 integrate with this with navigation and XM radio both coming through the wired headsets?
    The Zumo GPS supplied with the RT limited is the 660 and is not capable of receiving XM radio, no xm puck port or software.

The zumo 665 comes with the XM puck but is not offered by BRP, you would have to buy it separately.

Integration with the CB and passenger communication kit, this is where it gets tricky.

The way BRP as the GPS harness wired the GPS as priority over EVERYTHING. If you're listening to the radio or ipod and GPS wants to give you a direction, that direction will take priority over the sound and the directions will be heard.

There is nothing magic about this, the system senses an audio signal from the GPS and allows the sound to take over. If you do upgrade to the 665 the system would just assume that you have directions all the time if the xm was playing. No issue with the radio or ipod as you're listening to the xm via GPS. But i'm not sure if you would hear the CB kick in.

Having the integrated BRP xm installed is properly the best option, the zumo 665 xm is another option that allows you to move it from vehicle to vehicle.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

I called sirius/xm radio and inquired about their special......I got a basic xm radio for $7. plus I paid $50 for a $50 gift certificate.....and they threw in the mounts for the car which I am using on my Spyder.I set it to a station and set the Spyder radio to that station and I get wonderful reception for a few bucks......no fuss.....I have another motorcycle so I got the motor mount for that, too.....nice!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default XM Satellite

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post

Having the integrated BRP xm installed is properly the best option, the zumo 665 xm is another option that allows you to move it from vehicle to vehicle.

harry
    Thanks for the feedback. Probably will stick with the BRP XM option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

I also wanted to upgrade to the Zumo 665 from the standard 660 However, while reading the Garmin website, I discovered that although the 660 and 665 mounts look identical, they aren't, and the 665 won't work on the RT's mount.
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac

Spyder Garage

One of the first mods I did 2-1/2 years ago was to mount my Zumo 550 with XM on my RT. I mounted it in the center of the handlebars and the XM antenna/tuner on the clutch fluid reservoir lid. I ran a line from the audio out on the Zumo cradle to a female headphone jack I mounted in the rear trunk a couple of inches below the Aux In jack back there. Using the cable BRP gave me with the RT, I added a 90-degree adapter (shrink wrapped together) and plugged the two jacks together.

I now use my GPS, XM & built in MP3 player through the AUX input of the RT's stereo. Everything is right in front of me.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly