Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Multiple issues with 2010 RT

Has anyone else has significant issues with their 2010 RT? We have had a seemingly never ending set of issues with the bike and it only has 2000 miles on it. The bike doesn't like to start when it is hot. The analog tachometer quit working. Then the Limp Home mode came on the bike and we had to trailer it to the dealer. After two weeks in the dealer (Barnies in St. Petersburg, FL) and a call to Carlo in Canada, we finally got the bike back, though the dealership just reprogrammed the module which didn't give me a great deal of comfort. Now, just a couple months later, the most disturbing experience of all, the throttle started to stick in the open position. Talk about a scary ride. The turn signals stopped canceling and the tachometer quit again. It is back in a dealership closer to home. They had to order a new module from Canada and are hoping that will at least fix the electrical issues.

I am frustrated to say the least. I love the bike, but I am really fed up with all of the continual issues. We ran into a few other Spyder owners this weekend at the Leesburg Bike Fest in Leesburg, FL. No one else seems to have these issues.

Am I just the unlucky one to get a lemon for a Spyder?

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by klabedz View Post
    Has anyone else has significant issues with their 2010 RT? We have had a seemingly never ending set of issues with the bike and it only has 2000 miles on it. The bike doesn't like to start when it is hot. The analog tachometer quit working. Then the Limp Home mode came on the bike and we had to trailer it to the dealer. After two weeks in the dealer (Barnies in St. Petersburg, FL) and a call to Carlo in Canada, we finally got the bike back, though the dealership just reprogrammed the module which didn't give me a great deal of comfort. Now, just a couple months later, the most disturbing experience of all, the throttle started to stick in the open position. Talk about a scary ride. The turn signals stopped canceling and the tachometer quit again. It is back in a dealership closer to home. They had to order a new module from Canada and are hoping that will at least fix the electrical issues.

I am frustrated to say the least. I love the bike, but I am really fed up with all of the continual issues. We ran into a few other Spyder owners this weekend at the Leesburg Bike Fest in Leesburg, FL. No one else seems to have these issues.

Sorry to hear this about your bike but I also had repeated problems from my 2010 RTS and after 4 mos of taking it back to the dealer for many of the same problems I traded it and went back to two wheels. I am still waiting and watching the RTS and when I feel they have the bugs out of them I may rejoin the Spyder family.
    2020 RTL

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

It has happened far too many times. I really think BRP would have been ahead of the game if they had developed the electronic controls themselves instead of adapting them from a four wheel vehicle. I suppose they saved a lot of development costs by using an automotive system, unfortunately it didn't transfer well. I asked the BRP top brass if the engineers developing the Spyders actually rode motorcycles, they took offense . Anyway, mine is gone. I sincerely hope the new owners enjoy it, it was not a rewarding experience for me.

Dwight

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure how to respond but for to say that I have had no issues, and certainly none as you described. I've heard a few (see above) that had some, but I think the overall consensus is that the RTS is or has been a reliable machine for them.

Although I haven't had occassion to deal with Carlo, I have heard nothing but good reviews for those few people that have had issues with their RTS.

You are close to Clearwater and I have heard (on this forum) nothing but GREAT comments about the dealership there. I would be inclined to take it to them for a second opinon and see what they have to say.

I'm sorry that this is happening to you. There is so much enjoyment that you will receive. Hang in there. Persevere with getting these glitches fixed. You'll be glad that you did.

Chris PE# 0004

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I know how you feel. I am the new owner of a 2011 RS-S and have had sever problems already. To my knowledge I have 3 or 4 open warranty issues waiting for parts from Canada. I am going to stick with it, (maybe a glutton for punishment ) even though it is my daily driver.

I think, from what I have heard on here, that BRP has made stride in the right direction on there support. Keep us posted on how this works out for you. Good luck.
    I had to sell my spyderstill love the Spyderlovers

Duane

Spyder Garage

Zero problems with my RS (other than one dealer error), and now, only a minor coolant leak on my RT - fixed. No other problems at all.

On a par with my:

V-rod(s)
    K1200LT
    GL1500 (GW)

Only my Valkyries have been totally bulletproof, without a single fault.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

IMO, Most RTS owners are pretty happy and have had relatively few glitches with their machines. I'm going on 15,000 RTS miles and have only had the "bouncing gas gauge" happen to me. Two other spyders--almost 40,000 miles---1 computer issue at 1500 miles---no other problems.

I am beginning to suspect that dealer mechanical competence and set-up have a lot to do with some of the issues that are happening. The is a very technical machine, and I don't think that anyone can just jump in and start working on the bike. There needs to be training and oversite on the mechanical end.

Various threads will also direct you to where the service is good, and where the service is not---it might be good to check that out.

Sorry you have had issues--keep us posted. Most lovers are pleased with their machines.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-08-2011 at 03:18 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I also had an issue with my RTS of the analog tach not working. The dealer said it was because of a loose battery cable. Make sure they have checked that. That could cause multiple problems.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rpeiffer View Post
    I also had an issue with my RTS of the analog tach not working. The dealer said it was because of a loose battery cable. Make sure they have checked that. That could cause multiple problems.

My Heaps:

2010 Spyder RT-AC SE5

1987 BUICK Turbo T - TURBO SBC Project still in the works - (11.3 @ 121 without the turbo installed N/A)

RIP - 1982 OLDS CUTLASS 11.02 @ 129.2mph

Sold -- 1987 BUICK Turbo T W02 11.61 @ 118mph

Sold -- 2004 DODGE SRT-4 S2 13.0 @ 111.9 mph

"...there's two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will see 'em,
    but the only thing that matters is that little line between 'em..."

Spyder Garage

2010 RTS, purchased 4/24/10 and have right at 15000 miles on it, only issue to date was a broken parking brake actuator. We have riden the mountains, beach, day trip up to ohio, 99 degrees to 13 degrees and would not hesitate to jump on it and go cross country. That said, I would not go anywhere without my tools, but this is the same for my truck, car, and RV.
    The analog gauges got disconnected and changed out a long time ago, I benefit with more acurate gauges (digital) and more info (volts, oil pressure). An oil pressure gauge beats a dummy light any day of the week in my opinion.

Spyder Garage

I have had my Spyder for 13 months now and the only trouble I have had was a timely handling of the factory recalls. It has been an awesome machine!
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.

Spyder Garage

On a large sample of units there will always be some that "look like Lemons".. That has been my experience with virtually every unit I have purchased of anything sophisticated and electronic (I remind people sometimes that the spyder is a much a computer as it is a motorcycle). I haven't had much trouble in 12000 miles with mine but I have been the victim of bad random chance such as you experience with other purchases. Sorry for you, but don't think its indicative of the RT Spyder at large. Best advice I see is find a class dealer - so far that has been the best fix for every trouble situation I have heard of.
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

My wife now has 9,000 miles on her 2010 RT with no significant problems. Most trouble had to do with prompt attention on the recalls but she has trained the dealer closest to us by camping out in their lounge until the bike is worked on.... sometimes for the entire day! She drove them crazy on the DPS upgrade.

See what the new dealer you are using does with the bike.... it may well be that the training the tech receives is the key to solving many problems. As others have said... this is more than a bike.

rickrae

Spyder Garage

Only problem I've had was a leaking rear suspension, taken care of under warranty during DPS recall fix.

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BikerDoc;303796]On a large sample of units there will always be some that "look like Lemons".. That has been my experience with virtually every unit I have purchased of anything sophisticated and electronic (I remind people sometimes that the spyder is a much a computer as it is a motorcycle). QUOTE]
    and my RT has been trouble-free!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Very few minor issues. that dealer issues are more of a problem than the its self. I still have the bouncy fuel gauge only because I haven't pushed the dealer to replace it.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Just turned a little over 2000 miles and have had two (minor) problems that were promptly dealt with by my dealer. 1. Bouncing fuel gauge - replaced at the 600 mile service; 2. Sticking (and intermittently not working) analog speedometer (1525 miles when this happened) - dealer replaced the cluster without hesitation. No other issues to date.
    $Bill
    '10 Orbital Blue RT-S SE5
    '15 White/Black F3S SE6
    '13 Victory Cross Country Blacked Out - TRADED
    "No matter where you go, there you are"

USAF 1963-1987, US Fed Courts 1987-2010
    Retired 2010-?

Spyder Garage

I've had no problems in over 11000 miles. With that said, may I suggest you try either West Coast Powersports in Clearwater, or my dealer, Motorsports of Tampa. If you go to Tampa ask to have Charlie work on your bike. He did all my Wing work, and now does all my Spyder work and he's fantastic. Mike Dean is the Service Manger and a great guy to work with. Their phone number is: 813-968-7888.

Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Had tach. Problem once but only have 300 miles on the 2011 RTS SE5

Pete

Spyder Garage

I had a 08 GS/RS with nine thousand miles on it. No problems that I remember. My RT has a little over seven thousand on it. No problems except limp mode for braking. There were several posts on here about it. It can be fixed by turning the off and waiting a few seconds then back on. A very slight pressure on the brake pedal without actually using it will put it in limp mode. I think it was likde 60 seconds or so, maybe less. Make sure you are not doing this. AT SITS ( I think ). A BRP rep confirmed this.
    I suggest you keep reading the forum. A lot experts on here (not me )
    Oldmanzues.
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

8000 miles on my RT and the only non recall issue has been a cracked Oil Pressure Sensor, which sent me into Limp Mode. For information, BRP has redesigned the Sensor.
    Padre Spyder & Jenny
    Riding the Dream on a Dream Ride

Spyder Garage

Default Same issue showing up on another 2011 RT-S

[QUOTE=Hawk Eye;304163]Had tach. Problem once but only have 300 miles on the 2011 RTS SE5

We are seeing the analog tach issue now on our Spyder...is the fix really just checking the battery connection? (in earlier post) We noticed the issue is only when in the lower RPM's once up to normal running speed (55-65) analog and digital tach show the same number.
    The Girlz,
    2015 Red RT-S SE5
    2015 Denim Blue ST-Limited SE5
    Black 2010 RT-622

Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RT

11000 mile no issues except for RIDER ERROR ! " Happy Camper. Where am I ? We just arrived off the Blue Ridge Parkway into Ashville, N.C. For Bike Show. Weather was perfect until we arrived and the rain and thunder and a gully washer or is that a holler washer "life is good !
    wa3wheels How can u drop a raw egg onto a concrete floor without cracking it? *Any way you want, concrete floors are very hard to crack.

Spyder Garage

Just had the 12,000 miles service done. No problems at all. Great product. Own a 2010 RT and a 2009 RS. Would drive it cross country and day of the week.

Spyder Garage

I've owned my SE5 since Oct 2008 and its only been in the shop for issues other than recalls just one time I just had the 12k service done wow. $940 and a week without it. I've been one of the lucky ones. I love my Spyder best 21k I've ever spent

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk