Spyder Garage

Default CB communication what is the SpYder Channel

So this weekend I am gonna practice using and listening to others on my CB I have installed on my RT.

I read over the instructions on the CB & Comm system, pages 11-15 answered a ton of stuff I didn't know. My Dad was
    a ham radio operator and tried to teach me the Morris code about the same time I was interested in girls, so needless to say
    nothing registered ! except for his call letters being Whiskey-Bravo Six, November -Foxtrot- November. I thought that
    was the coolest.

So is there a SpyderLovers dedicated channel that I should be tuned to? I know "7" is set aside for emergency.

I think I have between 1-40 to set it to. When I ride out to Spyderfest through different states like AZ, NM,
    TX, AR & then MO. what channel do you set yours to? What are the truckers set to?

Also are there code words like smokie up ahead, or watch your 6? Serious, any info would be appreciated.

Also do people still say "over" or "over n out", "Ten- four", I know with my wife on vox, I always end with "Yes Honey"

Spyder Garage

Haven't had a CB for a number of years but CH 19 has always been the channel for 18 wheelers. As for the terms you asked 10-4, over and out, etc. It has always been radio politeness to use those terms. I always did. 10 codes can be helpful. you can google them. For the most part I used to just listen - kept the CB tuned to 19 and let the other folks do the talking - found all sorts of info by just listening.

I have not put a CB on my spyder yet but I want one. Cell phones have made them less popular it seems but I like the instant close communication ability it gives.

Good Luck and have a safe ryde.

Bill
    KAKR7514. been years since I used it but still remember my license number.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

http://www.livecbradio.com/cb-radio-10-codes.htm

Check this website for the "10 codes" though most are rarely used; 10-20 is normally said as "My 20 is..." or "What's your 20?"

"Plain speak" is totally acceptable with phrases such as "Standby", "I read you loud and clear", "Your transmission is broken (or garbled)", "Disregard my last", "Radio check. Over" (don't overuse this one)

Use "Break Break (and your channel") to establish initial contact. Eg. "Break, break one nine" if you are on channel nineteen. If on another channel, use each number in the channel rather than the channel itself. Eg. "Two two" instead of "Twenty-two"

Hope this helps
    Last edited by irish2themax; 04-08-2011 at 04:10 PM.
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Emergency Channel 7??

Saw that Channel 7 was mentioned for Emergencies. Actually, no. Channel 9 has long been the Police-monitored emergency channel.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    Saw that Channel 7 was mentioned for Emergencies. Actually, no. Channel 9 has long been the Police-monitored emergency channel.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Most Wingers use channel 1 or 3 as do many of the H-D riders. We use CH3 bike to bike when we ride (me on the Victory and Joyce on the Spyder)

Spyder Garage

3 would make sense for obvious reasons....

But having it tuned to 19 was always good for hearing where the smokies are........

So I guess if you want to chit-chat --- pick a channel-- if ya wanna speed-- 19 !

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default CB Memories

I remember when having a CB required an FCC license ... and call letters. My callsign was KPQ8439, and my handle was as it is here, "Silver Surfer." Back in those days, if someone 'sat' on Channel 9 (the emergency channel), they could get their license pulled. I belonged to a Tacoma, Washington Chapter of what I believe was RAI (Radio Amateurs International). CB'ers of the time used to have a 'home channel (mine was 11)," but would visit friends by "Channel Hopping," which was essentially, changing channels to yack with someone you knew hung out on another channel. My chapter/organization assigned "channel hopper numbers." Mine was 34 ... So, when when I signed on for the day, the customary announcement, would be, "This is The Silver Surfer, KPQ8439, the Tacoma Channel Hopper #34, 10-8 n' 10-10." Then someone would come in ... "Hey, Surfer," and the games would begin. Pretty soon everybody was yackin' away, but there was etiquette to follow. If you wanted in on the conversation or needed to interrupt momentarily to get ahold of someone else who monitors the channel, you had to wait for a space in the chat and say, "Breaker for (callsign or handle). The folks who were talking were expected to hold off for a couple of minutes to see if the breaker's party was on the air. If they were, the breaker would tell the person to meet them on another channel. Someone who wouldn't stop talking, or let a breaker in, and hogged up a channel was called a "bucketmouth." It was a good environment for people to learn patience, neighborliness, to be polite, and it was a lot of social fun. This would have been the 40-year-past ancestor of online chatting, blogging, texting, and of course ... the cell phone. I was a young soldier in the army at the time. The cars I could afford back in the early-mid seventies weren't in the greatest shape, but always had a working CB; which on a couple of instances on isolated highway came in very handy.

~ Surfer

PS: Today I put my CB problem to bed. From Hitechwireless.com, I ordered the Midland 85-722 packaged with a Ridercom headset and harness with S1 jack. Total: $169.00 and free shipping. The head set will fit all my helmets, allow me to use a PTT button velcro-wrapped on my handlbar. I will either sling the unit in a holster on my belt, wear it aross my front using a three-point holster; or strap it to my Kuryakyn Grand Tour Bag. It's all I need for bike-to-bike and I can hook it to an external antenna if I break down and need more range. Its battery life while rolling far exceeds a days ride; and then one can re-charge (while monitoring) in the motel room.
    Last edited by SilverSurfer; 04-09-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think it depends on the group you ride with and general location. I know of no universal channel for brands. We ride with 3 different HD groups and they all use a different channel. When SpyderDeb and I ride alone we use another channel.

Story: got in an argument with an 18-wheeler in Witchita, KS, a year ago. We were riding through and this dude came blasting through on Channel 5 with an obviously way overpowered system. I stated for SpyderDeb's info to move to a different channel. He jumped all over me for telling him to move. I explained that the comment was intended for my riding buddy, not him, to switch to a different channel. And then I commented that it was a-holes like him that were infringing on everyone's access to the CB frequencies. After a brief exchange, I got all choked up: I think he wanted to reach out and touch me..........real hard.

Ride safe!
    Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap