Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Ryde

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Talking First Ryde

today my finally came home!
    it got here about 11:40 AM so i proceeded to suit up (or should i say gear up?) and get on the road around noon!
    i had not ridden since 87/88 so i started real slow in the neighborhood. yep, i even started with the slow speed stop/starts it suggests in the manual. now i cannot say i did all the practice drills (as i had originally intended) but i got a reasonable feel.
    after a while of this i decided to get just a few miles under my belt so i rode my baby out to work (about 8 miles) and parked for a bit to show some co-workers, then realized "oh ! it's 2PM! guys i gotta ryde home and get a shower so i can come back to work! see you in about an hour!"
    so....just got home from work about an hour ago (i woulda posted earlier but i was reading other threads) and enjoyed a nice 47 degree ryde home. now i need some NON-summer gloves but my leather jacket, fully zipped, felt GREAT!

i was so excited to get my gear on and ryde i forgot to get any pics
    hope to get some pics and post them tomorrow (maybe even posted before work).
    since i spent plenty of time in the neighborhood (and local high school parking lot) i think i only logged 60 miles in my (roughly) 2 hours of ryding.
    hopefully tomorrow i can log closer to 100 more!!

at least now i won't be losing sleep every night daydreaming of ryding. now that she is home i can just walk out the door.....what monster hath been created?

RT-S PE#0100
    Spyder Garage

it only gets better from here. Just remember, don't hang on to tight and let the Spyder do the work.

Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

on your and first ride

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Good deal !

Spyder Garage

On your new .

We love pics .
    Happy Owner

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

so glad you enjoyed your ride and many more to come.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ride safe

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

SpyderRyderTV

KipDM, congrats on the homecoming of the and enjoy all the ryding that will come the future.

Spyder Garage

and . It looks like you have been bitten by they bug. You have the right idea about learning the techniques of riding the bike. After about 250-500 miles it will all come natural. Enjoy your new ryde.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

yeah, i hope so. i find i still want to go s l o w in turns, at least the "sharper" ones. and almost always lean into a turn, even slight ones. probably because at 305 lbs i don't want to run the risk of my fat butt stressing out the stability controller (and it going on strike LOL).

i also need to really work on left turns, i still roll on the throttle just a little when i try to maintain speed. for the short term i have adopted the "throttle off" approach to left turns, i figure it is much safer in traffic.

going out to take pics of my baby once i get the car moved....will post...if i don't jump on her and ride for another hour....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KipDM View Post
    i also need to really work on left turns, i still roll on the throttle just a little when i try to maintain speed. for the short term i have adopted the "throttle off" approach to left turns, i figure it is much safer in traffic.

going out to take pics of my baby once i get the car moved....will post...if i don't jump on her and ride for another hour....
    &

The one thing I did to keep the throttle steady when turning was put my thumb on the throttle body to act like a throttle lock. This keep me from turning the throttle as I rotated the turned the handbar.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

and !!!!!! Your life is going to change like you would not believe!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KipDM View Post
    yeah, i hope so. i find i still want to go s l o w in turns, at least the "sharper" ones. and almost always lean into a turn, even slight ones. probably because at 305 lbs i don't want to run the risk of my fat butt stressing out the stability controller (and it going on strike LOL).

When turning try looking ahead. This helped me when I first got the

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Great news!!! I know it felt good too!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Excellent.

Most Excellent KipDM !! Have fun.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Pete

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The fun is only beggining

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are on the road. Take it easy and continue practicing as you are now. Things will get easier with time to the point you won't even think about it anymore. Leaning into the turns is exactly what you are supposed to do on the Spyder, so you are good in that regard.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    &

The one thing I did to keep the throttle steady when turning was put my thumb on the throttle body to act like a throttle lock. This keep me from turning the throttle as I rotated the turned the handbar.
    thanks, i will try that tomorrow. of course knowing me i will accidentally turn on the hazard lights (like i did yesterday while getting on).
    since i am doing slow speed stuff in the neighborhood and then going to a parking lot i have still only put about 82 miles on her even though i have been riding it for almost 5 hours since she came home.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post

Glad to hear you are on the road. Take it easy and continue practicing as you are now. Things will get easier with time to the point you won't even think about it anymore. Leaning into the turns is exactly what you are supposed to do on the Spyder, so you are good in that regard.
    thanks, but i mean i even lean for 13 mph turns (usually sharpish in neighborhoods - and these i lean a lot for). once i am on an open road and just hitting "standard" turns in the road its more of a slight lean.

i have intentionally avoided "rush hours" because i go to work around 3PM at the latest and get off work after midnight.

and even though the gives more light than my car, i drive a lot slower at night (than i do in my car).

once everything is more natural, i may even start speeding again
    but as it is now, if i am not following a car, i tend to naturally go a little under the speed limit. some of that has been that it is very windy right now, and part is the getting used to wind buffeting me again. and of course some is that "unusual" vehicles get noticed....and therefore ticketed.
    Attached Images Attached Images