Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I rode 100 miles to breakfast this morning. BR1 did well in the twisties. I am getting used to the different ride from my Wing trike. I got 31 mpg today, runing 65-75 and not babying it....no short shifting and kept the rpm's up. I can certainly live with anything over 30 mpg.

I am now enjoying the paddle shift and hearing and feeling the auto downshifting when I come to a stop. My Burgman does this in different way with it's CVS transmission. The Burgman does not jerk as it downshifts....smoother....

FYI You can also shift the Burgman manually if you wish...simular to the SE5 shifting vs. twist and gooooooo on the Burgman.....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    My neighbor in the next place over from me has a number of vehicles, trucks, etc. He has a 250 gallon storage tank out back of his barn. At 0400 his bull is always asleep so I sneak over with a couple of 5 gallon gas cans and he never misses the gas.

Bout the only gas I get at 4 00 A.M., is in bed.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last night, I rode my RT for the first time at night. I was pleased with the killer headlights. They are better than my Wing's, which are very good.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I removed and repositioned my earpieces, as the dealer had not put them close to my ears (duh). I went out on IH10W and talked to and followed a trucker, lagging back about 1/2 mile and it seemed to work fine. I will ride with my group Saturday and check it out. My problem may be solved. Thanks for the inputs....

It seems to me BR1 is handling better as I guess I am learning more about riding it. I am liking it better each day....but only have 1,000 or so on it...I am still shy about the "limp mode" or sone other problem happening when I am out in the hill country....far from mankind, let alone a dealer or help....some roads I ride are seldom traveled and have no cell coverage. A mechanical failure would be a real problem for me.

As I build miles, this will go away, but not yet.

Last edited by Mr. White; 05-04-2011 at 09:26 AM.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

[
    I am running 18 in front and 30 in the rear, up from 26. Seems to handle better for me with these pressures. Shocks are set on 4.

Hi BR1
    When I picked up my new 2010 RTS on Saturday the dealer's technician told me that they run 25# in the front tire and 30# in the rear tire . The Tech also told me that they have found doing comparisons with using various tire pressures that this combination works best. He also says that he finds the Brp recommended tire pressure too soft. I have my front shocks set at No. 3 .
    From riding Sat I like this tire pressure combo I don't notice the body roll so much but I don't ride my Rt hard as I am a new rider .
    Marker

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    [
    I am running 18 in front and 30 in the rear, up from 26. Seems to handle better for me with these pressures. Shocks are set on 4.

Hi BR1
    When I picked up my new 2010 RTS on Saturday the dealer's technician told me that they run 25# in the front tire and 30# in the rear tire . The Tech also told me that they have found doing comparisons with using various tire pressures that this combination works best. He also says that he finds the Brp recommended tire pressure too soft. I have my front shocks set at No. 3 .
    From riding Sat I like this tire pressure combo I don't notice the body roll so much but I don't ride my Rt hard as I am a new rider .
    Marker
    25 in front seems high, but I have little experience with this. I will try 25 and see how it goes. Thanks.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

25 in front seems high, but I have little experience with this. I will try 25 and see how it goes. Thanks.
    Hi Big Red 1
    Just wondering if you tried your front tire pressure at 25# yet?

Marker

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Big Red 1

Marker

No, not yet. Just have not gotten around to doing it....I never do today what I can put off until tomorrow....ha ha

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hi Big Red 1

Marker

No, not yet. Just have not gotten around to doing it....I never do today what I can put off until tomorrow....ha ha

Hi BR1

I hear ya , espicially when you have a chance to go riding everything else can wait

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Originally Posted by BIG RED 1
    Hi Big Red 1

Marker

I put in 25 yesterday and rode to Bike Night, about 40 miles round trip. I took the Interstate in to San Antonio, but took the twistie road home (long way). BR1 handled better in the twisies with a firmer ride. It took the curves better, albeit, firmer. I will ride with my buddies Saturday and will see how it goes....so far, better I would say. Thanks.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Hi George,
    When I first rode mine I was twitching all over the place and rolling through the corners.
    I checked the pressures and fronts were 25 and rear 32.....
    I dropped to 20 fronts and 30 rear and bumped the front shocks to 1 off hardest, rear set to 1 off max (shocks were set to middle).
    Now she doesn't roll near as much in the corners and doesn't twitch all over the road.
    I might try dropping a few more pounds to see what happens, but so far quite happy with the way she is now handling.
    Of course with this puppy you have 3 wheels on the road giving you feedback from potholes ripples etc etc (I've only been on 2 before)
    Not a huge mileage yet (only 400 miles) but I'm working on it.
    Weather is cold and quite windy at the moment so getting a good impression of the handling is quite difficult.
    Of course the initial twitchiness could have been caused by my overcontrolling during first 2 rides.
    I'm amazed at how much more comfortable I feel riding her in only 1 week.
    Glad to hear you're getting the gas at the extra special price, sounds like excellent value to me.
    cheers
    Pete

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Originally Posted by BIG RED 1
    Hi Big Red 1

Marker

I put in 25 yesterday and rode to Bike Night, about 40 miles round trip. I took the Interstate in to San Antonio, but took the twistie road home (long way). BR1 handled better in the twisies with a firmer ride. It took the curves better, albeit, firmer. I will ride with my buddies Saturday and will see how it goes....so far, better I would say. Thanks.

Great I am glad that 25# helped you . I do not know how the Texas heat will affect your tire with 25# of air in them. Where I live it does not get as hot as it does in Texas
    Marker

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I rode with my usual bunch today, the Hill Country Road Riders, and we hit the twisties for about 40 miles. BR1 handled very well with 25 in front and 30 in the rear. It did not get real warm today, 60 when I left the house and a little over 80 when I got home. A perfect day.

The motorcycles were out. Other than rally days, I saw more scoots than I have in years. Many groups of 10-15 passing often....95% waving.

We rode a total of about 200 miles today, stopping at a favorite Mexican Cafe. I had two of their huge bacon egg tacos and coffee. I am still full.

I must have not filled my tank full as I got 32mpg....we did not ride hard, but did have a lot of slow and go in the twisties. Anyway, an all around great day. BR1 ran perfectly.

Last edited by Mr. White; 05-15-2011 at 04:53 PM.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was still not satisfied with my radio audio output in my headset of my FF helmet. Looked at the settings again, and....WOW, I found it. I guess the dealer or BRP had set the front/back percentage to the back....I set it to the front and have STRONG audio in my helmet.

I never read about it in the instructions and no one said anything about it. I had seen it on the settings but it was -50% and I thought that meant full audio up front.....wrong, it was full audio in back.

This will certainly help my CB performance, however, I have not tried the CB yet.

Ha, ha. Klutz 1, Audio 0!

I feel more of the bumps and ripples in the tarmac with 25# in the front tire and 30# in the rear. But BR1 handles better in the twisties....shocks set on 4. I will leave these pressures for a while.

Last edited by Mr. White; 05-15-2011 at 05:12 PM.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Orbital Blue RT-SE5
    Spyder Garage

Default 2002 GL1800 Goldwing Power

Hey Big Red,

I have a 2001 GL1800 Goldwing and they are powerful when maintained properly.

they have 118 H.P. @ 5500 rpm and 125 lb/ft of torque @ 4000 rpm

That much power at a much lower more driveable Rpm range. Too bad that goldwing Trike had a solid axle rear end and not a 1990's era Corvette Independent rear end, i have ridden them with that vette rear end and they are awesome and handle excellent and no sway.

About the RT Engine, I can see the this type of engine in the RS, but a touring bike should have more torque and low end grunt.

I finally do like my RT, it is getting better all the time, as Fixes come out from BRP, it gets better and has finally got to the point that it is actually enjoyable to ride, and has stopped being a major disappointment.

Hopefully BRP will continue to fix the RT Spyder.

westgl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last Saturday, 75 miles from home, riding 60-65, the "check DPS" screen comes on and a little spyder logo in the odometer window flashing on and off.

Rode it home and will take it to the dealer Wednesday. Will ride it today to see if it clears itself.

1450 miles on my 2011 Rt-S SE5.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rode 50+ miles today with NO problems. No check DPS, nothing. I ran on the Interstate 50-85, 8,500 rpms in 3rd for a short distance, crused 70-75....beautiful ride except it started getting hot....the WX, not BR1.

BR1 ran like a hose.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear it George.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dealer change out the steering sensor today....all okay now.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

2014 Spyder RT Limited, Lees-sure Excell camper, Aluma MCTXL Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rode 160 miles for breakfast with the Hill Country Road Riders. No problems. It was HOT! My temp gauge said 99 when I pulled in the driveway around 1300 hours. TV guys said it was 107 heat index with the Gulf breeze blowing in the humidity.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Rode 160 miles for breakfast with the Hill Country Road Riders. No problems. It was HOT! My temp gauge said 99 when I pulled in the driveway around 1300 hours. TV guys said it was 107 heat index with the Gulf breeze blowing in the humidity.

George, last summer my temp gauge was usually around 104. However, last summer was one of the hottest summers I've ever experienced here in Flarda, and I was born and raised here. It ain't gonna get any better.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Well now that I have some actual traveling miles under my belt (1600 in two days) i have to Say the rt is the right choice for me. It has ran flawlessly and even with the stock seat I did not get the Usual sore butt. I also did not get the sore spot between the shoulder blades that I always got with the wing.

The rt handles great and was amazes at how little turbulence there is when you pass a semi. It has rained a lot and i am very pleased with wet handeling as well. My pakit rak has worked with out a problem.

At 80 mph or better the gas mileage drops to 25 or so, but at 70 or less I have been getting around 34 so I am ok with that.

Currently in Seattle so hope the trip home is as great as the trip out.

Well, tired of iPad typing...

Willy
    Last edited by billythekidd; 05-31-2011 at 09:44 AM.
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billythekidd View Post
    Well now that I have some actual traveling miles under my belt (1600 in two days) i have to Say the rt is the right choice for me. It has ran flawlessly and even with the stock seat I did not get the Usual sore butt. I also did not get the sore spot between the shoulder blades that I always got with the wing.

The rt handles great and was amazes at how little turbulence there is when you pass a semi. It has rained a lot and i am very pleased with wet handeling as well. My pakit rak has worked with out a problem.

At 80 mph or better the gas mileage drops to 25 or so, but at 70 or less I have been getting around 34 so I am ok with that.

Currently in Seattle so hope the trip home is as great as the trip out.

Well, tired of iPad typing...

Willy
    Willy, I, too, started getting sore shoulder blades while on my Wing (61K) but do not on the RT. I have not been riding much, as I don't do well in this heat. I have 1950 miles on BR1 and am starting to really like it. It is a keeper. I run 70-75 and get 29-30 so I am happy with that. I get 31-33 on my GW trike.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Smile HAM RADIO OPERATOR

I answered my own question....see below.

I am a ham radio operator (WB5WFW) and should have figured out the low/dis setting. It is a RF Attenuator switch. I have one on my amateur radio transceiver. It puts an attenuator in the antenna circuit protecting the RF amplifier and mixer from overload on strong input signals. This means that if you are close to another CB and they key up, it could damage your unit.

I had not seen these terms used before, but finally gave it some thought....and now we know.
    I really enjoy reading all your posts. I am retired also, and have lots of time to post also. LOL. I have been a Ham Radio Operator since I was young (or younger). Call is : WB2MFL . I wish the RTS/SE5 was quieter and a bit smoother, as is my 09 Burgman 650 scooter.

Gordon