Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by syclemom View Post
    After you try your current tire pressure might try 21-22psi. shocks at max. concensus is a much more planted feel in curves , less squirm of the sidewall, just put general car tires on the wifes and the stiffer sidewall she says is better yet , ride quality still awesome.
    Okay on the air pressure...up a bit on the recommended pressure...what brand and size auto tires? Are these for a RT or RS? You info does not say but the pic is of a RT....the wifes?? or yours....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

George, you have a 2011, so the front shocks are ok at 3, maybe 4.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    George, you have a 2011, so the front shocks are ok at 3, maybe 4.
    It is my understanding from Lamont's and other's posts that the 2011 has upgraded front shocks. I have them set on 4. Will move them to 3 and 5 as I progress to find the "sweet spot" on BR1. I ride alone so once I find it....it will stay at those settings.

It has been very windy the last couple of days. I did not ride. Will be busy tomorrow morning as the pest control guy is coming to spray the yard and around the foundation for scorpions. I killed my first one for the year yesterday. Gotta get them rascals early before they get in the house.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Default tires

Spyder is my wifes I ride a Venture, she now has 25000mi. and running 175/65/14 General Altimax RT fronts and a 215/60/15 Michelin Hydroedge rear , she says best handling yet. Running 21psi. frts. 18.5 psi. rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, the Wing has over 100 pounds of torque and when cold, the FI will run up the rpms some and you will move a slow pace for a few feet. I have not noticed the front wheel moving when hitting bumps, etc. My Wing is very smooth and runs like a hose.

Last evening I took BR1 out to one of my favorite twisty roads...up and down small hills, short, sharp turns, some 180 degrees and climbing while in the turns...fun and ya gotta pay attention. No guard rails for the folks who look right and the turn is left....

BR1 did pretty well with this exercise and I did enjoy it's auto downshifting for me when in the 180 turns going uphill.

I then went out on IH10W and purposely got behind several 18 wheelers, running 70-75mph. The backdraft from the trucks effects BR1, moving me back and forth with the draft. I pulled up close to the trucks and dropped back for different effects. My Wing also reacts to these drafts, but not quite as bad as RT1. I was running my windshield full up and forgot to lower it to see how it did. Wing windshield is always full up as you have to stop to adjust it.

I reduced my air pressure to 16 #, down from 18 and did not notice much difference....some, but very little. I set my rear shock from firm to soft and back several times and feel RT1 handles better with a little firmer setting.

Tomorrow, I ride with my Sat. group, the Hill Country Road Riders. We are older, mostly long time riders, of all brands of scoots. (I will be the only Spyder, but three other trikes) Our route to breakfast will take us on some twisties and serious curves northwest of San Antonio...another workout for BR1.

Last edited by Mr. White; 04-08-2011 at 06:59 PM.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rode Saturday with some high winds....blew me around more than on my Wing trike. I will go back to 18 # in the front tires and see if it gives me better stability, as the RT tends to wander. As I have said, the single front wheel of the Wing gives a gyroscopic effect at speeds, the RT does seem to do this. The RT is comfortble, but I am going to have to adjust my Kewlmetal foot pegs for little more leg room.

My fingers got cramped with the small hand grips. My Wing had the same size when I bought it. I exchanged them to Kuri ISO grips and will do the same on my RT. I may loose my heated grips, but the size is a bigger issue. Maybe there is a grip that fits over the present heated grip so I have both size and heat.

My BRP dealer installed CB seems transmit okay,but the receive is poor. I ride with the same group and at 1/2 to 3/4 miles, I hear them clearly on the Wing, but after 2-300 yards, the receive is garbled and broken up. Not happy with this.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

George - I had t add a set of grip puppies to my RT. Still get plenty of heat, but the fatter grips are more comfortable..
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where can I get them. That sounds like what I need.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Kuryakan Clam Shell

Some have adapted the Kuryakan GL1800 Clam Shell for their RT's, including me.

If you don't mind trimming the ends of your grips off, and grinding the paddle shifter a tad, if you have the SE5, then that is the way to go. The heat, set on high, transfers just fine through the shells.

I really like the feel of Kuryakan ISO grips and I am glad I did this mod. There is a post by Lamonster giving you a step by step run down on the install.

Spyder Garage

George - Amazon has a set for $9 - They go on with NO mods, and work well..

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Grab-Grips-GRAB--COVERS-MC402/dp/B000WJAH5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302644407&sr=8-1[/ame]
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Wink

George- In regards to your CB I am sure you did this already... But just in case...

Go into the master settings screen where most adjustments like clock, trailer, radio, etc are... Select the CB... Change it from LC or LO (Local) to DX (Distance.... Only writing that for those not in the know).

Then once done... Hit MODE a few times to get to the CB itself on the screen. Now adjust the squelch setting (Has a little antenna transmitting looking emblem). Keep in mind I always screw it up as I think the bar going up means more, but it might mean less. For example... More than once I have cussed our RT in the same screen (Far right setting) on the mic or VOX sensitivity. I have moved it up thinking it makes it more sensitive, when in fact what that is doing is lowering the amount of noise it can hear, requiring a louder voice to turn on the VOX (Great for when using an open lid or half helmet).

These two adjustments helped us tremendously. As we had a very similar issue with ours. Only other issue we had was the normal hum when a ground not proper. Once the grounding issue was resolved we have been happy with about 1 mile mountain roads CB usage and 2-3 miles straight line usage...

Now... If you have already done this, the bike needs to most likely go back to the dealer and have all the grounds checked and or the connections in the kit.

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 04-12-2011 at 07:15 PM.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    George- In regards to your CB I am sure you did this already... But just in case...

Go into the master settings screen where most adjustments like clock, trailer, radio, etc are... Select the CB... Change it from LC or LO (Local) to DX (Distance.... Only writing that for those not in the know).

Then once done... Hit MODE a few times to get to the CB itself on the screen. Now adjust the squelch setting (Has a little antenna transmitting looking emblem). Keep in mind I always screw it up as I think the bar going up means more, but it might mean less. For example... More than once I have cussed our RT in the same screen (Far right setting) on the mic or VOX sensitivity. I have moved it up thinking it makes it more sensitive, when in fact what that is doing is lowering the amount of noise it can hear, requiring a louder voice to turn on the VOX (Great for when using an open lid or half helmet).

These two adjustments helped us tremendously. As we had a very similar issue with ours. Only other issue we had was the normal hum when a ground not proper. Once the grounding issue was resolved we have been happy with about 1 mile mountain roads CB usage and 2-3 miles straight line usage...

Now... If you have already done this, the bike needs to most likely go back to the dealer and have all the grounds checked and or the connections in the kit.

I hope this helps!
    I had it on DX when I had the problem. I had the squelch in the middle. I think the lower the bar, the lower the squelch because I had it quite low and could pick up the electrical radiation from power lines when I went under them. I still had the problem. When I moved it up the bar the radiation did not break the squelch. I will keep fooling with it and once set, hands off...ha ha Thanks...at least yours works. When I go in for the 600, I will have them look at the grounds, etc.

I don't use the mic or VOX...no passenger...My helmet (FF) mic seems to work okay.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    George - Amazon has a set for $9 - They go on with NO mods, and work well..

http://www.amazon.com/Grab-Grips-GRA...2644407&sr=8-1
    Thanks Dragon. Powersports is in Austin, TX....not far. I will get a pair....I appreciate you help.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rode my Wing Thursday in 30 mph crosswinds and BR1 today in simular wind conditions....The Wing is somewhat better, but BR1 hung in and I enjoyed my ride. I am liking BR1 better with each ride.

I got my CB working pretty well....receive is working better for whatever reason...I probably had the squelch too tight.....or ?

Anyway, things are looking up for the Spyder. It finally dawned on me that this is a Spyder and the Gold Wing is a Wing...duh. Both are great rides....different, but great machines...

Last edited by Mr. White; 04-17-2011 at 11:28 AM.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

George, it really does take a couple of hundred miles for that realization to sink in.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    George, it really does take a couple of hundred miles for that realization to sink in.
    Yes, it does. My first 250-300 were comparing it to my Wing and not that "this is a Spyder". My next 200 were enjoyable and I am really liking BR1. I have been changing the air pressure in the front tires and have settled on 18# and 4 on my shocks. I may well invest in a Lamont tractor seat later on. I will be getting the 600 inspection this week and will be able to up the rpm's a little. I have been alternating between 3500 and 5500 for break in.

I took BR1 to the Texas Trike Reunion picnic yesterday afternoon. There were three other Spyders at our reunion, two RS and one RT. The RT was from Atlanta, Ga and left early due to severe WX in his home area. Anyway, we had about 70 trikes there and many liked the looks and color of BR1. They were impressed with the storage space and overall design.

We had a great reunion. We just meet, ride and eat and have no vendors or sales booths. It costs no money to come and talk trikes.

The two RS's were yellow/black and tricked out. Beautiful. One had a muffler (I use the term loosly) that you could hear for 1/2 mile and it kicked up gravel for 20 minutes. It made the Harley trikers weep.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

George,

I just got my Corbin w/Lamonster cut last week. So far it is the most comfortable seat I've owned, and I've had a number of them - including the REALLY expensive Russell. I got the small oval backrest too - this gives a really nice upright seating position, and the lack of support/squishiness of the stock seat is gone.

On my RS' Corbin, I found that a BeadRider cover really helped when it got hot - and a (spandex) suncover for short stops helped too ($50 for both +/-). Keeps the seat cool when you stop, and allows air movement when you're rolling.

Also, keeps your privates dry, if you happen to be caught in the rain…
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Dragon. Some of my friends have the beads and like them. It is now getting hot here and will get a lot hotter soon. I may have to try them...

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I took Big Red 1 in for his 600 mile checkup and all is well Spyder wise. The oil was clean with very little debris on the plug. As reported earlier, the CB is poor at best. They rode his and checked the transceiver and all connections and found nothing wrong except it does not work very well. Transmit and receive is not readable more than 200 yards at best. Any further and it is scratchy and with static.

They are going to request a new system from BRP...no BS like "it works okay and that is the way they work" crap....good dealer.

I now have 800 miles on BR1 and pushed it a little on the way home...rowing through the gears at 5,000 to 7,500 rpm at two or three stoplights and then settled down to 5,000-5,500 cruse to the ranch. It runs well...good power band (if used properly) and I am getting 30 mpg now. I don't baby it or short shift. (I don't have to pay for my gasoline)

I am running 18 in front and 30 in the rear, up from 26. Seems to handle better for me with these pressures. Shocks are set on 4.

The am/fm radio system is not as good (clear) as my Wing, and does not pull in the stations at the same distance as the Wing. I think the problem is the BRP headset I have in my helmet.

I ride several country roads with bridges. One bridge has several large bumps where the sections connect and it rattles my teeth on my Wing, but BR1 takes them in stride...much smoother.

Last edited by Mr. White; 04-28-2011 at 07:26 PM.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=IWN2RYD;305769]George- In regards to your CB I am sure you did this already... But just in case...

Go into the master settings screen where most adjustments like clock, trailer, radio, etc are... Select the CB... Change it from LC or LO (Local) to DX (Distance.... Only writing that for those not in the know).]

Just checked my master settings screen and don't see a CB setting. I must be missing something, any hints please?

Mike
    Last edited by MangoMike; 04-29-2011 at 12:40 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    I took Big Red 1 in for his 600 mile checkup and all is well Spyder wise. The oil was clean with very little debris on the plug. As reported earlier, the CB is poor at best. They rode his and checked the transceiver and all connections and found nothing wrong except it does not work very well. Transmit and receive is not readable more than 200 yards at best. Any further and it is scratchy and with static.

They are going to request a new system from BRP...no BS like "it works okay and that is the way they work" crap....good dealer.

I now have 800 miles on BR1 and pushed it a little on the way home...rowing through the gears at 5,000 to 7,500 rpm at two or three stoplights and then settled down to 5,000-5,500 cruse to the ranch. It runs well...good power band (if used properly) and I am getting 30 mpg now. I don't baby it or short shift. (I don't have to pay for my gasoline)

I am running 18 in front and 30 in the rear, up from 26. Seems to handle better for me with these pressures. Shocks are set on 4.

The am/fm radio system is not as good (clear) as my Wing, and does not pull in the stations at the same distance as the Wing. I think the problem is the BRP headset I have in my helmet.

I ride several country roads with bridges. One bridge has several large bumps where the sections connect and it rattles my teeth on my Wing, but BR1 takes them in stride...much smoother.

I was wondering, why don't you have to pay for your gas?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My neighbor in the next place over from me has a number of vehicles, trucks, etc. He has a 250 gallon storage tank out back of his barn. At 0400 his bull is always asleep so I sneak over with a couple of 5 gallon gas cans and he never misses the gas.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[quote=MangoMike;313081]
    Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post

Go into the master settings screen where most adjustments like clock, trailer, radio, etc are... Select the CB... Change it from LC or LO (Local) to DX (Distance.... Only writing that for those not in the know).]

Just checked my master settings screen and don't see a CB setting, yet my BRP installed CB is attached and turned on. I must be missing something, any hints please?

Mike
    Start with Audio, go right to CB then right to LO/DIS. Highlight DIS and that is it.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Thanks George, I found it, mine was set to long distance.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FYI: I am getting 29-30 mpg on my RT and get 30-32 on my Wing trike. I don't baby or short shift either one. Some say I may get better on the RT after a few more miles. If I could get 32 I would be pleased. I have 850 on it now and 60K on the trike.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA