Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gordon, good show on the ham ticket. I went through the AF radio school in 1952, flew a few years on a cargo plane during and after the Korean War. Did my hitch, stayed in the reserves, went to college, got a commission and went back in, retiring in 1981...then worked for Sony Corp. for 14 years and retired from them. I also have a 2003 Burgman 650 scooter...a great ride, but I am riding it less and less with the Wing trike and now Big Red 1. I really like my RT...more with each ride.

73 WB5WFW

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Default GW 1800 VS CanAm RTS/SE5

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    As I said, I would post my thoughts and opinions on my Gold Wing Motor Trike and new RT-S.

I picked up the 2011 RT on Tuesday, March 29 and rode it home, about 100 miles. As you know it is very different from the Wing. Apples and Oranges as some of you say. My '02 Wing ('05 kit) has a rake kit (4.5 degrees) for easier steering and Progressive springs in the front forks. It has OEM CB, AM/FM and an add on XM radio. The audio works very well, with smooth, easy to use toggle switches and push buttons on the consol. The 1832cc engine is smooth with no vibration. My MT kit has air adjustable rear shocks with an on board compressor. I have a solid axle from a Mustang V6 with the Mustang disc brakes on the rear 235R 60 15 tires. The Wing has 105 pounds torque and 106 hp. It is a five speed manual.

I am not a wrench, I am a rider since a ratty 5 hp scooter in 1948. These are my opinions and certainly won't be yours. I will not defend or debate my statements....nor yours.

My RT-S SE5 has BRP CB/GPS/XM radio. I spent two hours trying with little success to tune and set channels on the AM/FM and XM radio. Very confusing and clumsy, much more time consuming than the Wing. My first longer ride, this Saturday of about 180 miles with fourteen other riders on mostly country blacktop backroads. The RT rode and handled pretty well. It understeers in tighter corners and is very touchy to steering input. (I have 18# in the front tires and will reduce that to 16) I have not taken the time to set up the RT as I did the Wing.

I am very disappointed in the audio output to my full face helmet with BRP ear phone and mic. With the volume all the way up on any of the radios, I could bearly make out voices or music unless stopped. My Wing has outstanding output at any speed. I suspect there is a simple fix, I just have not had time to find it.

The RT has good power with it's 80 # of torque and 100 hp.

I topped of the tank before I left with my group. We rode 30-70 moh, with speeds varing often. My gauge went in the red zone @ 120 miles, but the red fuel light did not come on. I was surpirsed when I took 4.8 gal. with 138 on the odometer (which is very accurate as checked against my GPS) for 28.3 mpg. With a 6.6 gallon tank, I think the fuel gauge should be more accurate.

In closing for now, I learned one thing I would not have thought of had I not owned a Wing. The front wheel generated a huge gyroscopic effect on the trike, keeping it steady on line at speed...a GW trike will fall off on a crowned road at low speeds and you have to keep right hand pressure on the hamdlebar.

More later. George Lewis
    Oct. 15, 2011
    I haven't compared the GW1800 Trike since I haven't ridden one yet. I did sell my 06 GL1800 today and decided to keep just the RTS/SE5. If there would have been a GW Trike available when I bought my 2011 RTS, I would have liked to compare the difference. I sold the Wing because it was too heavy for me in sharp turns and turing into parking places. I was nervous making those turns. However, the bike is fast, smooth and quiet. If the RTS had the GW engine it would be awesome. Yet I think that lots of people like the feel of the twin engine.
    Gordon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I rode Punkin' ('02 Wing w/Motor Trike kit) last Wednesday and today for a total of 350 or so miles. The GW trike is a little heavier in the steering dept. until I get up to speed, then it is like sitting in my Lazy-Boy chair. As you might think, the Wing is stronger than BR1, but BR1 will sure run with the proper rpm's applied to the rear tire. There were eighteen bikes today, all makes, riding to breakfast. Punkin' ran flawlessly as usual.

I believe BR1 is more comfortable FOR ME, the way I have it set up now. Front shocks on 4, front tires at 18, rear 28 with the rear shock set in the middle of the gauge. So far, this is working for me...I have not changed the air pressures recently, just too lazy.

I really enjoy BR1 now with only 4,700 miles on him. I had the one hicup with the DPS sensor, but nothing since it was changed out. I sold my Burgman 650...just was not riding it...always climb on BR1 or Punkin'. Got my price.

One instance today. We were running the speed limit, 70, on a nice sweeping curvy road outside of Bandera, TX, having a good time. THEN, here they came! The sweep said on his CB, 'headlights coming at high speed." I knew it was the San Antonio Sport Bike riders, out for their Saturday ZOOM. Ha, ha, we were on a two lane road, so we pulled over to the right white line and hung on. About ten or twelve went by in the left lane when clear ahead and our lane when it wasn't. Riding my trike, I got over as far as I could. ZOOOOOM, they passed us at 100-110+...hmmm, I thought my engine had quit....and they were gone. These boys are excellent riders and don't crash often....but when they do....ADIOS!

Overall, a great day. The scoots were out today.

Last edited by Mr. White; 09-05-2012 at 07:31 PM.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have not posted for a while. I have about 4,900 miles on BR1 with no problems other than the DPS magnet going out and replaced in ten minutes. BR1 is a dandy. I am riding my Wing less and less. The Spyder has a lighter feel and rides very well. I will keep my Wing as I do love it too. Due to a local problem I was unable to ride our groups first long distance lunch ride....ie, leave at 0900, ride 175 or so, eat lunch and ride back. My problem here is I have to ride 45 miles to get to our starting place...so I would have 400+...hated to miss it, but we are now in our "winter mode" so our rides will be longer....

I am looking for ward to trying out my battery powered heated jacket liner....hope it work...

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Why not try heated gear that's wired into your bike, like Garmin. I had a Widder (no longer in business) wired into my Wing and loved it. I don't know if the Spyder has enough electrical power to run a jacket like Gerbings, but I did talk to Fred Rau about this and he uses a Gerbing jacket and raved about it. I guess as long as you're moving it would be okay.

http://gerbing.com/

Mike

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Spyder and Gerbing gear makes a good pair. I have the Gerbing lining, gloves and boot inserts. Keep me nice and warm.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I use the Gerbing jacket liner on my RT with no problems. The jacket liner is the best thing I have added, if I am cold I just turn it up, hot turn it down.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike View Post
    Why not try heated gear that's wired into your bike, like Garmin. I had a Widder (no longer in business) wired into my Wing and loved it. I don't know if the Spyder has enough electrical power to run a jacket like Gerbings, but I did talk to Fred Rau about this and he uses a Gerbing jacket and raved about it. I guess as long as you're moving it would be okay.

http://gerbing.com/

Mike
    My wife has her Gerbings turned on any time the temps drop into the 50's. I try not to run hers and mine at the same time, and she turns hers off about 5-10 minutes before we arrive at our destination, to help the battery out a bit. She also turns it off any time we're in slower traffic or stopped at a red light. If the tach is reading about 3500 rpm or better I feel OK letting her be as warm as she wants.
    Dan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also had Widder stuff wired to my Wing. As you say, they are out of business so I now have Gerbing hookups on my Wing and BR1. I am looking forward to seeing how the Gerbing battery powered jacket works. I don't use any heated gear above 45-50 degrees. As my Spyder is a 2011, I don't know how things will go. I rode in the 20's on my Wing with a vest and gloves. I have a pair of flannel lined jeans that are very toasty....Never had heated grips before so I am anxious to see how that goes too.

Good problem is here in South Texas, it will be 30 at 0730 and 50 at 1130 and 65 at 1530. Works for me.

Another reason I bought the battery powered jacket is I can wear it when I am on my tractor in chilly WX as it is portable and I can move around the property easier with less clothes.

Last edited by Mr. White; 09-05-2012 at 07:32 PM.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As an update, it got cool, 30 degrees, so I rode BR1 with the heated grips and my battery operated Gerbling jacket under my regular jacket. I was warm as could be. Worked great. I also have a pair of flannel lined jeans that are just fine. Works for me.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I rode my Gold Wing Trike yesterday in 95+ degrees. It is cooler than BR1 in this level of heat. Oh, it was hot, just less engine heat on my legs and feet. Punkin' has more torque and smooth as glass. No vibs at all. Neither does BR1...I love them both. Won't sell Punkin' as I could not get what he is worth to me and maintenance is very low. 7,000 miles on BR1 and 61,000 on Punkin'.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Good to see you back on the board, George.
    I wasn't too far from you last month but had left your contact data.
    May get out there again one of these days.
    Enjoy reading about you, BR1 and Punkin.
    I should have bought your Burgman. I miss mine some times but not too much.
    Cappy in Mississippi
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.

Spyder Garage

I can only add one thing here.

I really enjoy the "Y" architecture of the Spyder.
    In my opinion, it's far superior to a standard trike.
    If Honda ever makes a "Y" type trike, their legendary reliability will have them taking the market by storm.
    BRP's customer service is EXCELLENT. EXCELLENT beyond measure.
    But I'd prefer reliability, and not requiring any customer service.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have not been on here for a while as I started another post BR1 is in Trouble and you can read it if you wish. On July 17 I pulled up to my barn and shut the scoot off. Opened the barn door and when I started BR1 he banged badly. I trailered him to my dealer as I could not ride him and a bad ECM was placed on order. The part was received last week, five weeks later, and it did not fix the totol problem...now need a throttle body wich is on back order...

I guess I will get rid of BR1 and get 2013 Gold Wing and trike it...can not be stuck out in no where due to an unreliable machine. My second break down in 7,000 miles. Not acceptable to me.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have not been on here for a while as I started another post BR1 is in Trouble and you can read it if you wish. On July 17 I pulled up to my barn and shut the scoot off. Opened the barn door and when I started BR1 he banged badly. I trailered him to my dealer as I could not ride him and a bad ECM was placed on order. The part was received last week, five weeks later, and it did not fix the totol problem...now need a throttle body wich is on back order...

I guess I will get rid of BR1 and get 2013 Gold Wing and trike it...can not be stuck out in no where due to an unreliable machine. My second break down in 7,000 miles. Not acceptable to me.

We are really going to miss you around here. If I were you I would wait to see what new comes out. I can say that I have over 6000 miles on mine now and not a minutes problem. And I know BRP is trying hard to make all of their new spyders that way. Just saying we would love for you to stay with us.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

Default WTF ?

My neighbor in the next place over from me has a number of vehicles, trucks, etc. He has a 250 gallon storage tank out back of his barn. At 0400 his bull is always asleep so I sneak over with a couple of 5 gallon gas cans and he never misses the gas.

This the best post on the website. My hats off to you George

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Grandpa, I am thinking of sticking around until my BEST warranty expires in Mar. 2016 or until my trailer that I carry BR1 back and forth to my dealer (100 miles round trip) wears out. I may just keep fixing BR1 and in Feb. 2016...sell, sell, sell.

Steve, things in this country are getting bad. Gas is pushing $4 here (higher in other parts of the U.S.) and last Wed. night, there was a line of my neighbors filling their 5 gallon cans at my neighbors 250 gallon tank. As neighbor will do, they got to visiting and talking loud. It woke Temper up (Temper, the bad long horn bull). I was lucky. I always wear my tennis shoes and I out ran another guy to the fence....he is 83 and I am 80 next week. Temper got him....

I have a hard time sleeping now, as I still hear his screams....I sure hope gas prices go down so there won't be a crowd at the tank.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

....I sure hope gas prices go down so there won't be a crowd at the tank.

I sure hope you don't leave us George.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Grandpa, I am thinking of sticking around until my BEST warranty expires in Mar. 2016 or until my trailer that I carry BR1 back and forth to my dealer (100 miles round trip) wears out. I may just keep fixing BR1 and in Feb. 2016...sell, sell, sell.

Steve, things in this country are getting bad. Gas is pushing $4 here (higher in other parts of the U.S.) and last Wed. night, there was a line of my neighbors filling their 5 gallon cans at my neighbors 250 gallon tank. As neighbor will do, they got to visiting and talking loud. It woke Temper up (Temper, the bad long horn bull). I was lucky. I always wear my tennis shoes and I out ran another guy to the fence....he is 83 and I am 80 next week. Temper got him....

I have a hard time sleeping now, as I still hear his screams....I sure hope gas prices go down so there won't be a crowd at the tank.

Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

Default Hold on here

I read in another post of yours, the wife got a big promotion. This does not seem fair to those 83 year olds on SS at the tank with you.Maybe next time you give them a little headstart?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am sorry, but when that bull comes out of his shed, I am on my way. I can not be waiting around for the old guys. I turned 80 last Wednesday. I brought BR1 home yesterday and he is running very well. I really hope he hangs in for me. I don't do unreliability very well. Our group has a long ride scheduled for Saturday's breakfast run so I will take BR1 and see how he performs.

I do want to keep him, but with the money rolling in from the wife's promotion at the sawmill, I will be short tempered with BR1 if he fails me and get another Wing trike. More later.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA