Spyder Garage

Default $$ ESICycle Accessories $$

Okay, I've bitten the bullet. Yesterday I went up onto ESICycles and ordered sets of front fender tips, front brightsides and mudflap lights for my Spyder RT-S. Also ordered a second shorty antenna and a Reda gas can. Total: $404.00. I was looking for a SpyderLovers.com discount code but ...

Question: When installing the fendertips, brightsides and mudflap lights, the instructions are telling me to jack the Spyder and remove the wheels. Is this really necessary? I would think simple loosening/removal of the fenders would suffice. I'd like to hear others' experiences.

~ Surfer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    Okay, I've bitten the bullet. Yesterday I went up onto ESICycles and ordered sets of front fender tips, front brightsides and mudflap lights for my Spyder RT-S. Also ordered a second shorty antenna and a Reda gas can. Total: $404.00. I was looking for a SpyderLovers.com discount code but ...

Question: When installing the fendertips, brightsides and mudflap lights, the instructions are telling me to jack the Spyder and remove the wheels. Is this really necessary? I would think simple loosening/removal of the fenders would suffice. I'd like to hear others' experiences.

~ Surfer
    It might be possible to do the mudflap lights without removing the fenders, but it would be a huge PITA! I tried, then went with the instructions. Take them off, and save yourself time, trouble, busted knuckles, and cuss words. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Only $404? You got off the hook cheap. Their lights are addictive. But I always say ... you get what you pay for. You can roll on down the street all tricked out like a bad azz or you can piece meal it together like the home grown DIY.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default It can be done

It appears that by removing the four fender bolts and disconnecting the wiring plug from its female socket the fender can be removed without removing the wheels.

That being said, I admit to removing the wheels prior to removing my fenders since I was installing GloRyders on the wheels as well as doing fender light mods. Seemed like the easiest thing to do at the time and besides, I really like the sound the air impact tool makes when I remove the lug nuts.

Spyder Garage

Impact tools and chromed lug nuts don't really get along to well together!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

If you remove the wheels be careful that you don't scrape the inside of the rims. There is little clearance on the inside.

Spyder Garage

Trying to remove the fenders without removing the wheels is almost not possiable unless you have tiny, tiny hands.

Save yourself a bunch of pain and trouble and just remove the wheels.

MM
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
    Trying to remove the fenders without removing the wheels is almost not possiable unless you have tiny, tiny hands.

Save yourself a bunch of pain and trouble and just remove the wheels.

MM

Like this guy,
    Last edited by dave01; 03-30-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

On my RS I did the install by removing the fenders with the support arms from the back of the wheels. At the re it was easier than removing the wheels fore
    Sam Mancuso

Our "his and hers" Spyders. Read more about them at theotherwheel.com

Spyder Garage

I have had my fenders off three times, twice to install Mudflap lights and Brightsides, and once to replace a defective Mudflap light. Fenders were no problem to remove, just be sure to apply loc tite when you reassemble.
    I would applaud ESIC's Customer Service, one of my Mudflap Lights wires corroded off at the circuit board and had to be replaced. I received the replacement in less than a week.
    Padre Spyder & Jenny
    Riding the Dream on a Dream Ride

Spyder Garage

If you are removing the wheels, pay close attention to the torque specs when putting them back on, especially if you are using an impact wrench. The tire shop that put my black powder coated wheels on used the impact wrench, and the guys from ESI broke a couple of wrenches in Daytona trying to get them off last year to install the mud flap lights on mine.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Like this guy,

Now that's funny!

MM
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Spyder Garage

Someone needs to photoshop in a Spyder fender onto his lap.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Yup, I also removed the fender via the support arms. Hopefully next time I'll have a larger garage and more room to work! But the Spyder looks sweet now!!!! HID's being installed as we speak!