Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JonGalt View Post
    I get 13.9-14Vdc with the engine running. When I turn it off I am back to 12.72Vdc. The day before I was at 12.98Vdc
    Sounds fine to me. I don't think there's a problem.

Spyder Garage

Checked the battery again and I'm at 12.58Vdc! I haven't done anything and all I did was walk away for an hour. I am going to ride tomorrow and see if it comes back up after a 25mile trip on the highway.

2011 Spyder RT-S SE5 - OEM

Spyder Garage

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Sounds fine to me. I don't think there's a problem.
    I hope your right, I'll just keep an eye on it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    I love that one! I want that meter! I thought if the battery was below 12.6Vdc than it was problem, but looking at his voltage of 11Vdc at 30F it would appear normal for the battery voltage to fluctuate quite a bit.

Spyder Garage

Standard tests for the Spyder battery are:

1. Should charge at 13.0-14.0 volts at 4,000 rpm.

2. The battery should retain a minimum of 12.6 volts several hours after fully charging, and removing the charger. I suggest testing the following morning, after removing the charger the night before.

3. When cranking (with the throttle held wide open to prevent starting) the voltage should remain above 10.0 volts.

If the first test fails, the charging system has problems. The second test indicates a weak battery. The last test is a load test and also indicates a weaken battery that has lost starting capacity. Sulfated batteries, which can happen by using the wrong charger, or letting an uncharged battery sit for an extended period, often fail the second test. If the battery is marginal now, but starts your Spyder fine, I'd wait a while before insisting on a battery replacement under warranty. You have six months. The more it has failed, the more likely the dealer is to replace it no questions asked. Please also note that loose or dirty connections can cause the battery to charge improperly, and to fail some of these tests. Always check the connections (at the battery itself) first.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Cool 1080P HD Video of Logitech HD Camera Mounted to my Spyder!

Today I temporarily mounted a Logitech HD computer camera to my Spyder's dash and ran the usb cable to the back storage. I connected to my Lenovo Tablet and recorded a 7 minute 1080P HD video of my drive and edited it and set it to some music when I got home. After hours of waiting to upload to you tube it is finally ready to watch. I will need to remount the camera past the windshield to get rid of the aberations, but it's pretty neat for a first attempt. Enjoy!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGcYrmhtxJc[/ame]

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Saw ya'll at Daytona this past bike week. I saw that set up and meant to get with ya and talk about how you did that. Interesting to say the least. Perhaps you'll be at Spyderfest? I won't be so timid if ya'll are.

Chris PE# 0004
    You saw InspectorGadget..not me! I ve been in WA all winter.

The rack is pretty much the same thing he has on his, I just had it made to certain dimensions to accommodate the dog carrier.

Spyder Garage

Today I temporarily mounted a Logitech HD computer camera to my Spyder's dash and ran the usb cable to the back storage. I connected to my Lenovo Tablet and recorded a 7 minute 1080P HD video of my drive and edited it and set it to some music when I got home. After hours of waiting to upload to you tube it is finally ready to watch. I will need to remount the camera past the windshield to get rid of the aberations, but it's pretty neat for a first attempt. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGcYrmhtxJc
    That was a pretty cool setup.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Standard tests for the Spyder battery are:

1. Should charge at 13.0-14.0 volts at 4,000 rpm.

Check

2. The battery should retain a minimum of 12.6 volts several hours after fully charging, and removing the charger. I suggest testing the following morning, after removing the charger the night before.

12.58Vdc this morning

3. When cranking (with the throttle held wide open to prevent starting) the voltage should remain above 10.0 volts.

This was very hard to do with my voltmeter needle probes and only 2 hands, but I managed it. The reading didn't budge much at all.

If the first test fails, the charging system has problems. The second test indicates a weak battery. The last test is a load test and also indicates a weaken battery that has lost starting capacity. Sulfated batteries, which can happen by using the wrong charger, or letting an uncharged battery sit for an extended period, often fail the second test. If the battery is marginal now, but starts your Spyder fine, I'd wait a while before insisting on a battery replacement under warranty. You have six months. The more it has failed, the more likely the dealer is to replace it no questions asked. Please also note that loose or dirty connections can cause the battery to charge improperly, and to fail some of these tests. Always check the connections (at the battery itself) first.

Thanks for the info Scotty

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info Scotty
    The battery appears to be marginal, but it is barely below specs. If you are not having starting problems or error codes any more, I would ride it for a while. If it deteriorates further, then ask for a replacement. You might mention to the dealer that is just below the spec, and see if they will order a fresh battery for you based on your tests. It never hurts to ask. If they say no, just ride it until there is no doubt. I suspect it just sat on the showroom floor too long. You might even be able to bring it back, using an Xtreme pulse charger (available from ESI?).
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    2/100 of a volt off on a digital voltmeter ...
    man, you're strict ...
    Well, a good one is well above the cutoff, and the spec is for the battery to be above 12.6, so I feel it is marginal. 12.7 is usually considered to be the normal minimum acceptable voltage. A real good battery will read higher, still. Teetering on the edge like this, it is the dealer's call...for now.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Yeah, that's true enough.

I guess what I was really remarking about was the accuracy/error of the average 4 1/2 digit voltmeter.
    Yea, I'm still satisfied with an analog meter, but they are becoming as scarce as slide rules. I never pay much attention to anything beyond one decimal place, for the stuff I do.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Close enough for govenment work; right?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry I haven't posted lately, but I have been enjoying my Spyder and hit 300 miles today. I take it in next week to get it checked out and have the front nose piece replaced (from damage from loading/unloading it from the trailer). The dealership had my extended B.E.S.T. Warranty extended out an additional 2 years! I'm covered for 5 years if anything else goes wrong! I guess for all my whining I can't really fault the dealer's response in dealing with me every step of the way. The battery is holding a charge and everything seems great now. I can now offer my full support and recommendation to Triangle Cycles.

If you are in Triangle Area in NC visit Triangle Cycles at:

Triangle Cycles
    4503 Chapel Hill Boulevard
    Durham, NC 27707
    Phone: (919) 489-7478
    Fax: (919) 493-1850

They also have a dealer in Danville VA http://www.trianglecycles.com/

Update:
    I got my Sena Bluetooth headset for my helmet and love it for GPS, phone, & music. I wish all bluetooth headsets worked as easily and reliably.
    Question:
    Anyone have recommendation for a newbie looking for easy to get on and off riding pants that are summer breathably?I'm sick of wearing jeans in the summer and realize they don't offer the same protection, but I want something that is cool, safe, and especially easy to get on and off.

Happy Ryding

Thanks for everyone in this forum for all the encouragement and help cutting my teeth on my first motor-spyder
    Last edited by JonGalt; 04-15-2011 at 06:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

Either way having a dealer that is almost an hour away doesn't help matters at all.
    Good dealers are NOT a-dime-a-dozen. I found a good one that is about 150mi from my home. The 300mi round trip is worth every minute. Find a good dealer and then stick with him. (Being 150mi each way means 3+ hours each way) Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar