Thread: 12 volt adapter

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Boots's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 12 volt adapter

Has anyone installed a 12 volt adapter to charge my cellphone or GPS ? They say you need to remove the trunk.After that is removed do you just plug the adapter in ?

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carousel1958 View Post
    Has anyone installed a 12 volt adapter to charge my cellphone or GPS ? They say you need to remove the trunk.After that is removed do you just plug the adapter in ?
    Installing the 12V outlet in the trunk usually requires removing the trunk. It can be done without that, but it is difficult. The steps involved are cutting a hole in the trunk back in the correct place, installing the outlet in the hole, finding the switched (or unswitched) accessory harness and connecting it to the outlet, and putting a 3 amp fuse in the appropriate slot in the fusebox. After reassembly, you should have a powered outlet, either switched (when the engine is running) or unswitched (hot all the time). Plug in your charging adapter and you are ready to go. As Doc has shown, there are alternative outlets and locations. These all require special wiring.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have installed the Helibar system on my 2008 SE5 GS. What I did is run an additional #12 fused (30A) cable from the battery to the right front area under the panel that's under the windshield. There I installed another 15A fuse and continued the hot line to a cigarette lighter socket installed in the center of the plug in the center of the Helibar handlebar setup. I ran another #12 cable from the front right bolt that secures the gas tank for a good ground. Actually I installed two fuses in front to power an electronic rear view mirror also. That one has a 1A fuse. I ran the new power cable so as not to tap into the OEM hot cable that supplies current to the OEM fuse box. I thought what I was doing might cause a problem with the Spyder's computer system so I went around that. I wanted the close by 12V outlet in the event I purchase a GPS or a CB radio for an upcoming trip to Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah. And I'm the oldest m/c rider in all of mexico
    Last edited by Arthur---Mexico; 03-30-2011 at 01:18 AM.

Spyder Garage

If you happen to have an RT...

Results in......

As Scotty says, this takes some amount of custom work. BUT... you get the outlet up front where you need it.

Spyder Garage

Default Dual 12 volt

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Question what gauge wire did you utilize or could you tell me how you extend the factor harness pass what seems like 6 inches of available wiring? In addition, did you splice the wiring to get the dual connectors or run a secondary wire?

Leo Vince Ti pipe, Juice Box, o2, Evoluzione Race air flow kit, 155 spring, and a Mad paint job
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...p?albumid=1117
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...p?albumid=1061

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

as mentioned previous, mounting the 12 volt adapter can be done without removing the trunk but is NOT PRETTY. I have the trunk adapter as well as a different one on the dash, wiring of this is not difficult , but makes it easier if you have the canbus system ( hope that is correct ), it is a series of electrical connections mounted behind your instrument cluster, a wonderfull system and for more hookups than you probably need. Have stereo and other goodies on mine and still have maybe 4 spots left . Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Default Just a thought

I use a Battery Tender and have the quick connect plug lead under my seat. Had previously bought a 12v outlet to use on another bike that plugs into the Battery Tender leads on the Spyder. It works just like any other 12v receptacle and I do not have to cut into anything. You can make your leads any length you want so you can put the receptacle anywhere without cutting into bike panels.

Works well plus does not interfere with any other electrical stuff.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hey Boots. You should have said something at Cuba. I have mine installed on the left side, behind the Air Wings and above the painted cover. There are alot of different locations that works good.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERGUY1 View Post
    as mentioned previous, mounting the 12 volt adapter can be done without removing the trunk but is NOT PRETTY. I have the trunk adapter as well as a different one on the dash, wiring of this is not difficult , but makes it easier if you have the canbus system ( hope that is correct ), it is a series of electrical connections mounted behind your instrument cluster, a wonderfull system and for more hookups than you probably need. Have stereo and other goodies on mine and still have maybe 4 spots left . Hope this helps.

Hey Spyderguy,

Would you happen to have a picture of this CanBus system, how can I find out if I have one or not.

I would also like to add fog lights or driving lamps, where should and what should I tap into.

Thanks

Dom

Spyder Garage

I have an RT and added a 12v outlet to power my cell phone. I ran a fused wire to the battery for the hot side and tapped into a ground near the outlet. I installed a dash mounted holder for the cell phone as shown below.

2012 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Pure Magnesium
    www.JerryandCynthia.com - Our Riding Adventures