Thread: Good price?

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Good price?

I am considering trading my '09 RS SE5 (6,000 + mi.) with Seal FloorBoards, 25" Lee Bailey windshield, 5" HeliBar risers and LED license plate cover for a 2010 RTS SE5 with BRP GPS, CB, and cover. It has 16,000 miles and has been completely gone over. Mint condition and more than 1/2 left on the tires. Has service records. This is thru a very well known and highly respected dealer. He is asking $10,000. and my RS. Does this sound like a good deal. I have very little experience in tis area. Any imput would be appreciated. Thanks all.

John
    Seal FloorBoards

Registered Users fordguyupnorth's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

john, my opinion is NO WAY JOSE! your bike should bring $12k-$13k all day long being a 09 and an se5. (keep in mind i am talking retail not trade in) i thought i "stole" my 08 rs with 4k miles for $10k. i feel for a 08 rts with 16k miles you should be able to buy one for $18k...ish. because of the miles. for whatever its worth if you exercised a smidgen of patience and listed your bike on ebay or craigslist you will ABSOLUTELY get $12k-$13k or more. then go out shopping in a much better position than your in if you have to trade your's in! look on craigslist and ebay for used rts's and you should find them with much fewer miles for $20k or less. just my opinion in the end if your happy thats all that matters!

Spyder Garage

Default seal floorboards.

Heck, your seal floorboards are worth a couple grand just by themselves!!! Hope you get what you want at the price you want.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

I actually think it sounds like a good deal. You have 16,000 miles on your 09 SE5, and you know no matter how valuable you feel your accessories are you never get the money back out of them. The RT sounds like a premiere edition with all of the bells and whistles, which likely retailed for $28K or so when it first came out. So, even if the price on the RT is $22K you would be getting $12K for your Spyder in trade. I don't think anyone is trying to pull a fast one on you with that deal.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have 6,500 mi on my RS. The RT has 16,000.mi. Quite a diff. They have it on th floor for $23.500 but will go $22,000 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    I actually think it sounds like a good deal. You have 16,000 miles on your 09 SE5, and you know no matter how valuable you feel your accessories are you never get the money back out of them. The RT sounds like a premiere edition with all of the bells and whistles, which likely retailed for $28K or so when it first came out. So, even if the price on the RT is $22K you would be getting $12K for your Spyder in trade. I don't think anyone is trying to pull a fast one on you with that deal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    I have 6,500 mi on my RS. The RT has 16,000.mi. Quite a diff. They have it on th floor for $23.500 but will go $22,000 for me.
    Doh! Sorry about that John, my eyes obviously didn't focus on that well. If that is the case, then I would try to get the cash amount you have to give them lowered by as much as you possibly can. I don't know the dealer, and don't want to take food out of their mouth, but with 16,000 miles it seems like there should be some more wiggle room than that. Especially with the 2011's being delivered now.

Best of luck working out a good deal with them.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Wink

Do what? It sounds like a great deal for the dealer!!! Just my $.02...

But the mileage does not make to much of a difference "IF" it has the BEST on it (As that warranty follows the Spyder by Vin # Not the owner). Now I would think the factory warranty is probably half used, and a small risk for the unknown to you on the RT...

That said. I have personally seen two used RT's leave the show room from an asking price of $24k go for $19500 and $20118 out the door. Both had been Audio versions.

Also.. The price on the RS is so they can make $$. Please do not feel they are lowballing you. They do have to spend some time going through it (Prep) plus overhead, sales commissions and so on. They need to be in business later after all.

So really that is a reasonable trade in offer. That I would decline and sell the Spyder on the free market as the Ryding year is about to explode. And I bet folks would pay (As mentioned above) $13k ish for it...

Cash is king...I bet if you went to that dealer with $13k cash plus how ever you originally planned it, you could get it out the door at a better price.

Look at it this way. If you can even get $11k for your RS and you negotiate the deal to $21k for the RT, you are $2000 ahead of the first deal and in far better position than you had been. You could afford to "Bling" your floorboards then!

Personally I would not trade it in if you have the time to sell the RS on your own, and pound them down to a mutually agreeable price so you are both happy. Or Your bike and $5000 ish and call it a day.
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 03-17-2011 at 11:08 PM.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.